Social media erupts over shocking cruise ship photo: ‘Where are the parents?’

Aussies love going on cruises to explore the seas and its wonders. It's a fantastic way to enjoy exotic cuisines and experience the curiosities of other countries, making it the epitome of adventure!

However, recently, there was a disturbing image shared on Facebook.

It showed two children, seemingly in their teenage years, dangerously perched on a cruise ship's railing with their legs dangling over the edge. What shocked social media users even more was that their parents were nowhere to be seen.

The photo was accompanied by the caption, 'Where are the parents?' This incident has sparked concerns over cruise safety, prompting discussions on the need for responsible supervision and adherence to safety guidelines while onboard.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 7.04.56 PM.jpeg
The image was shared on social media, and plenty were left shocked and concerned. Credit: Facebook.

According to Robert Dempster, an eyewitness to the incident travelling on a nearby ship, the boys were on board the Serenade of the Seas vessel when a passenger on another nearby ship managed to capture the image.

'The photo was taken by someone on the cruise I was on, on Oasis of the Seas. Unbelievable, but thank goodness it didn't end in disaster!'

A spokesperson for Royal Caribbean, which some have pointed out owns the cruise ship, has since come forward, making it clear that 'Guest safety is of top importance to the company,' and that 'All passengers must abide by their guest conduct policy.'

Their guest conduct policy does state that 'sitting, standing, laying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior rails or other protective barriers' is strictly forbidden and could result in 'law enforcement or removal from the ship at the next port of call'.

Still, social media commenters were unable to contain their horror at the image.

'I'm freaking out just looking at this photo,' one wrote.

Another commented: 'Holy moly! My anxiety just went out of control seeing this',

Similarly, a third added, 'This makes me sick to my stomach. I hope someone got them down quickly.'

While rare, having people perched on ship railings is unfortunately not unheard of.

The situation is similar to that of a woman who was banned for life from Royal Caribbean lines after she foolishly climbed over her balcony railing to pose for a photo in her swimsuit.

Other incidents and a number of tragic deaths have also occurred on cruise ships over the years, and it's so important that everyone (especially younger passengers) be aware of the dangers.

The open deck and balcony areas of a ship are often considered places of beauty, relaxation and opportunity for a beautiful view, but we all must remember that they can also be quite dangerous.

If travelling with young children or other members of a vulnerable group, it's important to watch the passengers during the journey and provide guidance to ensure their safety.

Key Takeaways

• An image showing two children in a risky situation on a cruise ship has been circulating on social media, raising concerns over cruise safety.
  • The children, believed to be boys nearing their teenage years, were pictured sitting on the balcony railing with their legs dangling over the edge. Their parents were nowhere in sight.
  • When approached for a statement, the Royal Caribbean spokesperson emphasised that guest safety is the company's utmost priority and reminded that everyone on board must adhere to the guest conduct policy.
  • The photograph led to shocked and anxious comments on social media, with various users calling for the ban of the children and their parents from cruise ships.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Have any of you had similar experiences or been on a cruise before? Feel free to share your stories in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Aussies love going on cruises to explore the seas and its wonders. It's a fantastic way to enjoy exotic cuisines and experience the curiosities of other countries, making it the epitome of adventure!

It showed two children, seemingly in their teenage years, dangerously perched on a cruise ship's railing with their legs dangling over the edge. What shocked social media users even more was that their parents were nowhere to be seen.

The photo was accompanied by the caption, 'Where are the parents?' This incident has sparked concerns over cruise safety, prompting discussions on the need for responsible supervision and adherence to safety guidelines while onboard.

View attachment 26724
The image was shared on social media, and plenty were left shocked and concerned. Credit: Facebook.

According to Robert Dempster, an eyewitness to the incident travelling on a nearby ship, the boys were on board the Serenade of the Seas vessel when a passenger on another nearby ship managed to capture the image.

'The photo was taken by someone on the cruise I was on, on Oasis of the Seas. Unbelievable, but thank goodness it didn't end in disaster!'

A spokesperson for Royal Caribbean, which some have pointed out owns the cruise ship, has since come forward, making it clear that 'Guest safety is of top importance to the company,' and that 'All passengers must abide by their guest conduct policy.'

Their guest conduct policy does state that 'sitting, standing, laying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior rails or other protective barriers' is strictly forbidden and could result in 'law enforcement or removal from the ship at the next port of call'.

Still, social media commenters were unable to contain their horror at the image.

Another commented: 'Holy moly! My anxiety just went out of control seeing this',

Similarly, a third added, 'This makes me sick to my stomach. I hope someone got them down quickly.'

While rare, having people perched on ship railings is unfortunately not unheard of.

The situation is similar to that of a woman who was banned for life from Royal Caribbean lines after she foolishly climbed over her balcony railing to pose for a photo in her swimsuit.

Other incidents and a number of tragic deaths have also occurred on cruise ships over the years, and it's so important that everyone (especially younger passengers) be aware of the dangers.

The open deck and balcony areas of a ship are often considered places of beauty, relaxation and opportunity for a beautiful view, but we all must remember that they can also be quite dangerous.

If travelling with young children or other members of a vulnerable group, it's important to watch the passengers during the journey and provide guidance to ensure their safety.

Key Takeaways

• An image showing two children in a risky situation on a cruise ship has been circulating on social media, raising concerns over cruise safety.
  • The children, believed to be boys nearing their teenage years, were pictured sitting on the balcony railing with their legs dangling over the edge. Their parents were nowhere in sight.
  • When approached for a statement, the Royal Caribbean spokesperson emphasised that guest safety is the company's utmost priority and reminded that everyone on board must adhere to the guest conduct policy.
  • The photograph led to shocked and anxious comments on social media, with various users calling for the ban of the children and their parents from cruise ships.

What are your thoughts on this story, members? Have any of you had similar experiences or been on a cruise before? Feel free to share your stories in the comments section below!
Where's the parents 😕 there is no way my kid's would be left to their own devices on a ship park or anywhere without an eye on them 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

A suggestion maybe to install some sort of netting across balcony rooms where children are staying. Then removing after disembarking. Made my blood run cold when I saw that, goodness me.

Reactions: Gsr and janj
So dangerous! One consulation is that the ship was still in port but by no means does that excuse their actions. That whole family/group needed a stern talking to about safety before the ship left port.

Looking closely at the picture, it looks like the area is a cabin balcony. This then raise the question as Stated “ What are the parents doing “. The children also look to be old enough to realise that their actions are really irresponsible, for which they should be punished.

Reactions: Ricki and Gsr
A suggestion maybe to install some sort of netting across balcony rooms where children are staying. Then removing after disembarking. Made my blood run cold when I saw that, goodness me.
No. Just don't accept bookings for children in balcony rooms. Or better yet, no kids on cruise ships at all.

The kids are obviously old enough to know better so my guess is they were being idiots and showing off, especially if there was another ship nearby with a guest who had a camera handy. The cruise operators should have no trouble working out who they were and the whole family should be banned off future cruises. Does make one wonder where the parents were.

Reactions: Cyberchook

View attachment 26724

Key Takeaways

Those kids are old enough to know better it's not like they are toddlers.