Struggling mum pays off $69,000 debt in four years. Read her incredible story here.

We all know that the cost of living is constantly on the rise, and it seems like no matter how hard we work or how much we save, our money just doesn’t go as far as it used to. A situation like this can be disheartening and very frustrating, especially when we have a family to support or want to finally retire.

However, if there’s one thing we know here at the Seniors Discount Club, it’s that where there’s a will, there’s a way. All it takes is a bit of resourcefulness and determination to turn things around.

Just take Emily, a frugal mum from Queensland, for example!

Emily has detailed how she managed to pull herself and her family out of a difficult financial situation and paid off $69,000 in debt in just four years – and she did it all on a grocery budget of $100 to $125 per week for her family of five.

em.JPG
Emily is a frugal mum who managed to save her family from debt. Credit: Aussie Debt-Free Girl

A steady rise in living expenses means that people might take out loans here and there. But Emily didn’t let the growing costs deter her from giving her family a debt-free life. The stay-at-home mum found ways to save money and cut down on some of her household bills.

Emily says that meal prepping, buying groceries in bulk, and taking up side hustles did wonders to help them sustain a financially-stable lifestyle. However, this wasn’t always the case for Emily and her family. She recalled how she struggled to make ends meet.

In a previous interview, she mentioned that she was pregnant and became homeless after her first relationship ended in 2013. ‘From there I built a life for myself and my son. We always had everything we needed and I saved everything I could’, Emily said.

em2.JPG
‘I hate debt. I don’t like the idea of owing anybody anything.’ Emily shares. Credit: Aussie Debt-Free Girl

When Emily met her fiancé two years later, she found out that her partner had almost $45,000 worth of debt from his early years. ‘He hadn’t hidden them from me,’ she explained, ‘But it never occurred to him to tell me about them himself, and he didn’t know how much they added up to.’

Together, they had a combined income of $25,000 a year. But this proved to be enough to pay off $69,000 of debt – including interest and principal. Emily said that she and her partner did it by paying ‘$5 here and $10 there’. She also hustled wherever she could.

‘I sold things on Facebook, completed online surveys, cleaned houses, mowed lawns, wrote a book, and started a blog and a YouTube channel, just to cover a few.’ She explained.

Emily keeps their grocery bills low by shopping for specials and clearance items. ‘I review our budget every month and all our insurance and bills every three to six months to make sure we are getting the best deals we can.’ She also said that cooking meals at home helped keep their expenses low.

The family eventually rid themselves of debt. Emily even said that they were in a ‘comfortable position’ to take out a car loan. Her fiancé now makes $55,000 a year, and Emily adds her income of $15,000 to $25,000 a year to their bank account.

Key Takeaways

• Emily, a frugal mum from Queensland, has detailed how she paid off a $69,000 debt in just four years.
  • She feeds her family of five on a grocery budget of $100 to $125 a week without downsizing meal portions or sacrificing the freshness of ingredients, taste, or quality.
  • The stay-at-home mum credits meal prepping, reviewing budgets and bills buying in bulk, and taking up side hustles for their financially sustainable lifestyle.
  • Despite having a combined income of just $25,000 a year, the couple managed to pay off $69,000 of debt, which included interest and principal.
  • Emily says living a frugal life is all about building up habits.

That was one inspiring story, wouldn’t you agree? What kind of money-saving tips do you have, dear members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
This is a great story. But it does take some sacrifices so a lot of people are not willing to make them. There is no need for the best and latest until you are in a position to afford them. And your life doesnt have to be so frugal you miss out, you just do what makes you happy. The end result is worth it. Well done Emily.

Always make a list when you shop and try to avoid impulse buys. Do I really need it? Also buy items like Christmas paper after the event so it is cheap and put by for the next Christmas. I also try to buy presents during the year and find it easier to buy something I know the recipient will like instead of trying to buy everything in the last week or two when I am buying food for the big day. Also check the price of different size food items - sometimes 2 small items are cheaper than one large one when on special.

Reactions: terri