Slash your subscription costs by 80 per cent with this shocking trick

Subscriptions and memberships are becoming an integral part of our daily lives, so it's no surprise that these costs can quickly add up.

From streaming services like Netflix and Spotify to meal kit deliveries and even health and wellness apps, these subscriptions can take a significant bite out of your budget.

But what if there was a way to keep your favourite services without breaking the bank?

Enter the surprisingly simple trick that has been proven to save up to 80 per cent on costly subscriptions.

This strategy, shared by a savvy spender, Olivia, on social media, has been a game-changer for many—and it takes just a few minutes of your time.

freestocks-11SgH7U6TmI-unsplash.jpg
You may get a cheaper subscription using this trick. Credit: Unsplash

‘I’ve found to get your app subscriptions for cheaper: go to cancel the subscription through the app (or email or phone them), and they’ll offer you a better deal out of desperation to keep you, either on the spot or after you cancel,’ Olivia posted.

'I cancelled my Nibble subscription (a scooter and motorcycle hire service), and they offered an 80 per cent discount,' she posted.

This revelation sparked a flurry of comments from other group members who had also scored major discounts on their subscriptions by merely attempting to cancel them.

Megan, an Audiobook enthusiast, shared, 'I just did this with Audible. Went to leave, and they offered me 50 per cent off for the next three months.'

Jodie, another user, managed to secure a deal with Kindle Unlimited.

‘I cancelled Kindle Unlimited, and they offered me 99 cents a month for three months,’ she said.

This trick isn't just limited to app subscriptions. It can also work for other household expenses, such as insurance.

‘Worked for Down Dog, my yoga app I use daily,’ Amanda said.

‘They will also renew you for less if you’re in need, and in the three years I’ve been using it, I think I’ve paid as often as I’ve had free access and every time was discounted.’

‘Great company values and excellent app!’

User Roisin added, ‘Got three months free pet insurance doing this.’

Other users reported success with a variety of subscriptions, including home-delivered meal kits like Hello Fresh, Dinnerly, and Marley Spoon, eBay memberships, Microsoft software subscriptions, Norton Security computer products, fitness and wellness membership ClassPass, and ride and delivery membership Uber One.

Streaming service Paramount+ also offered a lower monthly fee for one user.

However, it's important to note that this trick may not work with all companies.

For instance, Netflix appears to allow users to cancel or choose a different service rather than offer a better deal. In such cases, it's a matter of deciding whether the service is worth the cost.

Just like this subscription trick, new trends and strategies are emerging to help everyone manage their personal finances more effectively.

But there’s another financial strategy gaining traction today—Loud Budgeting.

While this may be a new concept, it is a stark contrast to the 'Quiet Luxury' trend of 2023, which saw individuals indulging in high-end purchases without broadcasting their spending habits. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • There's a money-saving technique that involves attempting to cancel subscriptions to possibly receive a discounted offer.
  • Social media users shared success stories of significant savings on various subscriptions by employing this trick.
  • The trick is applicable to a range of services, including meal kits, audiobook subscriptions, fitness apps, and insurance.
  • Despite its effectiveness for many services, some subscriptions, like Netflix, may not provide a discounted offer upon cancellation attempts.
Have you tried this trick? What was your experience? Share your stories in the comments below!

Reactions: ECassidy
Sponsored
I did this with my Advertiser subscription , had to cancel over the phone, and the operator aventually offered me to keep the subscription and only pay $1/month for 6 months :)

What agravates me so much is if they can provide this type of pricing why not just reduce the cost up front for everyone. It's like the supermarkets, if they can offer regular discounts on for example soft drink (and if your a savvy shopper you know that the 2 majors offer the same discounts week about) why not just make the regular price cheaper! I know, you'll tell me that there are people out there who will pay the top prices no matter what, but more and more people faced with this increased cost of living crisis are beginning to realise you have to shop around, or reduce or completely stop some products or services.

Reactions: ECassidy and Davmes
What agravates me so much is if they can provide this type of pricing why not just reduce the cost up front for everyone. It's like the supermarkets, if they can offer regular discounts on for example soft drink (and if your a savvy shopper you know that the 2 majors offer the same discounts week about) why not just make the regular price cheaper! I know, you'll tell me that there are people out there who will pay the top prices no matter what, but more and more people faced with this increased cost of living crisis are beginning to realise you have to shop around, or reduce or completely stop some products or services.
it's called the 'loyalty tax'. You don't ask in any situation where you are paying for something, why would they offer a discount other than to get or keep the business.

What agravates me so much is if they can provide this type of pricing why not just reduce the cost up front for everyone. It's like the supermarkets, if they can offer regular discounts on for example soft drink (and if your a savvy shopper you know that the 2 majors offer the same discounts week about) why not just make the regular price cheaper! I know, you'll tell me that there are people out there who will pay the top prices no matter what, but more and more people faced with this increased cost of living crisis are beginning to realise you have to shop around, or reduce or completely stop some products or services
anything with Murdoch associated would be the reason I would cancel, period.

I keep getting emails from Netflix saying my subscription is about to end. The joke is on them I have never used Netflix and have never had a subscription with them!!

I keep getting emails from Netflix saying my subscription is about to end. The joke is on them I have never used Netflix and have never had a subscription with them!!
I’d say this is probably a scam.