Struggling with a 'rude' person? Here's how to put them in their place, according to a therapist

We've all had to deal with a 'rude' person at some point in our lives. You know the type – they're always nasty and have no self-awareness, or they're always in your face being combative.

Well, if you're ever stuck in a situation like that again and are looking for a way to handle it, we may be able to help.

A Canadian relationship therapist recently went viral on TikTok after sharing three psychological methods that will make a 'nasty' person 'wish they never spoke to you'.

Kimberly Moffit is a therapist with a doctoral degree in psychology, so she definitely knows what she's talking about when it comes to human behaviour! In her video, she explains that if you do these three things when confronted by someone rude, they'll walk away feeling deeply unsettled and embarrassed.

Here's what she suggests:

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 2.34.48 PM.png
Having to deal with rude people can be quite frustrating, but hopefully, these tips will help you keep your cool. Credit: Pexels/Timur Weber.

1. Ignore your amygdala response

If you're not familiar with the term, your amygdala is an almond-shaped structure in the brain that controls emotions, motivation, learning and memory. It basically allows you to feel certain emotions and also perceive them in other people.

So, what does Moffit mean when she says to 'ignore your amygdala response'?

She's referring to that physical reaction we have when we're suddenly confronted by a rude person for no reason. You know – it's when your heart starts racing, your palms get sweaty, your pupils dilate, etc. Most people usually either run away from the situation or get angry and lash out when they feel that physical response.

However, what Moffit suggests you do instead is take a deep breath and not say anything. This makes the rude person feel deeply unsettled and puts them off their game right from the start.

2. Use the 'Tom Cruise' method

For this next method, Moffit references the Hollywood star's infamous 2005 incident on the red carpet where a prankster squirted water in his face with a fake microphone.

Instead of reacting angrily, Cruise repeatedly asked the prankster, 'Why would you do that?' After an awkward silence, the prankster tried to walk away, but Cruise called him out for being 'rude'.

Moffit says that if you question the rude person, they'll feel embarrassed that they messed with you in the first place. Asking questions calls out their behaviour and brings attention to how ridiculous it is, which makes them look foolish. And at this point, they should be feeling a sense of shame.

Credit: pressroom5.

3. Remember that rude people are usually looking for a dopamine hit

This final method only works with your body language, according to Moffit. She explains that when someone is consistently rude, they're usually looking for a 'dopamine hit' – an intense feeling of reward.

When they unload on you, it actually feels really good for them, especially if they see you physically deflate.

So, Moffit suggests turning your body away and keeping your palms open when confronted by a rude person. This asserts your true dominance and deprives them of the dopamine hit they want, which will frustrate them because they'll get zero satisfaction.
Key Takeaways

• A relationship therapist has offered three simple methods to put a 'rude' person in their place.
  • The three psychological ways to make a 'nasty' person 'wish they never spoke to you' are: ignoring your amygdala response, asking questions, and depriving them of the dopamine hit they want.
  • These methods can be effective in putting a rude person in their place and may make them think twice before speaking to you again.
Members, we hope you never have to use any of these methods, but it's always good to be prepared, just in case. What other advice do you have for dealing with people who are disrespectful or inappropriate? Leave a comment below and let us know!

Sponsored
I have had to deal with a lot of rude people in my past employment and I have found that if I listened and smiled they lost a lot of their puff. I have found mostly older men can be very rude, particularly to a female, but if a got a male manager to speak with them they soon backed right down. I once had an elderly man mumble something at me and when I said "Pardon?" he yelled, "Are you deaf?" so I calmly and quietly replied, "I am a bit." and he suddenly looked very embarrassed and walked away.

I use to have to deal with rude people who are also volunteers at the same place I volunteer. Finally shut them up by saying to them "My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity, the more stupid you are the more sarcastic I'll be". Worked wonders, they no longer feel the need to want to speak to me. Win win for me.

Firstly I wouldn't follow Tom Cruises Method it would be based on Scientology!

I've deal with a lot of rude people mostly women.
I would have a bride come in with a very large group of women I remember one particular group there were around 10 and two of the LADIES were so nasty.
How did I deal with it ? ...I smiled and gave the bride the best service ever....nasty lady kept putting the dresses down. The bride loved 2 dresses and nasty lady kept picking the dresses apart.

I said to nasty lady in front of everyone how lucky it was that the bride had all these important people with her especially her mum and sister whom both love the same dresses that the bride loved and who would know her better than mum and sister.

Bride purchased two dresses one she was wearing to the church and the other to dance in.

I would look at nasty people and think it could be worst I could have to live with them

Last edited: