Sky's the limit: New aviation ombudsman promises to lift off travel troubles

For many over 60, travel is one of life's greatest pleasures. Whether it's jetting off to visit the grandkids or embarking on that long-awaited European river cruise, the freedom to explore is something they cherish.

However, nothing can dampen a trip's excitement quite like the headache of airline delays and cancellations.

But there's good news on the horizon for Aussie travellers who have had their travel plans thrown into disarray.

The federal government is setting its sights on enhancing passenger rights with the introduction of a landmark aviation ombudsman.

This new figurehead is part of a broader initiative outlined in the government's long-awaited aviation white paper, which aims to guide the industry's long-term policies.

Transport Minister Catherine King is set to unveil the government’s ombudsman, a move that could see travellers offered cash compensation for the inconvenience caused by disrupted flights.

201891487_346872090146056_6729981433256879926_n.jpg
The Australian government is appointing an aviation ombudsman to enhance passenger rights and offer compensation for flight delays and cancellations. Credit: Facebook / Catherine King

The proposed ombudsman will not only ensure that passengers are reimbursed for delays, but it will also usher in reforms for travellers with disabilities, ensuring a more inclusive flying experience.

This includes accommodating a wider range of wheelchairs and addressing the needs of those who have often felt overlooked by airlines.

Minister King has expressed a strong stance on the issue, acknowledging the frustration many Australians feel when left stranded by airlines.

‘Too many Australians have been left out to dry when flights are cancelled or disrupted, and it’s impossibly complex to get a refund or even contact a company representative,’ she stated.

‘Customers deserve to get their money back if they are owed it. Full stop.’

‘It is time to take strong action to protect consumer rights with an Aviation Industry Ombuds Scheme and Charter of Customer Rights,’ Minister King added.

The new scheme follows a government announcement two years ago about plans to review the sector.

The ombudsman will play a crucial role in resolving disputes between customers and airlines, and will require airlines to report the reasons for delays to the government, enhancing transparency within the industry.

Additionally, the ombudsman will clarify when airlines should offer a cash refund as opposed to a travel voucher and will define what constitutes an ‘unreasonable’ delay.

Currently, airlines are not obligated to provide cash compensation for delayed or cancelled flights, but this could change with the ombudsman's directive.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth has praised the move, particularly for its potential to improve travel experiences for disabled passengers, noting that many are not getting the necessary support during their flights.

‘People with disability continue to encounter inaccessible facilities and services at airports and face unhelpful practices and systems adopted by airlines,’ Ms Rishworth said.

‘They have a right to fair treatment and to compensation when their essential equipment is damaged or destroyed.’

The legislation for the scheme will be presented to Parliament next year, with plans for it to be implemented by 2026.

An interim ombudsman will be appointed to help draft customer rights in collaboration with industry leaders.

This initiative follows recent upheavals in the aviation industry, including the collapse of budget airline Bonza after less than 18 months and Rex entering voluntary administration.

Although Rex will continue operating its regional routes, it has ceased its Boeing 737 flights on the Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane route.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian government is introducing an aviation ombudsman to improve passenger rights and provide compensation for delayed and cancelled flights.
  • Alongside potential cash refunds for flight disruptions, reforms for travellers with disabilities are also planned to accommodate a wider range of wheelchairs.
  • Transport Minister Catherine King emphasised the need for stronger action to protect consumer rights and ensure fair treatment for customers.
  • An interim ombudsman will work with industry leaders to draft a Charter of Customer Rights, with legislation expected to go to parliament next year and the scheme operational by 2026.
Have you ever been left high and dry by an airline? What kind of compensation, if any, did you receive? Share your stories in the comments below, and let's discuss how these proposed changes could impact our future travels.

Sponsored
July last year, Cathay Pacific kept delaying my flight and eventually told passengers to go home (or for non residents to find accommodation). So I took a taxi home and after some hours, was told to return to the airport to catch my flight.

Stuffed up my remaining flights (flying to Canada from Perth). No compensation. The delays made it so frustrating because I wanted to be with my sister asap since she’d told me our mum had just died.

I’ve had other delays with other airlines over the years but no cancellations.

flying into Brisbane a year before covid my suitcase was damaged. Both the wheels were broken off and l had to carry it. I went to the airlines lost property department to ask who l saw about the damage and was told that the damage was not covered by them and l would have to buy a new suitcase at my own expense

Last February I arrived at Brisbane airport for a direct flight to Perth at 7am.
My flight had been cancelled with no explanation . I was offered another flight at 1pm with a four hour stopover in Sydney. I refused that and was then told I could have a direct flight at 4pm which eventually left at 7.30 pm. On arrival it took them over an hour to locate my luggage.
During this time I was not even given so much as a voucher for a cup of coffee or an explanation as to why my flight was cancelled in the first place
About time something was done about these cowboys in the airline business.

Australia's airline system has been bad since way back in late 1950s onwards with Ansett and TAA. NOw its Qantas and Virgin, and a bit of Jetstar, Other airlines have come and gone, and Australia should do the same as Airlines in Europe/UK and USA cover peoples out of pocket expednsives. Offer meals and drinks while your flight is delayed etc. I worked for Qantas at Heathrow back in late 1970s and we always covdered passengers with vouchers for food and drink and hotels if the flight was delayed overnight. That was when Qantas was a very good airline. Sad state of affairs now adays.