'Sticking hard with that spoiler': Bizarre load catches driver's attention

Transporting cargo on Australian roads requires adherence to strict guidelines to ensure safety.

However, a photo involving an Aussie driver sparked conversations over transporting an unusual load.

A Nissan Pulsar sedan was spotted on a busy Queensland road with a ute cabin atop.

A photo of the peculiar sight spread on social media, with the caption 'Only in Queensland'.

compressed-photo (11).jpeg
A Nissan sedan carried a ute cabin in a photo shared on social media. Image Credit: Reddit

The load was secured with straps—a requirement under Queensland's guidelines for transporting bulky goods.

However, the weight of the cabin and how it was stored could be dangerous.

The load also obstructed the rear windscreen's view—a clear violation of road safety regulations.

Social media users were quick to comment on the load, with reactions ranging from amusement to concern.

'Can only imagine the Ute that's going to be installed on…probably a few different coloured panels,' one commenter said.

'Someone just had their canopy stolen,' a second wrote.

'Queensland is the Florida of Australia,' another commented.

'I'm actually impressed,' a fourth quipped.

The Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) clarified rules regarding load transportation.

A vehicle or trailer must be loaded safely without endangering other road users or passengers or damaging road infrastructure.

'In Queensland, all loads carried by light vehicles are subject to load restraint requirements, which require the driver to ensure a load on a vehicle is safely secured in a way that makes it unlikely to fall or be dislodged from the vehicle,' a spokesperson said.

'On-road enforcement by the Department of Transport and Main Roads Inspectors and the Queensland Police Service includes regular checks to ensure loads are secured.'

Additionally, carrying 'unsafe' loads could attract a fine of up to $3,000.

'Several offences and penalties may apply for a vehicle with insecure or unsafe loads with a maximum penalty of $3,096 and an on-the-spot fine of $309,' the spokesperson added.

These measures are in place to prevent accidents and ensure that all road users can travel safely.

It's crucial to be aware of these regulations when transporting goods.

Whether moving houses, taking rubbish to the tip, or carrying equipment for a project, ensure your load is secure and within legal limits.

If you need help with the correct way to transport your cargo, consult with local authorities or seek professional advice.
Key Takeaways

• A driver was criticised for an unusual method of transporting a vehicle cabin on top of a sedan.
  • The load, photographed on a major road, obstructed the driver's view and endangered other road users.
  • Social media had mixed reactions, with some amused and others concerned about the transport method.
  • According to Queensland's transport department, unsafe loads can result in significant fines, and there are specific guidelines for how loads should be transported.
Have you ever witnessed a similar situation on the road? Have you tried transporting a challenging load while driving? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
In about 1969, I carried a queen size inner spring bed mattress from home to the rubbish tip securely tied on board a motorbike and sidecar in a Victorian country town. After about a mile the local policeman waved me down and asked me "Is that load safely and securely fastened to your bike?"
I replied, "Yes Sir,"
He then said, "Well, I am going to pretend I didn't see you today, Smithy, but for goodness' sake don't run into anything."
I successfully delivered the load without further incident, much to the astonishment of the council attendants at the tip.

In about 1969, I carried a queen size inner spring bed mattress from home to the rubbish tip securely tied on board a motorbike and sidecar in a Victorian country town. After about a mile the local policeman waved me down and asked me "Is that load safely and securely fastened to your bike?"
I replied, "Yes Sir,"
He then said, "Well, I am going to pretend I didn't see you today, Smithy, but for goodness' sake don't run into anything."
I successfully delivered the load without further incident, much to the astonishment of the council attendants at the tip.
bet there were people at the tip who could use your mattress.

I replied, "Yes Sir,"
Ah the days when country police exercised selective blindness for the locals who they knew exercised care and attention.

These days you would probably have been left on the side of the road waiting for a truck to pick up you and your vehicle to complete the trip to the tip, and a wad of tickets as well.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I once tied a double bed mattress to the roof of my EH Holden no roof racks. I had to drive about 5 kilometres and I had to climb out the window when I got there. Luckily the gerdames didn't stop me. o_O

• Love
Reactions: gamiry