4 tomatoes top cut and insides scooped out, finely chopped then add to mince

meat mixture
1 kg beef mince or 1/2 beef and 1/2 lamb
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup of uncooked white rice
1 large onion grated
pinch salt n pepper

Method

1. In a bowl add all meat mixture ingredients and with your hands mix together Including insides of tomatoes which gave been grated
Screenshot_20231209_113622_Gallery.jpg

2. In a pot or slowcooker , line bottom with vineleaves.

Screenshot_20231209_113609_Gallery.jpg

3. seperate a few vineleaves at a time. Take one and add a tablespoon of mixture at the end and roll up like a cigarette, folding in sides as you go. Place on top of vineleaves in the pot, continue until all leaves are used.

Screenshot_20231209_113600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_113555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_113551_Gallery.jpg

4. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pot, cover with hot water until it just covers tge vineleaves.

5. cover with a plate and lid , cook on high until it comes to the boil then turn down low. Cook on low temperature for 4 hours .
If using a slow cooker then 8 hours

Add more water if needed throughout cooking

I made these today , I also added to the pot the tomatoes or you can bake in the oven ( see beliw) 🍅 and I had both pumpkin and zucchini flowers in my garden I also added those.
Screenshot_20231209_113541_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231209_113546_Gallery.jpg

Note

When Im cooking this for a couple of days , I will cook the vineleaves on the stove top or in a slow cooker and will do tomatoes , capsicum and zucchini in the oven .
Today I did a small ammount and I'm cooking it all it the slow cooker.

Cooking tomatoes in the oven

Place tomatoes, capsicum in a baking dish.
Pour in water until it comes half way up the tomatoes. Add a tablespoon of butter. Bake in a preheated oven 180 °C for 1 hour

I also make cabbage leaves the same way , and will add them to the pot with the vine knaves or just cook the cabbage leaves.

First step , bring a pot of water to the boil then add the cabbage leaves trying to keep the leaves whole.

Cook until they have just softened slightly, then tip and drain in a colander, then they are ewady to toll with the mince mixture and cook exactly the same as vineleaves above

Last edited:
Sponsored
Looks very Greek! Wouldn't expect anything less from SDC's resident Masterchef @Suzanne rose!
Whenever we have had Greek relatives or Greek friends over they are really surprised at how good these are. I think they have the mentality that only Greeks can cook Greek food. I just learnt to cook what hubby loves and this dish is at the top of his list.

My Mom always made these - she also had her own vines - we loved them (and still do) - she always served them with Greek yoghurt :). I havent made them in ages but you have inspired me to treat the family. Thanks Suzanne :)

Yummo! Most Moorish and during summer just perfect. Stuffed Zucchini flower's are my absolute favourite with a good glass of red, usually home made lol Definitely good healthy food.
Fabulous recipe 😀
I do both zucchini and pumpkin flowers that are grown in our garden, very expensive to buy in the fruit markets

My Mom always made these - she also had her own vines - we loved them (and still do) - she always served them with Greek yoghurt :). I havent made them in ages but you have inspired me to treat the family. Thanks Suzanne :)
We might be going to Greece in August and to a big celebration on the island of kassos from where hubbys mum is from. All the women of the island get together and make really tiny ones of these but only vine leaves, the men cook lamb and then it is all served for to everyone including the tourist for free.
It's a celebration of Jesus's mother. There is lots of food, live music and dancing.

Hubby has taken a couple of my daughters as a reward after year 12. This will be my first time going to this celebration

Last edited:
I worked in Greek cafes as a kid of 13 after school (yes you could work then) and I used to help Effie and Con roll up the vine leaves. I didn't like them at that time but love them know. My Jordanian friend makes them.
Lovely memory you bought back.