Sleep like a pro at airports with this traveller’s secrets on safe and comfortable sleep strategies

Whether due to delays, missed connections or long layovers, many travellers find themselves needing to sleep in an airport.

It may not be the best place for some snooze, but getting quality rest is possible even in these uncomfortable environments—you just need to know the right strategies.

Travel influencer Sabina Trojanova knows this challenge all too well.

When her flight to Mexico was 'horrendously delayed' for 10 hours, she shared her best tips for safely snoozing at the airport on social media.

SDC 4.png
A traveller shared her secrets to a comfortable sleep at the airport. Source: onlyyouqj on Freepik.

'Let me show you how to sleep at the airport because I'm about to do it myself,' Sabina said.

'Ideally, I would have gone through security already, but that just wasn't possible because of the timing.'

The traveler said that the airside of the airport typically has more seating, lounges, and food, but people 'can’t get in late at night'.

She said that sleeping in the pre-security area was her 'second best scenario' while waiting for her flight.

Her first suggestion was to check out the free website Sleeping in Airports which she said had 'loads of information' and reviews from real people.

'This is not sponsored, but I use it myself,' she said.

Next, Sabina emphasised that comfort is key as your 'outfit is really important' when you’re spending hours at the airport.

'I'm not proud of this, but I did also take this blanket from my flight because it's the airline's fault that I'm stuck here for 10 hours,' Sabina admitted.

She added that safety must also be a top priority.

'Sleep near other people because there’s safety in numbers,' Sabina advised.

Sabina cleverly tied wire from her earbuds to her luggage and her wrist to avoid theft.

'It's really, really important that you secure your luggage as you're sleeping because otherwise, someone could just come along and take it. So this is my improvised solution,' she added.

When it's time to lay down, Sabina suggested a certain position saying: 'This kind of seating is not ideal because of the armrests, but there is one position that allows you to sleep.'

She then showed herself on the video lying face down on the seats.

Sabina concluded the video by saying: 'Wish me luck and goodnight.'

You can watch Sabina’s video below:

Source: TikTok/@girlvsglobe.

Her video has now been viewed over 1.2 million times and has prompted other users to share their airport stories.

'One time my dad refused to drive me at 6am so he dropped me off at 7pm the night before,' one commented.

While another replied: 'I’ve slept in O’Hare twice, and Atlanta once. It’s not great, but you do what you can.'

And a third added: 'I was stuck for 10 hours overnight at BWI when my flight got cancelled and rebooked the next morning and I had nowhere to go… I was with my 2-year-old.'
Key Takeaways
  • Frequent traveller Sabina Trojanova has shared her tips for sleeping safely in an airport.
  • She suggests wearing comfortable clothes, sleeping near others for safety, and securing belongings to prevent theft.
  • Sabina highlighted the website Sleeping in Airports as a useful resource for those needing to sleep at airports.
  • Her video tips gained significant attention online, prompting other users to share their airport sleep experiences.
Members, what’s the longest you’ve stayed in an airport? Have you ever had to sleep in an airport? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: DLHM
Sponsored
Actually, the kids weren’t too bad in the airports where they could move around.
It was the long haul flights that I would get out the Phenergan.