Stop impulse shopping by asking these three questions before your next purchase!

When going to our favourite stores or scrolling through online catalogues, it's all too easy to fall prey to the allure of impulse shopping.

The thrill of a new purchase can be intoxicating, but the regret of an unnecessary spend can linger much longer.

For those looking to stretch their dollars further, the wisdom of Sal from the Aussie podcast Two Broke Chicks could be a game-changer.

In a video online, Sal has shared a simple yet effective strategy to combat the temptation of impulse buying: ‘three questions you need to ask yourself before every purchase to avoid impulse shopping’.

This approach isn't just about saving money; it's about cultivating a more mindful and intentional approach to consumption.

photo.jpg
Sal from the Two Broke Chicks podcast shared three questions she would ask herself every time she would purchase something. Credit: @twobrokechicks / Instagram

According to her, the first question is, 'Does [this item] solve a problem I genuinely had before I saw it?'

Is it something we've been needing, or is it merely a 'nice-to-have' that caught our eye in the moment?

If it's the latter, it might be wise to step back and reconsider.

Next, 'Can I borrow it, or do I own something similar?'

Perhaps a friend or family member has what we need, or maybe we've forgotten about a similar item tucked away at home.

By borrowing or repurposing, we not only save money but also reduce clutter and waste.

The final question to reflect on is, 'Where will this item be in five years?’

‘If the answer is not in your closet, then maybe it’s not worth buying now,’ she said.

‘Everybody’s different, and these questions aren’t going to work for everyone.’

‘They have really helped me shop a little bit more mindfully and avoid impulse purchases, so I thought I’d share.’

Sal's advice has resonated with many, sparking a conversation about the difference between wants and needs.

One commenter suggested, ‘I ask myself, is it a want or a need?'

‘Brilliant! People spend mindlessly every day and need to start thinking about which items are important,’ another added.

And for those still on the fence, a simple mantra was offered: 'If in doubt, go without.'

You can watch Sal’s video below:

Credit: @twobrokechicks / Instagram

In addition to these shopping tips, Sal has also shared a nifty hack for finding cheap food and drinks across Australia.

The 'Happiest Hour App' is a free resource that maps out happy hours, meal deals, and drink specials in your vicinity.

It's a fantastic tool for those who love to dine out but don't want to overspend.

With features like trivia, raffles, and live music listings, it's no wonder the app has been met with such enthusiasm.
Key Takeaways

• Sal from the Two Broke Chicks podcast suggests asking three questions before making a purchase to avoid impulse buying.
  • The questions aimed to assess the necessity, potential duplication, and long-term value of the item.
  • Sal also shared a hack involving 'The Happiest Hour App' to find cheap food and drink deals in Australia.
  • The podcast and its hosts offer tips and tricks on saving and budgeting via their social media channels.
Have you tried implementing these questions into your shopping routine? Do you have any other strategies for avoiding impulse buys? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
Look at it, walk away for 24 hours & then decide if you really need the item. Every chance it will still be there in 24 hours.

Reactions: IAN3005
Look at it, walk away for 24 hours & then decide if you really need the item. Every chance it will still be there in 24 hours.
I give it 3 weeks as that is the psychological adjustment period...

I usually look at the price and work out how many hours of work (at my old hrly pay rate) will it consume, then think would I be happy working that number of hours for that item.