Sudden app glitch exposes Qantas customer’s private details—are you at risk?

In an age where our personal information is as precious as it is vulnerable, the recent security breach within the Qantas app has left many customers feeling exposed and concerned.

The Australian flagship carrier, Qantas, extended a sincere apology to its patrons after a serious data breach on Wednesday morning, May 1, compromised the personal details of multiple passengers.

The breach, which was first detected at 9 a.m., saw an alarming glitch in the system that allowed travellers to view and potentially alter the bookings of complete strangers.

This included access to names, upcoming flight details, frequent flyer points balances, and status.

compressed-josh-withers-BT5wRim9M4U-unsplash (1).jpeg
Qantas passengers’ private details were exposed in the system issue. Image source: Unsplash

Qantas confirmed by midday that the issue had been resolved, attributing the breach to a 'technology issue' possibly linked to recent system updates.

A spokesperson for the airline reassured customers, telling a media outlet, 'At this stage, there is no indication of a cyber security incident.'

They emphasised that the glitch was isolated to the Qantas app and that no personal or financial information beyond travel details was shared.

‘The issue was isolated to the Qantas app with some frequent flyers able to see the travel information of other customers, including name, upcoming flight details, points balance and status,’ they said.

‘No further personal or financial information was shared, and customers would not have been able to transfer or use the Qantas Points of other frequent flyers,’ they added.

They also confirmed that they were ‘not aware of any customers’ travelling with ‘incorrect boarding passes’.

Despite these assurances, the breach has understandably rattled many.

Social media became a hotbed of concern as affected individuals reported their experiences.

One man, a member of a frequent flyer group, expressed his shock upon finding access to three different people's profiles upon opening the app.

‘I have access to three different people's profiles when I opened it [the Qantas app] this morning. I don't know any of them,’ he said.

Another reported being logged into a different account with each app access, complete with the ability to view sensitive information.

‘My app logs me into a different person each time. I have access to the booking details, QFF numbers, status, and boarding passes of people I don’t know. Logging out and back in does nothing,’ he shared.

He also claimed that he has the ability to ‘cancel someone’s flight to Europe’.

As the chaos unfolded, opportunistic scammers seized the moment.

Several fake Qantas accounts surfaced, masquerading as customer service representatives and preying on the affected.

GMc3to-aYAAHGb3.jpg
Cybercriminals took advantage of the Qantas system glitch. Image source: @Asher_Wolf/X (Twitter)

These fraudulent profiles, appearing on platforms such as X (formerly Twitter), solicited personal details from customers under the guise of resolving the issue.

This prompted Qantas to issue a warning, urging the public to remain vigilant against such social media scams.

Customers affected by the breach are encouraged to monitor their accounts for any unusual activity and to report any concerns directly to Qantas.

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Earlier this month, Qantas announced a major overhaul of its frequent flyer loyalty program with a new tier called Classic Plus Flight Rewards. You can read more about that here.
Key Takeaways
  • Qantas apologised after a security breach where passengers' details and boarding passes were accessed by other users.
  • The issue, noticed at 9 a.m. and resolved by midday, was said to be caused by a technology glitch related to recent system changes, not a cybersecurity incident.
  • The data breach was limited to the Qantas app, exposing travellers' names, flight details, points balance and status, but not personal or financial information.
  • Customers were alerted to be cautious of social media scams, with fake Qantas accounts appearing on platforms as the data breach unfolded.
We at the Seniors Discount Club urge our members to stay informed and proactive about their digital security.

Do you have tips for staying safe online? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored