Sources reveal one reason behind former Seven weatherman's dismissal: 'The audience decides'

The television industry is an ever-changing landscape.

May it be current affairs or entertainment, channels often grapple with difficult decisions to keep the show going.

In a recent turn of events, veteran weatherman Paul Burt's departure has been shrouded in mystery and speculation.

However, recent insider revelations shed light on the real reason behind his unexpected sacking, and it's a tale that speaks volumes about the cutthroat nature of broadcasting.

Paul Burt, a familiar face to Queensland audiences for over a decade, made his final appearance on the 6 pm news bulletin with a candid admission of his dismissal.

'If I'd had the opportunity, I wouldn't have wanted to go this way. It's what happens when you get sacked,' he stated, leaving many watchers wondering about what happened behind the scenes.

According to a source within the Seven Network, letting Burt go was a heavy decision for the channel.

compressed-paul burt.jpeg
Paul Burt has been a popular figure in Channel Seven and created his own show. Image Credit: Facebook/Step Outside With Paul Burt

The decision was a result of extensive audience research conducted in the first quarter of the year.

The research's results indicated that Burt was among the least-liked presenters, with a significant 'switch-off' factor.

This research, the source explained, became a critical tool for networks to gauge viewer preferences and make informed decisions about on-air talents.
The insider emphasised that these decisions were not arbitrary, as networks invest heavily in polling and focus groups to identify which presenters resonate with audiences.

'The audience decides who reads the news,' they said, highlighting the reality of television ratings and its impact on career longevity.

Despite the network's rationale, Burt shared his scepticism toward the research findings.

He received an outpouring of support from fans online, suggesting a disconnect between the focus group data and public sentiment.

'I'm on the ground, I hear what people say, and I understand what they want,' Burt countered, questioning the decision that led to his dismissal.

The emotional toll of the situation was evident in an email Burt sent to his colleagues.

The email wrote:

'Hey everyone, I never thought I'd be writing this email anytime soon, but here we go.

First and foremost, I want to say thank you to everyone I have worked directly with. You have all been incredibly awesome, do sensational jobs, and deserve far more recognition than you get.

Secondly, those who reached out to me after the news over the weekend and today to check in on me and pass on your kind words, wow, it's been very humbling, so thank you.'

Burt's popularity was on full display during a live cross from Surfers Paradise, where fans rallied with banners praising him as Queensland's favourite weatherman.

This public display of affection underscored the connection Burt fostered with his audience over the years.

The shake-up at Channel Seven was part of a broader trend of media layoffs, with 150 editorial staff being cut out from the network last month.

Other prominent figures like Brisbane newsreader Sharyn Ghidella were among the laid-off staff.

Burt's career, which began in 1996, has been marked by a commitment to his craft and a genuine rapport with viewers.

Despite the controversy surrounding his departure, Burt's legacy is one of passionate reporting and a deep connection with his audience.

As the industry continues to evolve, Paul Burt's story is a reminder of the unpredictable nature of television and the importance of staying true to one's values amid change.
Key Takeaways

• Veteran weatherman Paul Burt was dismissed from Channel Seven after a focus group research indicated he was unpopular with audiences.
  • Despite being inundated with online messages of support, Paul Burt did not accept the findings and questioned the validity of the audience research.
  • Burt sent out an email to Channel Seven staff to thank them for being with him throughout his weatherman journey.
  • Seven West Media recently laid off 150 staff, including other prominent names such as Brisbane's Sharyn Ghidella.
What do you think about this revelation? Have you experienced a similar sense of loss when a favourite news personality goes off-air? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored