Slash your grocery bill with this little-known supermarket tag secret!

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a daunting task, especially when you're trying to stick to a budget.

But what if we told you there's a secret weapon hiding in plain sight that could help you save big on your grocery bill?

It's called per unit pricing, and it's a game-changer for savvy shoppers.

Per unit pricing is a simple yet effective way to ensure you're getting the most bang for your buck.

It's a method of comparing prices based on the cost per unit of measure rather than the total cost of the item.

SDC 3.png
Per unit pricing is a method of comparing prices of products based on the cost per unit of measure. Image source: Coles Australia.

This is particularly useful for weighted products like pre-packaged meats, fruits, and vegetables, but it's now also applicable to a wide range of items.

It was recently discovered that per unit pricing has evolved to a whole new level as sales tags now displayed per unit prices for individually-packed items like teabags and not just by weight, as we've seen in the past.

For instance, a 20-pack Dilmah 85 Reserve Royal Ceylon Breakfast Tin Tea Bags had been marked down in-store from $14 to $9.80, which meant customers were paying just 49 cents per teabag.

Queen Victoria Lemon & Ginger Tea Bags are being sold for $5.50 for a pack of 100, marked down from $11 in-store, leaving customers paying just 6 cents per teabag.

Even cheaper are 100-pack Dilmah Pure Ceylon Premium Tea Bags at $5, down from $7.20 in-store and only 5 cents per teabag.

Similarly, Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Black Tea Bags in a 100-pack has also been marked down from $6.30 to $5 in-store, costing only 5 cents per teabag.

The benefit of per unit pricing is that it allows you to compare prices across different brands and package sizes.

However, not all supermarkets display per unit pricing, as observed in the Lipton Intense sales tag in one Coles store.

But don't fret, as you can easily calculate the per unit price yourself.

Simply divide the total price by the number of units in the package.

In this case, the Lipton Intense Extra Strong Black Tea Bags were marked down from $7.80 to $6.20, which works out to be around 6 cents per bag ($6.20/100=.062).

Per unit pricing is also displayed for customers shopping online.

A quick search for teabags on the Woolworths website revealed that each product displayed a per teabag price.

For example, Dilmah Extra Strength is selling for $15.00 for 200 teabags which works out to be 8 cents per teabag.

Lipton Quality Black Tea is selling for $7.00 for 100 bags which leaves customers paying 7 cents per teabag.

Tetley Tea Cup Bags are the most affordable, on sale for $3.80 for a pack of 10, which works at 4 cents per teabag.

Per unit pricing remains the most effective way to ensure you are paying the lowest price possible for each grocery item.

It's a simple strategy that can save you a significant amount of money over time.
Key Takeaways
  • Per unit pricing helps consumers determine the lowest possible price for grocery items, including teabags, by breaking down the cost per individual unit.
  • Sales tags on grocery items now included per unit pricing for products not typically sold by weight, such as individual teabags, allowing for easier comparison and more informed purchasing decisions.
  • Supermarket promotions can further reduce the per unit price of items, as evidenced by several examples, including the marked-down price of Dilmah, Queen Victoria, and Lipton tea brands.
  • Per unit pricing is also available for online shoppers, ensuring that consumers can compare prices across various brands and packages to find the most affordable option.
What are your thoughts on per unit pricing? Have you used this strategy before? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
This makes life easier than years ago where we'd stand in front of the same type of several branded products & do a mental calculation of cost per 100 grams or smaller amounts.

Takes the fun away from shopping doesn't it?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: relljube and DLHM
This makes life easier that years ago where we'd stand in front of the same type of several branded products & do a mental calculation of cost per 100 grams or smaller amounts.

Takes the fun away from shopping doesn't it?
When in a hurry, unit pricing makes it convenient to compare prices. But I agree, it’s good exercise for our brains to do mental calculations.

If you have the time, magnifying glass🔎🧝‍♀️ and good bending back :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, go for it!(y). I don't have hours to go through all the things I want to buy, neighter do I have the back, thanks to my fractured T8 spinal cord & painful arthritis in my lower back. I do however have the magnifying glass 🔍 😂

Reactions: Ezzy and Davmes
🤦smh, this is such a non event story. If people didn't know this by now then there's no hope.
Exactly my thoughts. I have looked at price per unit for years. It is especially valuable for items like cartons of soft drink when priced on sale. Just compare the price per can and see if it is really a saving. I even do it for toilet rolls. You soon get to do it automatically when your grocery shopping is an a budget and you need to check whether bulk buying when item is marked as "special" is really a bargain.

tetley tea bags at $3.80 for pack of 10 ?? at $3.80= 0.38c per bag......not exactly the cheapest

If you have the time, magnifying glass🔎🧝‍♀️ and good bending back :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, go for it!(y). I don't have hours to go through all the things I want to buy, neighter do I have the back, thanks to my fractured T8 spinal cord & painful arthritis in my lower back. I do however have the magnifying glass 🔍 😂

I think it should be introduced in chemists as well. I need and use a few vitamins and trying to find the cheapest buy can get difficult with different strengths as well as a wide range of content sizes and brands.

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I always check the unit price.
When you do it . You see how much more you pay for those small packets of cooked meats,for instance.
And many more items..

Reactions: Ezzy