Slithering in the seashore: Wildlife expert warns tourists of snake sightings on beaches

As the sun kisses the shores and the waves gently lap against the Australian coastline, beachgoers often look for the perfect spot to lay their towels and soak up the serene environment.

However, a recent sighting in Sydney reminded us that the beach is not just a playground for humans, but also a habitat for some of Australia's fearsome wildlife.

A video captured by a beachgoer in Kiama showed a pair of red-bellied black snakes entwined in a fierce battle.

This sighting caused quite a stir not only because of the dramatic encounter but also because it occurred outside the reptiles' active period.

'That is very unusual and a little bit rare to see this behaviour at this time of year,' Southern Highlands Snake Catchers' member Ray McGibbon said.

'It's not unheard of and has been witnessed before, but it is very interesting and unusual to get it on camera.'

compressed-snakee.jpeg
Red-bellied black snakes often mate during spring, which made the beach sighting unusual for some wildlife enthusiasts and officers. Image Credit: Australian Museum/R&A Williams

The snakes, usually more active in the warmer months, were seen engaging in a mating ritual despite the chill in the air.

McGibbon pointed to the fluctuating weather patterns in NSW as a possible catalyst.

On warm winter days resembling the spring breeze, animals may think it's mating season.

In this case, two male snakes were vying for the attention of a potential mate, showcasing their strength and dominance to win her over.

Snakes do not hibernate; instead, they enter a state called brumation, a dormant period during which they refrain from feeding due to the lack of heat needed for digestion.

However, snakes may emerge from time to time to bask in some sun.

This behaviour can lead to unexpected encounters, mainly when people are out and about.

'Like any time of year, when you're walking in certain areas where you may have a snake encounter, just be alert,' McGibbon advised.

'You don't touch them, you don't interact with them, you leave them alone.'

Call licensed professionals to manage a slithery situation safely.

In a previous article, Sydney residents were startled by the sight of a red-bellied black snake in their central business district.

The snake had slid into an underground car park and had to be retrieved by snake catchers from a hole in the wall.

While feeling uneasy around venomous snakes is natural, McGibbon emphasised that education is vital for everyone's safety.

Understanding these creatures and knowing how to react if you encounter one can help mitigate fear.

As we enjoy the great outdoors, let's remember that we share it with a diverse array of wildlife, each with its seasonal patterns and behaviours.
Key Takeaways

• A rare sighting of two red-bellied black snakes fighting was captured on video taken in Kiama.
  • Snake expert Ray McGibbon described the encounter as unusual for the time of year and reminded people to be vigilant of snakes, even in colder months.
  • The unusual activity was attributed to fluctuating weather patterns, causing the snakes to display mating or combat behaviour outside their active season.
  • McGibbon advised the public not to interact with snakes and to call licensed professionals if they come across one.
Have you ever had a close encounter with wildlife on the beach? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Snakes generally just want to be left alone to get on with their own business which is mostly basking in the sunshine and eating. If you come across a snake in the wild simply stop, do not make any sudden movements, and gently walk around them (at least 2 metres away) and they will also move away as they do not want any encounter with humans. Yes, I do speak from several experiences and I read a lot about snakes as I am interested in them.

Wow we often go to Kiama and hopefully will never come across a snake
Callala was rampant with red bellied black snakes in the 1990s and 2000s when I lived there. Lost count of how many I killed. The number of funnel web spiders I unearthed when clearing my block of land was amazing! Angry little buggers!

Have had 2 close encounters with dugites in suburban W.A.

I was erecting a fence, my eldest daughter (about 4 or 5 @ the time) was 2 blocks away on a vacant block & she called out, 'what is this daddy'. I still had the spade in my hand & flattened the snake.

The 2nd time we had just moved into our new home (owner builder), when my wife stated that a snake had just slid under the security door & went into the store room. I doubted but took a look behind the filing cabinet &, sure enough, there was a baby dugite. It was killed & then the Agricultural Dept was phoned. They were upset because it was not alive. 'Just put out a plate of milk next time & the snake will come to it'.

Next time perhaps. Fingers crossed that there won't be a next time!

Snakes were seen this Summer on the Esplanade and on the beach at Aldinga Beach and Pt Willunga. Both were brown snakes. Along the cliff top there is lots of thick vegetation and despite the tourists, red-bellies and brown snakes are frequently seen. You need to watch where you walk.

Reactions: Ezzy