Slash your electricity bill this winter with this ingenious bubble wrap trick to keep your home cosy!

As the cold weather sets in, keeping your home cosy can become a challenge, especially when you don't want to spend a fortune on heating bills. However, there's a simple trick that can help you stay warm and save money.

So what's the trick? It's easy – cover your windows with bubble wrap! This may sound unusual, but it's a time-tested technique that can significantly reduce heat loss and lower your heating bills.

Plus, it's a fun and budget-friendly DIY project that can be done in minutes.

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 12.52.09 PM.png
Homeowners and renters have discovered that using bubble wrap on windows can help keep their houses warm during winter and potentially halve electricity bills. Credit: Unsplash/cottonbro studio.

This clever bubble wrap tip was shared by an Aussie mum on a popular Facebook group. According to her post, her mother in New Zealand swears by this method and has managed to cut her electricity bill in half during the winter months.

The best part about this is that it's incredibly easy to execute. All you need to do is cut the bubble wrap to fit your windows, lightly spray the window with water, and you're done! The bubble wrap doesn't leave any marks, making it perfect for renters who can’t want to permanently alter the windows.

If you're curious about how this bubble wrap method actually works and whether it's effective, let's delve a bit into the science behind it. Apparently, windows are notorious for allowing heat to escape from our homes, but bubble wrap can help mitigate this issue.

The key lies in the air-filled pockets present in the bubble wrap. These pockets act as insulators by reducing the transfer of heat through the windows. It creates a layer of trapped air, which serves as a barrier against the cold air outside and the warm air inside.

According to some estimates, bubble wrap can reduce heat loss by up to 50 per cent on single-pane windows and around 20 per cent on double-pane windows. (However, the technique may not be as effective for triple-pane windows.)

One of the great advantages of using bubble wrap is its quick and easy installation process. Unlike other insulating methods that require taping, blow-drying, or using window kits that can wear out and split over time, bubble wrap is hassle-free.

You simply cut it to size, lightly spray the window with water, and attach the bubble wrap. It's a convenient and cost-effective alternative.

Additionally, bubble wrap is transparent, which means you don't have to worry about obstructing your view from the window or sacrificing natural light. You can enjoy the benefits of improved insulation without compromising the aesthetics or functionality of your windows.

Other ways to reduce energy costs during winter_.jpg

It's amazing to see the positive response and feedback from those who have tried the bubble wrap trick. Many users have shared their own success stories and even offered some additional tips and modifications based on their experiences.

Here are a few helpful suggestions to enhance the effectiveness of the method:

Opt for larger bubbles and wider sheets of bubble wrap:

If you have larger windows or windows that tend to lose more heat, using bubble wrap with larger bubbles and wider sheets can provide better insulation. This allows for increased coverage and a more effective barrier against heat transfer.

Get creative with the appearance:

If you're concerned about the look of bubble-wrapped windows, there are ways to make them more visually appealing. One suggestion is to attach the bubble wrap to cardboard cutouts that are sized to fit your windows. This way, you can easily remove and replace them as needed, and the cardboard adds a more finished and uniform look.

Combine bubble wrap with other insulating materials:

For even greater insulation, consider combining bubble wrap with other materials known for their insulating properties. Some users have suggested using car reflective sun visors or thermal curtains in conjunction with bubble wrap. This layered approach can provide an extra level of warmth and energy savings.

It's important to note that while bubble wrap can be an effective and easy way to insulate your windows during the winter, you should keep an eye out for any moisture buildup over time.

One homeowner reported that their use of bubble wrap led to mould growth on their window. So, it's crucial to regularly check for any issues and address them promptly to avoid potential damage to your home.

Key Takeaways

• Stay warm and save money this winter with a clever bubble wrap tip shared by resourceful Aussie mums.
  • By covering your windows with bubble wrap, you can reduce heat loss and lower your heating bills. Just be mindful of potential moisture buildup and check regularly to address any issues.

With these helpful tips from resourceful Aussie mums, you can keep your home warm and toasty without breaking the bank this winter. Don't let the cold weather give you the shivers - grab a roll of bubble wrap and start insulating your windows like a pro!

We hope these tips have been useful to you. If you have any additional tips or tricks for staying warm and saving energy during the winter, please share them with us in the comments below. Here's to a happy and cosy winter season!

Sponsored
pray tell where does one get bubble wrap & how much?
Bunnings sell it,
500m x5m blue wrap = $5.00
750m x 25m blue wrap = $23.40

Also australia post sell it, but it wouldn't be a big size.
Also what you could do is go to McDonald or hungry jacks.
When they get new play Jim's thay come in bubble wrap, the fitters need to take off the wrap and get rid of it @ there cost, they would be happy to had it over.
Hope this help everybody out. Cheers

Well, I'm not going to cover my windows with bubble wrap!

Other solutions mentioned above:
Thicker bedding - I have invested in 95% duck down doonas, I don't use electric blankets and heating goes off when I go to bed
Heating only rooms I use - unfortunately, the heating/cooling is not divided into zones, so I have to heat the entire area
Curtains - are open during the day and closed at night
Ceiling fans - I don't have any
Draughts and cracks - fairly new house
Using shower to get warm - I never got why people do this, any warmth goes as soon as you step out of the shower
Turning off appliances - I turn off most of them

Additional:
- change all older type light globes to LED
- install solar panels - keeping in mind that the appliances in your house draw on the energy generated by the panels before sending the surplus into the grid.

I have set replaced the globes in the living rooms and bedrooms with smart globes controlled with Google. This is particularly useful if you have a ton of downlights in a room and don't need to have all of them on at the same time, as each downlight can be turned on/off individually. Also, when I go away, I have two downlights in the family room and the light in my son's former bedroom set to turn on at sunset and turn off at around 11 pm, the light in my bedroom comes on at 10:45 pm and goes off at midnight.

I started saving on electricity bills from the day I took up an offer in the Tasmanian newspaper back in 2011, 1kw solar system for FREE. I change the Converter to a 2kw and paid the difference which was not that much. my very first bill after that was $17, from then on I was in credit that is the last bill that came out of my pocket. In 2014 put a 3kw system on, since then it was just building up money, today we are still $4000 in credit, last bill that came out of our credit was $34 the rest is covered by what our 5kw system puts back into the grid.

pray tell where does one get bubble wrap & how much?
Post offices, newsagents are outlets And if that doesn't work try google land but if research is too tedious then turn on air con, fan or heaters as they will despite costs fill their designed purpose and no labour involved as compared to putting up bubble wrap. Hope my unsolicited response helps.

Reactions: Ezzy, Gsr and Ricci
As the cold weather sets in, keeping your home cosy can become a challenge, especially when you don't want to spend a fortune on heating bills. However, there's a simple trick that can help you stay warm and save money.

So what's the trick? It's easy – cover your windows with bubble wrap! This may sound unusual, but it's a time-tested technique that can significantly reduce heat loss and lower your heating bills.

Plus, it's a fun and budget-friendly DIY project that can be done in minutes.

View attachment 19687
Homeowners and renters have discovered that using bubble wrap on windows can help keep their houses warm during winter and potentially halve electricity bills. Credit: Unsplash/cottonbro studio.

This clever bubble wrap tip was shared by an Aussie mum on a popular Facebook group. According to her post, her mother in New Zealand swears by this method and has managed to cut her electricity bill in half during the winter months.

The best part about this is that it's incredibly easy to execute. All you need to do is cut the bubble wrap to fit your windows, lightly spray the window with water, and you're done! The bubble wrap doesn't leave any marks, making it perfect for renters who can’t want to permanently alter the windows.

If you're curious about how this bubble wrap method actually works and whether it's effective, let's delve a bit into the science behind it. Apparently, windows are notorious for allowing heat to escape from our homes, but bubble wrap can help mitigate this issue.

The key lies in the air-filled pockets present in the bubble wrap. These pockets act as insulators by reducing the transfer of heat through the windows. It creates a layer of trapped air, which serves as a barrier against the cold air outside and the warm air inside.

According to some estimates, bubble wrap can reduce heat loss by up to 50 per cent on single-pane windows and around 20 per cent on double-pane windows. (However, the technique may not be as effective for triple-pane windows.)

One of the great advantages of using bubble wrap is its quick and easy installation process. Unlike other insulating methods that require taping, blow-drying, or using window kits that can wear out and split over time, bubble wrap is hassle-free.

You simply cut it to size, lightly spray the window with water, and attach the bubble wrap. It's a convenient and cost-effective alternative.

Additionally, bubble wrap is transparent, which means you don't have to worry about obstructing your view from the window or sacrificing natural light. You can enjoy the benefits of improved insulation without compromising the aesthetics or functionality of your windows.

It's amazing to see the positive response and feedback from those who have tried the bubble wrap trick. Many users have shared their own success stories and even offered some additional tips and modifications based on their experiences.

Here are a few helpful suggestions to enhance the effectiveness of the method:

Opt for larger bubbles and wider sheets of bubble wrap:

If you have larger windows or windows that tend to lose more heat, using bubble wrap with larger bubbles and wider sheets can provide better insulation. This allows for increased coverage and a more effective barrier against heat transfer.

Get creative with the appearance:

If you're concerned about the look of bubble-wrapped windows, there are ways to make them more visually appealing. One suggestion is to attach the bubble wrap to cardboard cutouts that are sized to fit your windows. This way, you can easily remove and replace them as needed, and the cardboard adds a more finished and uniform look.

Combine bubble wrap with other insulating materials:

For even greater insulation, consider combining bubble wrap with other materials known for their insulating properties. Some users have suggested using car reflective sun visors or thermal curtains in conjunction with bubble wrap. This layered approach can provide an extra level of warmth and energy savings.

It's important to note that while bubble wrap can be an effective and easy way to insulate your windows during the winter, you should keep an eye out for any moisture buildup over time.

One homeowner reported that their use of bubble wrap led to mould growth on their window. So, it's crucial to regularly check for any issues and address them promptly to avoid potential damage to your home.

Key Takeaways

• Stay warm and save money this winter with a clever bubble wrap tip shared by resourceful Aussie mums.
  • By covering your windows with bubble wrap, you can reduce heat loss and lower your heating bills. Just be mindful of potential moisture buildup and check regularly to address any issues.

With these helpful tips from resourceful Aussie mums, you can keep your home warm and toasty without breaking the bank this winter. Don't let the cold weather give you the shivers - grab a roll of bubble wrap and start insulating your windows like a pro!

We hope these tips have been useful to you. If you have any additional tips or tricks for staying warm and saving energy during the winter, please share them with us in the comments below. Here's to a happy and cosy winter season!
Yes i can see how the bubble wrap certainly would be effective,.. when i was a sole parent it would have been a huge blessing but it wasnt around in those days.. maybe Bunnings may have it in larger rolls so i will check that out later.

Years ago there was a heating method simply using a terracotta pot and terracotta base and a burning candle placed beneath the turned up pot which was the heated up and the radiant heat warmed up the room . The pot has the hole in it keeps the air circulating and the flame burning. Simple and super cheap
... has anyone ever heard of that method. It was so many years ago but makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I have never used heating in any house I have ever lived in. A hot water bottle and a blanket is all I have ever used. Cuddle up to a hot water bottle day and night and take one or two to bed, heat lasts for ages and keeps me warm. Never had heating when the kids were little either, they survived and so did I. No air conditioning in summer and no heating in winter. We survived...amazing! People use air conditioning and heating and then whinge when the electricity bill is sky high. If you can afford to do that, then great, enjoy the luxuries, but they are luxuries and one cannot live a champagne lifestyle on a beer income and then not expect to pay for it.

I have never used heating in any house I have ever lived in. A hot water bottle and a blanket is all I have ever used. Cuddle up to a hot water bottle day and night and take one or two to bed, heat lasts for ages and keeps me warm. Never had heating when the kids were little either, they survived and so did I. No air conditioning in summer and no heating in winter. We survived...amazing! People use air conditioning and heating and then whinge when the electricity bill is sky high. If you can afford to do that, then great, enjoy the luxuries, but they are luxuries and one cannot live a champagne lifestyle on a beer income and then not expect to pay for it y.

Yes i used a water bottle when i lived in country in the south west where it would get extremely cold .. but its important to make sure you stand over the sink when you put in the boiling water and not over fill it and run over and burn you and also the hw bottles rubber may perish if it's aged or not of quality rubber, so to be wise stand over the sink when filling it up as boiling waters over your body is not a nice feeling... it's scorching hot and the wet clothes still burn you.. oooh . Experience is the greatest teacher.

Yes i can see how the bubble wrap certainly would be effective,.. when i was a sole parent it would have been a huge blessing but it wasnt around in those days.. maybe Bunnings may have it in larger rolls so i will check that out later.

Years ago there was a heating method simply using a terracotta pot and terracotta base and a burning candle placed beneath the turned up pot which was the heated up and the radiant heat warmed up the room . The pot has the hole in it keeps the air circulating and the flame burning. Simple and super cheap
... has anyone ever heard of that method. It was so many years ago but makes sense to me.
A bit of a read, but the important bit is the very last sentence. From "The Big Issue"

Do the TikTok plant pot candle heaters work? We asked a thermodynamics expert​

With energy bills soaring, candle heaters are sweeping TikTok as a cheap way to heat your home. We found out if they work – and if they’re safe
GREG BARRADALE
18 Oct 2022
plant pot candle heater

The first law of thermodynamics has something to say about candle heaters. Image: TikTok

Energy bills are soaring so it’s only natural that heating your home on the cheap is tempting. It’s no surprise, then, that a new life hack has taken TikTok by storm: the terracotta candle heater.
It involves putting a tea light underneath an upturned terracotta pot (so the smallest bit of the pot is at the top) with the result supposedly warming your room.
The basic theory goes that it’s some kind of super-heater and will heat your room up. Ingenious, right?
But it might not be all it seems. Around 50 people were evacuated from a block of flats in Derby after a fire attributed to the hack. So it’s worth getting to the bottom of.
Here’s the science behind whether it works, and if it’s safe.

Support us with a subscription​

A subscription to Big Issue magazine means you can support some of the UK's most marginalised people and get a great read every week – for a special one-off price of £6 for the first month.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY

Do terracotta candle heaters work?​

If you’re wondering whether it’ll heat your room, the answer is: not any more than a candle would.

Let me introduce you to the laws of thermodynamics.
The first law says that energy cannot be created or destroyed within a system. Heat is a form of energy.
So if you’re putting a candle in a terracotta pot, lighting it and not doing anything else, you can’t generate more energy than was originally there. On a very basic level, the terracotta candle heater can’t “amplify the heat” because you’re not adding any energy.
“In layman’s terms, you cannot create energy. So, a ‘free lunch’ is not possible,” Erich A Muller, professor of thermodynamics at Imperial College London, told the Big Issue.
It’s only natural the “heater” will make the room hotter – but it’s insulation that will keep it warm, Muller added. “This combustion generates heat and will raise the temperature of the space,” he said.

“The terracotta is just forcing some of the warm air from the candles to stay in place and not dissipate so rapidly, but it is doing nothing additional other than the illusion of a little heater,” Muller added.
“If you really want to save energy, there are no silver bullets: double glaze the windows, draft-proof the doors, insulate the walls cavities and ceiling, and use efficient heaters – for example, ditching the electric heater for gas or, better yet, for heat pumps.”
You might also think that by heating up the terracotta pot, you’re allowing the heat to be released over a longer period of time than you would with the candle, and allowing the room to heat up properly.

Not so, Muller said: “There is no difference in the final result if you heat the space slowly or rapidly.”
So, pretty comprehensively, the terracotta heater method isn’t actually very effective as a heater.
And here’s what literal firefighters say about doing that…

Are plant pot candle heaters safe?​

No – fire services have strongly warned against using them.
Charlie Pugsley, the London Fire Brigade’s Assistant Commissioner, said his service sees devastating results when things go wrong for people trying to heat their homes on the cheap.
“Candles are one of the most common causes of fires in the home and they shouldn’t be used for anything other than their intended purpose. Although life hacks can be handy, so many of them have the potential to be dangerous and we would urge people not to follow videos online if they could put you or others in danger,” Pugsley said.
“We would always recommend people swap to using safer LED candles rather than flame ones, but if you are using them they should never be left unattended.”

Pugsley also recommended making sure you have working smoke alarms and getting clued up on what to do if there is a fire.
He added: “If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills, Citizens Advice can give you information on grants and benefits that can help you.”

Break the cycle of poverty for good​

Big Futures is calling on the Government to put in place a plan and policies to break this cycle of poverty for good. We are calling for long-term solutions to meet the biggest issues faced in the UK today – the housing crisis, low wages and the climate crisis. Dealing with these issues will help the UK to protect the environmental, social, economic and cultural wellbeing of future generations. So that young people and future generations have a fair shot at life. Join us and demand a better future.

It’s not just the risk of fire with plant pot candle heaters. A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson warned that: “We would always strongly discourage the use of any homemade heating device. This could present the risk of accidental fire within the home and the potential of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.”
So all the evidence and expert advice points to quite a simple conclusion. Don’t do it.

Attachments

• 1683943464744.png
    1683943464744.png
    68 bytes · Views: 0
Yes i used a water bottle when i lived in country in the south west where it would get extremely cold .. but its important to make sure you stand over the sink when you put in the boiling water and not over fill it and run over and burn you and also the hw bottles rubber may perish if it's aged or not of quality rubber, so to be wise stand over the sink when filling it up as boiling waters over your body is not a nice feeling... it's scorching hot and the wet clothes still burn you.. oooh . Experience is the greatest teacher.
Not sure I would like to see bubble wrap all over my windows!!! Like to look out and see the birds and trees!!!??

Well, I'm not going to cover my windows with bubble wrap!

Other solutions mentioned above:
Thicker bedding - I have invested in 95% duck down doonas, I don't use electric blankets and heating goes off when I go to bed
Heating only rooms I use - unfortunately, the heating/cooling is not divided into zones, so I have to heat the entire area
Curtains - are open during the day and closed at night
Ceiling fans - I don't have any
Draughts and cracks - fairly new house
Using shower to get warm - I never got why people do this, any warmth goes as soon as you step out of the shower
Turning off appliances - I turn off most of them

Additional:
- change all older type light globes to LED
- install solar panels - keeping in mind that the appliances in your house draw on the energy generated by the panels before sending the surplus into the grid.

I have set replaced the globes in the living rooms and bedrooms with smart globes controlled with Google. This is particularly useful if you have a ton of downlights in a room and don't need to have all of them on at the same time, as each downlight can be turned on/off individually. Also, when I go away, I have two downlights in the family room and the light in my son's former bedroom set to turn on at sunset and turn off at around 11 pm, the light in my bedroom comes on at 10:45 pm and goes off at midnight.
Well Trudi, no said you have to cover your windows with bubble wrap. It looks like you are sorted for Winter and have no problems. I do enjoy my shower, all seasons lol

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Trudi and MindyMac
I used bubble wrap on the inside of a window that faced my neighbour's backyard to insulate us from the noise they made with countless music filled barbecues - it really helped.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have never used heating in any house I have ever lived in. A hot water bottle and a blanket is all I have ever used. Cuddle up to a hot water bottle day and night and take one or two to bed, heat lasts for ages and keeps me warm. Never had heating when the kids were little either, they survived and so did I. No air conditioning in summer and no heating in winter. We survived...amazing! People use air conditioning and heating and then whinge when the electricity bill is sky high. If you can afford to do that, then great, enjoy the luxuries, but they are luxuries and one cannot live a champagne lifestyle on a beer income and then not expect to pay for it.
Where do you live?

I started saving on electricity bills from the day I took up an offer in the Tasmanian newspaper back in 2011, 1kw solar system for FREE. I change the Converter to a 2kw and paid the difference which was not that much. my very first bill after that was $17, from then on I was in credit that is the last bill that came out of my pocket. In 2014 put a 3kw system on, since then it was just building up money, today we are still $4000 in credit, last bill that came out of our credit was $34 the rest is covered by what our 5kw system puts back into the grid.
Well you must get a good feed in tariff, much better than we get, a lousy 5c per kw now. We still don’t get huge bills as where we live we feed in a lot on hot sunny days. We also have a battery which fully charges before any feed in to the grid, helping power our house for a few hours at night. We are usually in credit for our spring and summer bills. Winter we use our air conditioner for warmth for early morning starts and late night finishes at work so get a bill to pay.

Reactions: Ezzy