Slash your grocery bill in half with these seasoned shopping tips!

As the world turns, prices seem to keep soaring.

If you're nodding in agreement, dear reader, you're not alone–all the signs seem to tell us the good old days of cheap groceries are behind us. The proof is in the pudding, or rather, the price tag.

The latest data from Compare the Market reveals that Aussies are forking out an extra $1,565 on groceries yearly, making it the principal financial worry for about 32 per cent of the population. For reference, the weekly grocery bill in 2021 sat around $169.35 and has jumped to $199.46.

As a result, everyday Aussies are sharing their top hacks and homegrown wisdom on tightening the purse strings without sacrificing quality or enjoyment. Their solutions range from the downright ingenious to the kind that makes one wonder why they didn’t think of such savvy means to save.

One of these wallet-friendly tips requires a smidgen of planning but, according to the enthusiasts, could save you a considerable chunk at the checkout.

A new study from ShopFully reveals that two out of three shoppers are scanning online versions of store catalogues to scout out the best deals.

grocery shopping_pexels_fecbd9e1-049b-416f-868c-5c8756ef9dae.jpeg
If you’ve ever thought twice about putting an item in your grocery cart or basket, you’re not alone. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

ShopFully's database, which includes the major supermarkets' catalogues, allows customers to compare prices on everyday items and decide where the best deals are.

‘ShopFully estimates that shoppers can save upwards of $50-$100 per week by heading to the supermarket armed with a plan about how to spend their grocery budget,’ said Brendan Straw, Country Manager for ShopFully Australia.

‘That’s anywhere between $200-$400 per month back into the wallets of everyday Australians.’

Around 75 per cent of Aussies also said that their daily lives and shopping habits have been ‘badly impacted’ by inflation.

‘[T]hose impacted report[ed] an increase in cost-cutting measures to save money. Close to three out of four (71 per cent) confirmed they opt for the cheapest prices while grocery shopping, purposefully choosing generic branded items or on-sale products to save money,’ Straw added.

Now, shopping cheap aside, what are other ways we can make the most of our money these days?

Siobhan Williams, Head of Mortgages - Retail Broker at Pepper Money, hits the nail on the head with her shopping strategy.

She shops exclusively online, partly to counter one habit more than a few of us unwittingly do.

‘How often do you buy excess stuff in the supermarket because cravings kick in, and you walk out with the exact opposite of what you went in for?’ Siobhan pointed out.

But that’s not all there is to her savvy technique.

Siobhan said, ‘My solution is to do my grocery shopping online after having eaten a full meal. This way, I’m less likely to impulse buy and spend money on items I don’t need. Plus, there’s no temptation from freshly baked bread or BBQ chicken.

‘This also gives me more time back in my day to spend with my kids doing something fun–without them begging me to buy them snacks from every aisle.’

Now that's self-knowledge in action! Shopping after a full meal, there's no temptation for those unnecessary goodies that mysteriously find their way into your trolley when you shop in-store.

thinking shopper_shutterstock_9e7ea3b4-8b7c-465d-8239-6c4753bb0263.jpeg
Cost-of-living pressures have forced many to consider ways to make the most out of their budgets. Image Credit: Shutterstock

And it's not just Siobhan who’s caught onto this trend. A 2013 study found that almost 62 per cent of supermarket sales are attributed to impulse buys, meaning your trolley might be fuller than you'd planned.

More seasoned savers have discovered high-'steaks' ways (pardon the pun!) to keep the finances lean while still enjoying a Sunday roast or two.

One such tip shared on the online forum Reddit outlines a clever trick to enjoy a tender, steakhouse-quality meal without burning a hole in your pocket.

The secret, you ask? ‘Velveting', which is a simple technique involving a bicarb/cornflour mix applied to your chosen cut of meat. It is commonly used in Chinese takeaways.

This under-the-radar culinary tip can give inexpensive cuts like chuck or rump the succulent texture of a high-priced fillet. Now, that's what we call money-saving magic!

Straw echoed the sentiment, stating, 'Nationwide, shoppers are adopting money-saving techniques and trading brand loyalty in exchange for the best value.’

‘Aussies have always loved a bargain, but now more than ever [they’re] ensuring they’re cashing in on the best price is top of mind, especially when it comes to discretionary spending.'

Key Takeaways

• According to Compare the Market data, Australians spend $1565 extra annually on groceries–a primary financial concern for 32 per cent of the population.
  • Utilising planning and online tools like ShopFully to browse store catalogues for the best deals can save shoppers $50-$100 per week, amounting to $200-$400 monthly savings.
  • Siobhan Williams, Head of Mortgages – Retail Broker at Pepper Money, suggests shopping online after a meal to avoid impulsive purchases, which a 2013 study found accounts for up to 62 per cent of supermarket sales.
  • Money-saving techniques such as tenderising cheaper cuts of meat using bicarb soda are gaining popularity, and an increasing number of Australians are prioritising value over brand loyalty.

Of course, you can also check out our Wednesday morning newsletters for quick and easy access to the best deals from Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA!

So, members, whether you're a newbie shopper in the digital world or a seasoned bargain hunter, we hope these tips can help put some spare change back into your pocket.

Do you have other budget-saving tips you’d want to share? Tell us below!

Last edited:
Reactions: zazava
Sponsored
I also use sites like CashRewards. Yes, it does take a while for the money to build up, but if you shop a lot online and use the CashRewards site, you can get a cashback paid straight into your PayPal account. I take advantage of the bonus payments for shopping when it gets up to 10-20% payment etc. Check it out, it is free to sign up and is another way to earn some extra money for doing your usual shopping.

As the world turns, prices seem to keep soaring.

If you're nodding in agreement, dear reader, you're not alone–all the signs seem to tell us the good old days of cheap groceries are behind us. The proof is in the pudding, or rather, the price tag.

The latest data from Compare the Market reveals that Aussies are forking out an extra $1,565 on groceries yearly, making it the principal financial worry for about 32 per cent of the population. For reference, the weekly grocery bill in 2021 sat around $169.35 and has jumped to $199.46.

As a result, everyday Aussies are sharing their top hacks and homegrown wisdom on tightening the purse strings without sacrificing quality or enjoyment. Their solutions range from the downright ingenious to the kind that makes one wonder why they didn’t think of such savvy means to save.

One of these wallet-friendly tips requires a smidgen of planning but, according to the enthusiasts, could save you a considerable chunk at the checkout.

A new study from ShopFully reveals that two out of three shoppers are scanning online versions of store catalogues to scout out the best deals.

View attachment 28029
If you’ve ever thought twice about putting an item in your grocery cart or basket, you’re not alone. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets

ShopFully's database, which includes the major supermarkets' catalogues, allows customers to compare prices on everyday items and decide where the best deals are.

‘ShopFully estimates that shoppers can save upwards of $50-$100 per week by heading to the supermarket armed with a plan about how to spend their grocery budget,’ said Brendan Straw, Country Manager for ShopFully Australia.

‘That’s anywhere between $200-$400 per month back into the wallets of everyday Australians.’

Around 75 per cent of Aussies also said that their daily lives and shopping habits have been ‘badly impacted’ by inflation.

‘[T]hose impacted report[ed] an increase in cost-cutting measures to save money. Close to three out of four (71 per cent) confirmed they opt for the cheapest prices while grocery shopping, purposefully choosing generic branded items or on-sale products to save money,’ Straw added.

Now, shopping cheap aside, what are other ways we can make the most of our money these days?

Siobhan Williams, Head of Mortgages - Retail Broker at Pepper Money, hits the nail on the head with her shopping strategy.

She shops exclusively online, partly to counter one habit more than a few of us unwittingly do.

‘How often do you buy excess stuff in the supermarket because cravings kick in, and you walk out with the exact opposite of what you went in for?’ Siobhan pointed out.

But that’s not all there is to her savvy technique.

Siobhan said, ‘My solution is to do my grocery shopping online after having eaten a full meal. This way, I’m less likely to impulse buy and spend money on items I don’t need. Plus, there’s no temptation from freshly baked bread or BBQ chicken.

‘This also gives me more time back in my day to spend with my kids doing something fun–without them begging me to buy them snacks from every aisle.’

Now that's self-knowledge in action! Shopping after a full meal, there's no temptation for those unnecessary goodies that mysteriously find their way into your trolley when you shop in-store.

View attachment 28030
Cost-of-living pressures have forced many to consider ways to make the most out of their budgets. Image Credit: Shutterstock

And it's not just Siobhan who’s caught onto this trend. A 2013 study found that almost 62 per cent of supermarket sales are attributed to impulse buys, meaning your trolley might be fuller than you'd planned.

More seasoned savers have discovered high-'steaks' ways (pardon the pun!) to keep the finances lean while still enjoying a Sunday roast or two.

One such tip shared on the online forum Reddit outlines a clever trick to enjoy a tender, steakhouse-quality meal without burning a hole in your pocket.

The secret, you ask? ‘Velveting', which is a simple technique involving a bicarb/cornflour mix applied to your chosen cut of meat. It is commonly used in Chinese takeaways.

This under-the-radar culinary tip can give inexpensive cuts like chuck or rump the succulent texture of a high-priced fillet. Now, that's what we call money-saving magic!

Straw echoed the sentiment, stating, 'Nationwide, shoppers are adopting money-saving techniques and trading brand loyalty in exchange for the best value.’

‘Aussies have always loved a bargain, but now more than ever [they’re] ensuring they’re cashing in on the best price is top of mind, especially when it comes to discretionary spending.'

Key Takeaways

• According to Compare the Market data, Australians spend $1565 extra annually on groceries–a primary financial concern for 32 per cent of the population.
  • Utilising planning and online tools like ShopFully to browse store catalogues for the best deals can save shoppers $50-$100 per week, amounting to $200-$400 monthly savings.
  • Siobhan Williams, Head of Mortgages – Retail Broker at Pepper Money, suggests shopping online after a meal to avoid impulsive purchases, which a 2013 study found accounts for up to 62 per cent of supermarket sales.
  • Money-saving techniques such as tenderising cheaper cuts of meat using bicarb soda are gaining popularity, and an increasing number of Australians are prioritising value over brand loyalty.

Of course, you can also check out our Wednesday morning newsletters for quick and easy access to the best deals from Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA!

So, members, whether you're a newbie shopper in the digital world or a seasoned bargain hunter, we hope these tips can help put some spare change back into your pocket.

Do you have other budget-saving tips you’d want to share? Tell us below!
I have downloaded the app 1/2 price it only gives Woolworths and Coles discounted items but it helps me enormously. When a pantry product is 1/2 price I buy 2 so I can stock up my pantry