Sugar, Spice, And Everything Nice: Taste Testing Woolworths’ Limited-Edition Pumpkin Spice Mud Cake

Great news, members!

Woolworths' newest dessert range is here, the perfect finale for a spring backyard BBQ, dinner party, or, honestly, just because!

Because we’re selfless, a few of us decided to take one for the team and tried some exciting new releases. 😉

So, what are the desserts? Well, we wrote about them here but let me recap it for you!

photo (47) (1).jpg
Which would you try first? Image Credit: SDC

The first on the lineup is the limited-edition Pumpkin Spice Mudcake (600g).

Made in Australia with at least 92% Australian ingredients, this delightful dessert will set you back $7. It’s available both in-store and online but for a limited time only!

It combines the warm flavours of cinnamon and nutmeg and is topped with a chocolate ganache ‘inspired by the growing global love for pumpkin spice flavours’.

Next on the list is an absolutely decadent Fully Loaded Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake (900g). This is on the deluxe side, with a $23 price tag. You might remember this offering from years past, which means we can turn to trusty reviews! With over 300 ratings, it boosts an impressive 4.3-star rating.

‘Featuring a rich and fudgy chocolate brownie base with a creamy white chocolate cheesecake centre, this indulgent chocolate treat is hand-finished with dulce de leche and topped with chunky pieces of smooth chocolate.’

Now, we know it can be costly to branch out and try new desserts that could be a hit or a miss. To help you decide, here’s our thoughts:

IMG_9009 (1).jpg
The Limited-Edition Pumpkin Spice Mud Cake. Image Credit: SDC

Limited-Edition Pumpkin Spice Mud Cake

‘So light! And fluffy! I really loved this cake. I have only had pumpkin pie once, and I much prefer this cake. It’s a lot less filling, filled with flavour and goes very nicely with a good cup of tea. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys cinnamon or pumpkin, and I would absolutely bring it to a get-together with family and friends!’ – Maddie

‘I had high hopes for this one, but I didn't enjoy it after all. The cake itself, while fluffy, was too spicy for me. There was definitely something in there (star anise? clove?) that I didn't enjoy. As for the icing, it tasted nothing like pumpkin so the fact it was orange kind of put me off.’ – Ash

‘I could eat this entire cake if calories didn’t exist. I LOVED it. Perfect for a cosy tea break. It felt quite festive to me as my family always makes pumpkin pie in December. I’m ready to start the petition to bring this onto the catalogue full-time. I refuse to confirm or deny whether I took the rest of this cake home with me…’ – April

I didn't think I'd like it, but it tasted really good – though to me, it had more of a cinnamon taste than pumpkin... Quite a light, fluffy texture.’ – Jon

IMG_9010 (1).jpg
The Fully Loaded Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake. Image Credit: SDC

Fully Loaded Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake

‘I really enjoyed this cheesecake. I think having mud cake as the base made it so much more delicious and rich! I do feel very full after eating the cheesecake, though, because it is quite rich with caramel and chocolate, but I would still recommend it! Perhaps a smaller slice than I did! Perfect for those of you who have a big sweet tooth (just like me!)’ – Maddie

‘Not all of the pieces were equal with toppings (which is pretty understandable), but everyone in the team opted for a super-loaded chocolate piece. It’s very decadent, and I really loved the chocolate chunks on top, which varied from little crispy bites to a more malt-centred ball and classic squares. I don’t usually eat cheesecake, but I’d reach for this again.’ – April

‘The cheesecake (with a brownie/ mud cake base) was very decadent – perhaps slightly too rich for me... Much heavier than the pumpkin cake, probably in part due to the layer of malt-ball chocolate and chocolate squares, and the thick layer of cheesecake icing.’ – Jon

‘I quite enjoyed the cheesecake layer but could take or leave (actually did leave) the mud cake bottom.’ – Ash

Note from the Editor: Ash is hard to impress when it comes to food, but I know for a fact she went back for seconds. 😉

You’ll spot the Pumpkin Spice Mud Cake in all stores and online for $7 from Wednesday 16 October, 2024.

It joins their ever-growing iconic range of mud cakes available at Woolworths – which are so popular that over 2.6 million cakes are sold each year (that’s five every minute)!

You can expect the Fully Loaded Chocolate Brownie Cheesecake to hang around for a little-while longer, so add it to your Christmas shopping list for sure!

What do YOU think, members? Have you tried either yet?

Sponsored