Slithering into summer: Heatwave sparks early snake season alert

As the mercury soars and the sun blazes down on the great Australian landscape, an unexpected consequence has emerged that could pose a significant risk to our over-60s community.

The unseasonably hot weather has sparked an early start to ‘snake season’, prompting experts to issue an urgent warning for Aussies to remain vigilant and safe around these potentially deadly creatures.

Australians are advised to stay vigilant for snakes as the rising temperatures drive the reptiles to the surface.

The heatwave, which has seen record-high temperatures for winter, has led to snakes waking from their brumation—a hibernation-like state—much earlier than usual.

This means that encounters with snakes, including the notorious brown snake, could become more common as they venture out in search of cooler environments and food.

456280324_519615784079007_7237459084550318227_n.jpg
Australians have been warned to stay alert for snakes due to an early start to the season caused by unseasonably warm weather. Credit: Facebook / Snake Catcher Dan

Billy Collett, Operations Manager at the Australian Reptile Park, has highlighted the importance of understanding snake behaviour during these warmer months.

‘Typically, snakes do not come out of brumation until September. However, due to the unseasonably warm weather, experts warn that snakes could be active much earlier this year,’ he explained.

To minimise the risk of an unwelcome encounter with a snake, there are several precautions that can be taken.

‘All households to keep grass areas around their house mowed and well maintained; also avoid piling up leftover firewood or accumulating stick piles,’ Mr Collett advised.

‘Tin sheets or any household items like these that are piled up can draw in heat, providing a perfect man-made habitat for snakes. These areas provide a safe house for snakes as they sit in stealth mode, awaiting prey to feed, and if startled, they will defend through biting.’

Smaller snakes are more likely to hide among dense shrubs to stay warm during the day and retain heat throughout the night.

It's important to remember that snakes are not naturally aggressive and prefer to retreat rather than attack.

They only become a threat to humans if they feel threatened, provoked, or if an attempt is made to capture them.

‘It's important that all Australians know that snakes do not go out of their way to harm people,’ Mr Collett reassured.

He also added that people should avoid any interaction with snakes, regardless of their species.

However, with around 140 different species of snakes in Australia, of which 100 are venomous and 12 are capable of delivering a fatal bite, it's crucial to exercise caution.

The Coastal and Outback areas of the Northern Territory, Queensland, and New South Wales are especially hazardous, home to some of Australia's most venomous snakes.

Included in these are the Coastal Taipan, the second most venomous snake globally, the Eastern Brown Snake, and the Mainland Tiger Snake.

‘Snake bites mostly occur when people are trying to catch or kill the snake, so if you don't do either of those things, there's a greater chance that you'll be okay,’ Mr Collett said.

If bitten, the victim should stay 'calm and still' while emergency services are called for treatment.

Additionally, a tight bandage should be applied around the bite area and the affected limb, and all jewellery should be removed.

‘By applying the pressure-immobilisation bandage, the venom cannot easily spread through the body, slowing down the envenomation process by buying the bite victim more time to seek medical attention at the hospital,’ Mr Collett explained.

‘Depending on the species of venomous snake, a bite could destroy blood cells, cause blood clots, or excessive bleeding and destroy tissue.’

‘If not correctly treated with first aid immediately, a fatality can be as quick as 30 minutes,’ he added.

How to keep safe during snake season.png
As Australians face an early and intensified snake season due to unseasonably warm weather, another pressing concern has emerged.

The surge in snake sightings is not only a risk to personal safety but also raises alarms about potential hazards in homes.

Recent reports highlight an unsettling trend: snakes seeking refuge in tight spaces, which could lead to significant electrical issues.

This connection between the increased snake activity and its impact on household safety is prompting urgent discussions on how to address both the immediate risks and long-term concerns for residents.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians were warned to be vigilant for snakes as unseasonably warm weather leads to an earlier-than-usual start to snake season.
  • Experts advised that precautionary steps should be taken to minimise encounters with snakes, such as keeping grass areas mowed and avoiding piles of debris.
  • Billy Collett from the Australian Reptile Park emphasised that snakes are not naturally aggressive but recommended keeping a safe distance from all snakes and avoiding provocation.
  • In case of a snake bite, it's crucial to remain calm, immobilise the affected area, apply a pressure-immobilisation bandage, remove all jewellery, and seek immediate medical attention.
Have you or someone you know ever had a close encounter with a snake? What are your tips for keeping your home safe from them? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
A country girl many years ago, snake awareness was known to every child, also that they want to get away from you as much as you want to get away from them.
Quite a shock in 2024 to see rats followed by copperheads in our little local creek 15 mins away from main roads.
Reports to council does nothing , they just can’t figure out that cleaning out this one end of the creek removes rats, no rats no snakes.

Snakes don’t really bother me. My son has kept them for years. I know to give them a wide berth but they don’t fill me with fear. Now birds are a different story. They terrify me lol.
It's strange that one thing terrifies a person.

I've had several two metre plus hammerhead sharks cruise underneath me at South Durras on the NSW South Coast. No worries!

I've handled numerous red bellied black snakes and brown snakes. No worries!

I have even been bitten by a funnel web spider. And I'm still here!

But....

....I have a severe phobia of dragonflies which originates from my early childhood. Dunno why!

We have lived in our house since 1998 and we front onto bush with the creek and since we have been here we have had exactly 2 snakes (that we have seen) - one was in the roller door mechanism for which I had to get the snake catcher out (it was a python) and the other one was about a month or so ago and hubby went to go out onto the patio and called out - we have a visitor - HUGE python had made itself very comfortable and we just left it alone and it slithered away back into the bush - it had to be about 9 foot long and fat - I posted a photo on Facebook and quite a few friends in our estate said it is a "resident" but saying that there are always heaps of brown snakes in the estate all the time.

It's strange that one thing terrifies a person.

I've had several two metre plus hammerhead sharks cruise underneath me at South Durras on the NSW South Coast. No worries!

I've handled numerous red bellied black snakes and brown snakes. No worries!

I have even been bitten by a funnel web spider. And I'm still here!

But....

....I have a severe phobia of dragonflies which originates from my early childhood. Dunno why!
I know it’s weird isn’t it. I actually said to someone recently if I was on the beach and there was a seagull close by and a shark in the water I would probably take my chances with the shark lol

A country girl many years ago, snake awareness was known to every child, also that they want to get away from you as much as you want to get away from them.
Quite a shock in 2024 to see rats followed by copperheads in our little local creek 15 mins away from main roads.
Reports to council does nothing , they just can’t figure out that cleaning out this one end of the creek removes rats, no rats no snakes.
We get snakes going through our property in Tasmania we just leave them alone tell the grand kids to stay away from them and over a few days they have crossed our property we only have 7.3 acres

Ever since I almost trod on one when I was 5 I’ve loathed snakes. We had quite a few on the farm I grew up on but of course it wasn’t illegal to kill them back then. Snakes still give me the horrors & I still think the only good snake is a flattened one. I’m not fond of large spiders either. No offence to snake lovers. 😇

No snakes here at present but a couple of days ago my dog was acting very strange and he had found a very large and beautiful blue tongue lizard in the garden. It seems to have disappeared since then but it was not going to take any s--t from my dog. It hissed very loudly which I was surprised at. Lovely local I thought.

In WA North we have a snake called a “ Rock Python” or Carpet Snake. It is non venomous and grows to less than

2 mths. I was told that they were good eating, so when a couple of mates and self came accross one, we knocked it on the head, slit it from chin to A…. Hole To rid the guts, cooked it and ate it. A bit bland but OK with salt and pepper.

• Wow
Reactions: Iggydi
Ever since I almost trod on one when I was 5 I’ve loathed snakes. We had quite a few on the farm I grew up on but of course it wasn’t illegal to kill them back then. Snakes still give me the horrors & I still think the only good snake is a flattened one. I’m not fond of large spiders either. No offence to snake lovers. 😇
I'm with you - born & breed on a fruit farm which my dad kept the clean of grass. While we had the occasional track sighting, our neighbour was a whaco with a pet python he wrapped inside his shirt & around his neck while he walked his pet fox on a rope. His place was overrun with grass up to waist high and a great breeding ground for snakes.
When I was about 4yo I was with my sisters picking wild asparagus on the fence line between our properties and I was sitting with my legs out in front, playing with the dog when a snake wriggled past my feet (a few inches). Dog didn't react but I did - jumped up yelling "snake" - my brave sisters - 1 on each side of the fence took off with their buckets flying through the air. Never mind the little kid close to the snake!
I have been mega-paranoid ever since. Even went to Steve Irwin's Aussie Zoo and touched their white monster, much to my son's astonishment, but it still has not cured me of my fear. Mind you the feel of the snake reminded me of the old fashioned Glomesh handbag! Come to think of it, there would have been at least 6 pairs of boots plus 3 or 4 handbags worth in the snake!