Stunning at 81: Martha Stewart uncovers secret to looking incredibly youthful in Sports Illustrated swimsuit debut!

If we ever needed the inspiration to embrace the golden years of our lives, Martha Stewart has well and truly risen to the challenge.

At 81, the homemaker, chef, TV personality and business mogul has shown that age is truly just a number after she made her surprising debut in Sports Illustrated magazine.

Martha Stewart just made history as the oldest person to pose for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover.

In her stunning shoot, Martha donned ten different swimsuits while being photographed by Ruven Afanador in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic.

Photos included Martha standing in a red one-piece with a plunging neckline, while another showed the businesswoman in a white swimsuit and orange shawl while smiling towards the camera.

martha1.jpg
The lifestyle guru opened up about her skincare and fitness routine. Credit: Shutterstock

‘When I heard that I was going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated, I thought, “Oh, that’s pretty good. I’m going to be the oldest person, I think, ever on a cover of Sports Illustrated”. And I don’t think about age very much, but I thought that this is kind of historic,’ she told reporters.

Martha also revealed that Sports Illustrated approached her in November last year to ask if she’d like to be on the cover.

‘To be on the cover at my age was a challenge. And I think I met the challenge,’ she said.

She credits Pilates classes every second day, horseback riding, and a ‘great diet’ for keeping her figure cover-ready for Sports Illustrated.

‘They tell you [that] you look okay. That’s nice. They sort of reinforce that it’s okay to be doing what you’re doing,’ she revealed.

‘I went to Pilates every other day…I live a clean life anyway. Good diet and good exercise and healthy skin care and all of that stuff.’

martha2.jpg
Martha said that daily Pilates classes helped her stay in shape. Credit: Sports Illustrated

Martha also stated that she does not smoke and only drinks ‘little amounts’ of alcoholic beverages to stay healthy.

She also avoided eating ‘any bread or pasta for a couple of months to stay in shape for the photo shoot.

‘I didn't starve myself,’ she admitted.

Speaking to reporters earlier this week, the businesswoman admitted that doing the shoot in her 80s was difficult. However, she persevered.

‘For me, it is a testament to good living. I think that all of us should think about good living, successful living, and not about aging. The whole aging thing is so boring,’ she proclaimed.

In a 2021 blog post, the TV personality gave a full breakdown of her fitness routine, revealing that her upbringing played a large part in her commitment to staying active.

‘Good health, vibrant energy, clear thinking: That's what I strive for every day. And I always have,’ she wrote in her post.

According to Martha, she and her siblings picked up ‘positive habits’ early in life because their parents encouraged daily exercise by riding bikes, nutritious eating (meaning no fast food), and proper hygiene for hair and skin. ‘I passed these practices on to my daughter, who now does the same with my grandchildren,’ she stated.

She also opened up about her daily routine and said: ‘To feel my best no matter how busy I am, I exercise each morning. Before the pandemic, I worked with a yoga teacher and a trainer, but now I do it alone—and I admit it's been difficult.’

‘Getting up early to start the day in an empty gym is never fun. (I'm lucky to have one at home, equipped with weights and the latest machines.) But after a glass of green juice and a cappuccino, I find it's where I can get my mind in the right place for the day ahead,’ she continued.

On a typical day, the celebrity chef likes to start her mornings with a 20-minute treadmill workout or by practising yoga.

She wrote in her blog that she loves yoga because it keeps her muscles long, limber and flexible. ‘I also work out at least three times a week with my trainer, Mary Tedesco, who shows up bright and early at the farm,’ she admitted.

Martha also said that while she often loses motivation to do her routine, she insists on pushing through anyway.

‘I do it anyway, and I’m so glad afterwards. I always feel refreshed and energised,’ she said.

Martha also provided insights into the procedures and skin care products she uses to maintain the youthful glow of her skin.

She said she uses products from luxury brands such as Clé de Peau and often schedules facial appointments at the New York-based spa and salon Mario Badescu. She also claimed to use several of the brand’s skin care products.

‘I have never had plastic surgery,’ Martha previously declared to reporters. ‘You can absolutely say that. No knife on my face, neck or back.’

martha3.jpg
The lifestyle guru said she likes to eat ‘clean’. Credit: marthastewart/Instagram

More than that, however, Martha said having a balanced diet is essential to keeping fit and healthy.

‘I've focused on growing food, gardening, and cooking delicious meals. I drink lots of water and avoid junk (I don't keep snacks in the house),’ she claimed before adding that she has ‘nearly stopped dining out’ after several years. This resulted in a drastic weight loss that ‘delighted’ her doctors.

The star also grows her own vegetables which she uses to make green juice.

To keep her mind active, she said she loves playing games such as crossword puzzles.

She shared: ‘To stay mentally sharp, I do the New York Times crossword puzzle on my iPad, play cards, and try to learn something new and challenging as often as I can. I encourage you to find healthy activities that you love, too—ones you can enjoy for years to come.’

This photoshoot comes after the star’s cheeky coffee ad, where she promoted a coffee brand while only wearing a kitchen apron. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Martha Stewart has become the oldest woman to feature on the cover of Sports Illustrated at the age of 81.
  • The lifestyle guru credits her youthful appearance to a rigorous skincare routine, a carb-free diet, Pilates classes, and an intense horse-riding routine.
  • In addition to her exercise regimen, Stewart emphasises a clean lifestyle with no smoking, minimal alcohol intake, a good diet, and healthy skincare practices.
  • Fans have praised Stewart's ageless appearance, admiring her commitment to good living and well-being.
Do you have your own tips for looking and feeling young? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
She looks amazing but so would we if we chose botox n fillers , her face gets injected twice a year and has laser and other procedures done more often.

She spends a fortune to look look and good on her if this is what she wants.

My daughter who is getting married in 2 weeks had fillers done around her eyes and forehead above her nose and I saw the change immediately although it takes 2 weeks to see the complete outcome.
For this small procedure the cost was nearly $500 and needs to be done every 2 years .
I'm so tempted to get it done but I'm still on the fence with this one.
I feel its something you could become addicted too
My other daughter went with her and had lip fillers at a cost of $300.

She looks amazing but so would we if we chose botox n fillers , her face gets injected twice a year and has laser and other procedures done more often.

She spends a fortune to look look and good on her if this is what she wants.

My daughter who is getting married in 2 weeks had fillers done around her eyes and forehead above her nose and I saw the change immediately although it takes 2 weeks to see the complete outcome.
For this small procedure the cost was nearly $500 and needs to be done every 2 years .
I'm so tempted to get it done but I'm still on the fence with this one.
I feel its something you could become addicted too
My other daughter went with her and had lip fillers at a cost of $300.
I would love to have lip fillers again. I had it done about 20 years ago at a cost of $800 and it made very little difference. Not sure what he used but it dissolved faster than an ice cube in hot water. I don’t know if l could stand the pain again, though $300 is a bargain

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I would love to have lip fillers again. I had it done about 20 years ago at a cost of $800 and it made very little difference. Not sure what he used but it dissolved faster than an ice cube in hot water. I don’t know if l could stand the pain again, though $300 is a bargain
My daughters used a place at Bondi Junction and the one who got the lip fillers wanted a little bigger but the lady advised against it.
I asked did it hurt and she said not much at all. She was told they would bruise and hurt the next day but she said there was nothing. She also needs to do it every 2 years

She does look beautiful but not believable. 81 and not one single wrinkle. I dont think so. It would look more realistic if she at least had a couple....Botox, makeup and photoshop the three wonders of the magazine world.
I agree with your comments, however, genetics play a huge part. I am 78, some of my 4 sisters (3 younger & 1 older) have wrinkles well beyond their years and I have only a couple and relatively soft skin. I’ve never put anything on my face (moisturiser, makeup etc) except lipstick but have been told I should be using moisturiser everyday - why? My skin is OK without any stuff on it after all these years to clog up the pores and not let my skin breathe. Definitely photoshop, professional hair & makeup, genetics, Botox and fillers help! AND MONEY TO SPARE (& waste).

Last edited:
I agree with your comments, however, genetics play a huge part. I am 78, some of my 4 sisters (3 younger & 1 older) have wrinkles well beyond their years and I have only a couple and relatively soft skin. I’ve never put anything on my face (moisturiser, makeup etc) except lipstick but have been told I should be using moisturiser everyday - why? My skin is OK without any stuff on it after all these years to clog up the pores and not let my skin breathe. Definitely photoshop, professional hair & makeup, genetics, Botox and fillers help! AND MONEY TO SPARE (& waste).
Yes thats true. My sister has lots of wrinkles and I dont have many. I dont think Genetics pay any part in her looks at 81 you would have to have a few laugh lines or something. Yes money helps. Even if I had enough money to look like her at 81 I dont think I would bother. Even her hands look like a young persons hands. (Seen in her recent ad). Having said all of that no matter how she achieved it she looks amazing.

If we ever needed the inspiration to embrace the golden years of our lives, Martha Stewart has well and truly risen to the challenge.

At 81, the homemaker, chef, TV personality and business mogul has shown that age is truly just a number after she made her surprising debut in Sports Illustrated magazine.

Martha Stewart just made history as the oldest person to pose for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover.

In her stunning shoot, Martha donned ten different swimsuits while being photographed by Ruven Afanador in the Punta Cana area of the Dominican Republic.

Photos included Martha standing in a red one-piece with a plunging neckline, while another showed the businesswoman in a white swimsuit and orange shawl while smiling towards the camera.

View attachment 19916
The lifestyle guru opened up about her skincare and fitness routine. Credit: Shutterstock

‘When I heard that I was going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated, I thought, “Oh, that’s pretty good. I’m going to be the oldest person, I think, ever on a cover of Sports Illustrated”. And I don’t think about age very much, but I thought that this is kind of historic,’ she told reporters.

Martha also revealed that Sports Illustrated approached her in November last year to ask if she’d like to be on the cover.

‘To be on the cover at my age was a challenge. And I think I met the challenge,’ she said.

She credits Pilates classes every second day, horseback riding, and a ‘great diet’ for keeping her figure cover-ready for Sports Illustrated.

‘They tell you [that] you look okay. That’s nice. They sort of reinforce that it’s okay to be doing what you’re doing,’ she revealed.

‘I went to Pilates every other day…I live a clean life anyway. Good diet and good exercise and healthy skin care and all of that stuff.’

View attachment 19917
Martha said that daily Pilates classes helped her stay in shape. Credit: Sports Illustrated

Martha also stated that she does not smoke and only drinks ‘little amounts’ of alcoholic beverages to stay healthy.

She also avoided eating ‘any bread or pasta for a couple of months to stay in shape for the photo shoot.

‘I didn't starve myself,’ she admitted.

Speaking to reporters earlier this week, the businesswoman admitted that doing the shoot in her 80s was difficult. However, she persevered.

‘For me, it is a testament to good living. I think that all of us should think about good living, successful living, and not about aging. The whole aging thing is so boring,’ she proclaimed.

In a 2021 blog post, the TV personality gave a full breakdown of her fitness routine, revealing that her upbringing played a large part in her commitment to staying active.

‘Good health, vibrant energy, clear thinking: That's what I strive for every day. And I always have,’ she wrote in her post.

According to Martha, she and her siblings picked up ‘positive habits’ early in life because their parents encouraged daily exercise by riding bikes, nutritious eating (meaning no fast food), and proper hygiene for hair and skin. ‘I passed these practices on to my daughter, who now does the same with my grandchildren,’ she stated.

She also opened up about her daily routine and said: ‘To feel my best no matter how busy I am, I exercise each morning. Before the pandemic, I worked with a yoga teacher and a trainer, but now I do it alone—and I admit it's been difficult.’

‘Getting up early to start the day in an empty gym is never fun. (I'm lucky to have one at home, equipped with weights and the latest machines.) But after a glass of green juice and a cappuccino, I find it's where I can get my mind in the right place for the day ahead,’ she continued.

On a typical day, the celebrity chef likes to start her mornings with a 20-minute treadmill workout or by practising yoga.

She wrote in her blog that she loves yoga because it keeps her muscles long, limber and flexible. ‘I also work out at least three times a week with my trainer, Mary Tedesco, who shows up bright and early at the farm,’ she admitted.

Martha also said that while she often loses motivation to do her routine, she insists on pushing through anyway.

‘I do it anyway, and I’m so glad afterwards. I always feel refreshed and energised,’ she said.

Martha also provided insights into the procedures and skin care products she uses to maintain the youthful glow of her skin.

She said she uses products from luxury brands such as Clé de Peau and often schedules facial appointments at the New York-based spa and salon Mario Badescu. She also claimed to use several of the brand’s skin care products.

‘I have never had plastic surgery,’ Martha previously declared to reporters. ‘You can absolutely say that. No knife on my face, neck or back.’

View attachment 19918
The lifestyle guru said she likes to eat ‘clean’. Credit: marthastewart/Instagram

More than that, however, Martha said having a balanced diet is essential to keeping fit and healthy.

‘I've focused on growing food, gardening, and cooking delicious meals. I drink lots of water and avoid junk (I don't keep snacks in the house),’ she claimed before adding that she has ‘nearly stopped dining out’ after several years. This resulted in a drastic weight loss that ‘delighted’ her doctors.

The star also grows her own vegetables which she uses to make green juice.

To keep her mind active, she said she loves playing games such as crossword puzzles.

She shared: ‘To stay mentally sharp, I do the New York Times crossword puzzle on my iPad, play cards, and try to learn something new and challenging as often as I can. I encourage you to find healthy activities that you love, too—ones you can enjoy for years to come.’

This photoshoot comes after the star’s cheeky coffee ad, where she promoted a coffee brand while only wearing a kitchen apron. You can read the rest of the story here.
Key Takeaways

• Martha Stewart has become the oldest woman to feature on the cover of Sports Illustrated at the age of 81.
  • The lifestyle guru credits her youthful appearance to a rigorous skincare routine, a carb-free diet, Pilates classes, and an intense horse-riding routine.
  • In addition to her exercise regimen, Stewart emphasises a clean lifestyle with no smoking, minimal alcohol intake, a good diet, and healthy skincare practices.
  • Fans have praised Stewart's ageless appearance, admiring her commitment to good living and well-being.
Do you have your own tips for looking and feeling young? Share them with us in the comments!
Drink lots of water every day especially in winter when you do not know you are dehydrated until you feel thirsty. Junk food...go easy.

Didnt she go to jail for fraud a few years back, but I guess she still has the cash to splash. Apparently she has minor operations, or fillers on face twice a year and very expensive facials every week. She is also bringing out her facial range of skin care, of course, and one she uses of her own is $400. Oh to have money, and time to flit about for facials, and MINOR work done of face. I guess its all advertising for when her facial range of products come out.

Martha Steward refers to herself as 'good living'. She must think we all have a forgettable memory, as I remember when she went to jail for insider trading.
Apart from that, she is a great cook.

Yes, I agree you are what you are and not what someone wants you to be. Live life your way and be happy.