Sunrise presenter Nat Barr shares her money-saving electricity bill tip

Rising energy prices are among the hardest financial headaches for Australian households. The fact that electricity bills seem to keep getting dearer and dearer is enough to make anybody lose their head.

But Nat Barr from Channel 7's Sunrise show isn't the kind of person to let the situation keep her up at night. Instead, she found a practical, cost-efficient way to take matters into her own hands and demonstrated it on a recent segment of the show.

Speaking on 'Hot Topics' with Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas and Herald Sun columnist Susie O'Brien, Nat informed her fellow hosts about the power price crisis, citing a shocking statistic.

'We are set to face even more power price pain into next year after the cost of generating electricity jumped a staggering 31 per cent in the three months to June,' she said.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-01 at 2.49.14 PM.jpeg
Nat shared the tip during a segment about rising power prices. Credit: Shutterstock.

But Nat wasn't done there. She then revealed her nifty strategy to help mitigate such hefty expenses.

'You know what I did yesterday? I went on to iSelect, I think it was called, and I rang them,' she said.

'I spent half an hour on the phone. I saved $400 myself over the year and changed electricity providers. Everyone can do that. I was actually surprised at how much I saved.'

For those who might not be familiar with it, iSelect is an online platform that helps with comparing and choosing various insurance, finance, and utility products. It simplifies the process for consumers to find the best options that match their needs.

Basically, iSelect lets users input their specific requirements and preferences. After that, the platform presents them with a list of relevant products from different providers, complete with prices and features.

This way, users can easily compare and select from a range of options, such as health insurance, car insurance, home loans, electricity and gas plans, and more. The goal is to make it easier for consumers to find products that suit their individual needs.

Nat continued: 'I had to supply my bills, stuff, gas and electricity—this was just on the electricity. I reckon half an hour on the phone, but I had her on speaker.'

'I was chopping up my onions as I did it and, you know, answering all the questions, but $400 over a year, that's a lot of money. That's a huge saving!'

Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas noted that, although such savings can be reasonably achieved, many people don't have the time or motivation to pursue it.

'Most people are too busy to be able to change banks, change providers, change anything,' he said.

'But you've demonstrated it can be done, and you're catching up for dinner with that lady next week!'

Nat showed that even when the world around us does its best to make our wallets lighter, a bit of savvy shopping and help from friendly customer service representatives can still help us save a buck or two.

Looking to compare and save? Why not try this comparison service powered by Compare Club?

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Nat Barr shared her simple hack for saving hundreds off her annual electricity bill in just half an hour.
  • During a ‘Hot Topics’ segment discussing rising power prices, Nat revealed she saved $400 by switching electricity providers through iSelect.
  • Even while preparing dinner, Nat managed to go through her bills and make the switch, highlighting how easy it was to achieve significant savings.
  • It prompted a discussion about how many people perceive changing providers as too much work, but Nat's example demonstrated it's feasible and can lead to significant savings.

Members, if you ever encounter a situation similar to Nat's, where you face issues with your service providers, there's a helpful approach you can take. Simply follow her lead and call your service providers to discuss the problem with their customer service. You never know; this action might lead to significant savings for you!

Feel free to share any other money-saving tips and advice you have in the comments below! We'd love to hear and learn from each other's experiences.

Sponsored
Rising energy prices are among the hardest financial headaches for Australian households. The fact that electricity bills seem to keep getting dearer and dearer is enough to make anybody lose their head.

But Nat Barr from Channel 7's Sunrise show isn't the kind of person to let the situation keep her up at night. Instead, she found a practical, cost-efficient way to take matters into her own hands and demonstrated it on a recent segment of the show.

Speaking on 'Hot Topics' with Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas and Herald Sun columnist Susie O'Brien, Nat informed her fellow hosts about the power price crisis, citing a shocking statistic.

'We are set to face even more power price pain into next year after the cost of generating electricity jumped a staggering 31 per cent in the three months to June,' she said.

View attachment 26418
Nat shared the tip during a segment about rising power prices. Credit: Shutterstock.

But Nat wasn't done there. She then revealed her nifty strategy to help mitigate such hefty expenses.

'You know what I did yesterday? I went on to iSelect, I think it was called, and I rang them,' she said.

'I spent half an hour on the phone. I saved $400 myself over the year and changed electricity providers. Everyone can do that. I was actually surprised at how much I saved.'

For those who might not be familiar with it, iSelect is an online platform that helps with comparing and choosing various insurance, finance, and utility products. It simplifies the process for consumers to find the best options that match their needs.

Basically, iSelect lets users input their specific requirements and preferences. After that, the platform presents them with a list of relevant products from different providers, complete with prices and features.

This way, users can easily compare and select from a range of options, such as health insurance, car insurance, home loans, electricity and gas plans, and more. The goal is to make it easier for consumers to find products that suit their individual needs.

Nat continued: 'I had to supply my bills, stuff, gas and electricity—this was just on the electricity. I reckon half an hour on the phone, but I had her on speaker.'

'I was chopping up my onions as I did it and, you know, answering all the questions, but $400 over a year, that's a lot of money. That's a huge saving!'

Perth Lord Mayor Basil Zempilas noted that, although such savings can be reasonably achieved, many people don't have the time or motivation to pursue it.

'Most people are too busy to be able to change banks, change providers, change anything,' he said.

'But you've demonstrated it can be done, and you're catching up for dinner with that lady next week!'

Nat showed that even when the world around us does its best to make our wallets lighter, a bit of savvy shopping and help from friendly customer service representatives can still help us save a buck or two.

Looking to compare and save? Why not try this comparison service powered by Compare Club?

Key Takeaways

• Sunrise host Nat Barr shared her simple hack for saving hundreds off her annual electricity bill in just half an hour.
  • During a ‘Hot Topics’ segment discussing rising power prices, Nat revealed she saved $400 by switching electricity providers through iSelect.
  • Even while preparing dinner, Nat managed to go through her bills and make the switch, highlighting how easy it was to achieve significant savings.
  • It prompted a discussion about how many people perceive changing providers as too much work, but Nat's example demonstrated it's feasible and can lead to significant savings.

Members, if you ever encounter a situation similar to Nat's, where you face issues with your service providers, there's a helpful approach you can take. Simply follow her lead and call your service providers to discuss the problem with their customer service. You never know; this action might lead to significant savings for you!

Feel free to share any other money-saving tips and advice you have in the comments below! We'd love to hear and learn from each other's experiences.
Unfortunately we aren’t all able to do this quick fix. Some areas (We live in one) are limited to a sole provider. It bugs me when everyone says you only have to look around for the best deal. If only!

Only one provider available, so we are unable to change providers. Not everyone can do what Nat has done.

View attachment 26418

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately we in FNQ only have one electricity provider. We hope to put solar cells on the roof in the future, which will help a good deal plus we have a huge generator for the two homes during cyclone season.

View attachment 26418

Key Takeaways

Don’t forget trickle charges.?That’s when we leave everything plugged in or on when not in use. Even when I use the kettle I switch off at the plug, same with dishwasher, lamps not in use during the day, in fact anything I can reach. Then checked the next bill, no question, it had dropped.

View attachment 26418

Key Takeaways

In WA you can't change providers we have just one and I find them fair . Also changed from gas heating to Infrared saving so much with cleaner and healthier air

Will have to go and have a look in the morning, too dark outside now and freezing cold.🙋
Good evening Ricki,
So sorry for the delay in replying, have been looking all over the place for the paperwork for my solar system, but can only find it for the inverter which is a Solid.
I organized it through a company called Solar Quotes, who I believe are Australia wide and I got a very good quote through them.
I did try a company about 69,kms from where I live and their quotes were between $7950 and $9999, which was a ridiculous price and on top of that they wanted an extra $300 for travel.
Solar Quotes were only able to get me one quote,due to my distance from Perth, about 2.1/2 hrs, the quote was $2999 and $150 for travel.
The system has been excellent, my bills minimal, in credit at the moment.
I suggest you give them a try, they only deal with reputable suppliers.
Hope this helpful.

Good evening Ricki,
So sorry for the delay in replying, have been looking all over the place for the paperwork for my solar system, but can only find it for the inverter which is a Solid.
I organized it through a company called Solar Quotes, who I believe are Australia wide and I got a very good quote through them.
I did try a company about 69,kms from where I live and their quotes were between $7950 and $9999, which was a ridiculous price and on top of that they wanted an extra $300 for travel.
Solar Quotes were only able to get me one quote,due to my distance from Perth, about 2.1/2 hrs, the quote was $2999 and $150 for travel.
The system has been excellent, my bills minimal, in credit at the moment.
I suggest you give them a try, they only deal with reputable suppliers.
Hope this helpful.
Sorry typo, the inverter is a Solis.