Slash your grocery bill: Here are the best-value fruits and veggies this September

As we tiptoe our way into the earliest breath of springtime, we at the Seniors Discount Club feel it's time to shed some light on the best-value fruits and veggies that you should be adding to your shopping baskets this month.

After all, who doesn't love to save a bit of cash on their groceries while enjoying the freshest of flavours?

The first to answer the roll call of good-value produce is iceberg lettuce.

According to Damian Toscano, owner of the renowned Toscano's grocery stores in Melbourne, this salad essential is spring's top pick and, delightfully, far more affordable than the costly prices last year.

compressed-petr-magera-YLeRHRiRgts-unsplash.jpeg
Iceberg lettuce is more affordable this year. Credit: Petr Magera/Unsplash

'Lettuce has come right back … it’s cheaper than I’ve seen it in the last five years,' he said.

'They had a horror start to the season with all the rain just after they planted. Then everyone planted at the same time, so they will all come in at the same time,' Mr Toscano added.

You can snag iceberg lettuce for a mere $2.50 to $3 each, and the price is anticipated to drop as the weather warms up. After all, what beats a crisp garden bed of iceberg wedges for those springtime salads?

Meanwhile, the lesser-known gem lettuce, too, priced under $2.50, is ready to make its appearance. Let them serve as tiny rafts for zesty, punch-packed salads.

But, let's not forget the ‘yo-yo veg’, green beans, which will throw your weekly menu for a twist for $2.99 As Dino Labbozzetta, the Manager at Adelaide Fresh Fruiterers, puts it, 'There could be a flush or a glut, and then they slow down on the picking side.'

Snow peas are also beginning to get attention, particularly those freshly plucked from Adelaide's Murray Bridge region, and are expected to dive down in the price chart this month.

But that’s not all. Toscano advised to keep an eye on asparagus, now priced at $2.99 compared to the previous $4.50 price point.

Shoppers can also look for garlic shoots or scapes, as they’re also known.

'It’s sort of like a spring onion or a shallot– like a garlic-shallot,' Toscano described. They’re not garlicky enough to cause a too-strong breath but just right to add a delightful layer to your salads, or they could be stir-fried with meat.

compressed-1 (4).jpeg
Garlic shoots can be added to salads or stir-fried with meat. Credit: Lev Kropotov/Shutterstock

Avocado lovers, it’s time to rejoice, as these are going for just $1.50 each, thanks to a bountiful season with no slowdown in sight.

However, don’t turn a blind eye to the ever-faithful florets! Both cauliflower and broccoli are also great picks this season, while broccolini manages to uphold its cheap and trendy status, priced at $2.90 a bunch in supermarkets.

The bright and sunny days also herald the much-anticipated arrival of berry season.

'Strawberries are plentiful because the Queensland and West Australian season is in full flight,' shared Labbozzetta. ‘The rule of thumb is that they stay good until around grand final weekend–that’s my memory, and I’ve been doing this for 20 years.’

Grab them for just $1.80 to $3 a punnet, and they’re great for cakes or strawberries and cream.

Labbozzetta also mentioned blueberries, which can be found for $3 to $5 a punnet.

And, last but not least, don’t worry, citrus lovers. ‘Navel oranges and afourer mandarins are going to be in for the next couple of months,’ he added.

Pineapples are turning around their prices in a sweeter direction, so get ready to add some tropical twist to your dishes. ‘We’ve just seen a shift this week with price easing, and the flavour is really good,’ Labbozzetta expressed. ‘You can find a good-size pineapple for between $4 and $6.’

In the ever-changing world of fresh produce, you can be sure that by smart seasonal shopping, you'll not only eat better, but you'll save a few dollars. So, here's to a tasty and thrifty September filled with budget-friendly and delicious seasonal delights.

If you’re interested in more recommendations, here’s a list for you:

Best-value Fruits and Veggies.jpg

Key Takeaways
  • Iceberg lettuce prices have dropped significantly, and it is now cheaper than in the last five years.
  • Prices for asparagus, avocados, garlic shoots (also known as garlic scapes), and green beans have also come down and are expected to either remain steady or further decrease as spring progresses.
  • Berries, especially strawberries and blueberries, are plentiful and affordable this season, with strawberries expected to remain in good supply until around the end of the football grand final weekend.
  • Other fruits to buy are pineapples, navel oranges and afourer mandarins.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have recipes for these affordable fruits and veggies? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wait all year for the sweet apples, like Kanzi and Pink Ladies, to some in at the right price. I used to haunt the fruit shops for Jonathons, but they have disappeared off the face of the planet. My fave applies of all time. I'm an apple a day girl whether I can get my preference or not.
All year round, I do like a fresh pineapple. Bit expensive off season, but for me worth every bite.
Hubby is a watermelon fiend.
We both love the summer stone fruit.
Strawberries are amazing at the moment and I have snatched some good bargains.
I started on our summer salad menu this week. Was nice the get into the lemon tank bean salad again.
Any time of year is a good time for fruit and veg. Because there are only two of us, we can budget to pay the going price by only buying what we need. We do like our fresh produce. I prefer not to buy stuff imported from overseas. No telling how it has been hanging about.

Reactions: Davmes
My favorite Apple was the Batlow apple but I have not been able to buy them in SA. I would eat them when I lived in Qld for a few years,they were juicy and sweet.