Strapped for cash? Discover these 7 instant tricks to save money now!

Money is tight, budgets are stretched, and people are stressed. Everyone is desperately seeking to save money.

If you’re struggling with very little in the bank right now, you may be wondering how you can cut back without having a huge impact on your lifestyle. That’s why we’ve compiled this list of seven tricks to slash your costs.

photo 1 (3).jpg
Money is tight and budgets are stressed and a lot are finding ways to save money. Image source: master1305 on Freepik.

Have you thought recently about your transport situation? We all like the convenience of having a car, but in a post-pandemic world especially where things like shopping could be done at home through the internet, having cars could now be overkill. Considering downsizing to one car can make an enormous difference to your outlays, with one less vehicle, one less registration, less insurance, lower upkeep costs, and much less fuel.

It’s a move that is certainly doable, even for larger families. As long as you’re willing to do some scheduling (and maybe wait around occasionally!), it’s feasible to have one car for two adults, children, and grandkids.

Are you a renter? If you have space, don’t have anyone else living with you, and rents are eating up a significant chunk of your budget, you could consider taking on a boarder. This way, you can split the rent and make living much more affordable.

Plus, there are ‘matchmaking’ services such as flatmates.au, flatmatefinders.com.au, and roommates.com.au that help pair up those with extra space with people who need a place to live.

You could also try negotiating with your current landlord. Low supply, high demand, and multiple interest rate hikes also mean landlords are raising rent to cover extra costs. But if there’s something you can do to make their life easier–such as offering free home maintenance, property value-adding, or gardening services–you might be able to ask for a reduced rate justifiably.

photo (5).jpg
There are many ways to cut back without having a huge impact on your lifestyle. Image source: master1305 on Freepik.

Another fantastic way to trim your expenses is on groceries. With big supermarkets increasingly charging more and more for less fresh produce, it’s time to look at alternative and more affordable places to buy what you need. Local buying clubs, markets, discount and bulk supermarkets are terrific choices for quality food at lower prices. You can also buy local produce and support Australian farmers–it’s often much tastier and better for your health!

And it’s time to rethink your electricity bill. In the colder months, energy consumption can be a real budget-buster. But why pay more for reverse-cycle air-conditioning when you could use some cost-effective methods instead–such as hot water bottles, blankets and opening your blinds, windows, and doors to the sun?

The trick is to go ‘old school’ with your habits and tastes, too. Instead of going for high-priced, protein-rich meals, whip up some classic–yet still healthy–dishes like tuna pasta bakes, bolognese, and salads in jars. This will save your bank balance, and save your body too! If you’re on the lookout for meal ideas, our Cooking and Recipes forum is available for you whenever you wish!

Finally, if you’re stuck paying for a gym membership or something similar, it’s time to run outside instead. Australia has an abundance of incredible weather, and we are lucky enough to have a range of outdoor exercises available to us for free. Embrace the sunshine and get jogging, walking, riding, or even just taking your dog out for a walk–you’ll be helping the planet too! Here’s an easy exercise you can try!

Sharing is caring–we’d love to hear your money-saving suggestions, so share them with us in the comments section below. Your advice could help someone in need right now.

Sponsored
Tried all those, still does not make ends meet. About $24,000 behind the eight ball.
If I got rid of private health coverage ($4,608), Car insurance ($1,416), mobile phone ($888.00), and internet ($948.00) I may as well cut my throat, just kidding.

Fresh vegetables always free at community hubs and church run emergency groups. Anything packaged is usually having to be accountable to food bank, but bread is donated by the supermarkets! Yesterday's baked bread; ha, its better than fresh. Go and see them, it's lamentable the amount of waste that is thrown out! So much waste that I know that people don't know what to do with good food. ie, stewed fruit, jams, juice, sauces etc etc!
Very rarely do I buy vegetables or fruits.

Reactions: Tervueren and Trudi
Tried all those, still does not make ends meet. About $24,000 behind the eight ball.
If I got rid of private health coverage ($4,608), Car insurance ($1,416), mobile phone ($888.00), and internet ($948.00) I may as well cut my throat, just kidding.
Shop around, your health insurance seems too dear, mobile phones are only $250-$300 to buy outright and for $99 a year via Aldi for unlimited calls and texts, way cheaper than your figures.

I own a phone out right but unfortunately, I'm under contract for another 12 months then out the door VODAFONE

Shop around, your health insurance seems too dear, mobile phones are only $250-$300 to buy outright and for $99 a year via Aldi for unlimited calls and texts, way cheaper than your figures.
IT'S the data that costs

I signed up with My Budget and it is the best thing ever! I am now able to pay all of my bills and keep some sort of order over my spending. Check out their website and use their FREE templates to get started. They helped me, and they may help you too. Best of luck.

Reactions: IAN3005
I signed up with My Budget and it is the best thing ever! I am now able to pay all of my bills and keep some sort of order over my spending. Check out their website and use their FREE templates to get started. They helped me, and they may help you too. Best of luck.
Thanks for the tip

Reactions: Tervueren
These things (health insurance, car insurance, gym, memberships/subscriptions of all kinds, are what i personally would be trimming before trimming heating & food (hell I'm 62yo & never had health insurance- luckily I'm healthy, tho i do let food & exercise/activity be my medecine)!