Sixty-year-old grandmother fights for survival after brutal stabbing

Content Warning: This article mentions violence against a senior, which may be distressing for some readers. Discretion is advised.

Domestic violence impacts all ages, including seniors. They can be trapped in abusive situations at home, and as they rely more on caregivers, vulnerability to exploitation rises.

In a harrowing incident that has left a community shaken, a Perth grandmother is fighting for her life after a domestic violence attack that is almost too distressing to comprehend.

The event has illuminated the hidden dangers lurking behind closed doors, even in seemingly peaceful neighbourhoods.

On a quiet street in Gooseberry Hill, Perth's eastern suburbs, the tranquillity was shattered by screams that prompted neighbours to rush to the aid of 60-year-old Paulette Mountford.

The grandmother, known for her volunteer work with the church and her efforts to support victims of domestic violence, was found critically injured in her garden after being allegedly stabbed by her partner three times.

unnamed (6).png
Paulette Mountford, aged 60, reportedly suffered multiple wounds during the suspected case of domestic violence. Credit: 9News Perth/Facebook

The neighbours' quick response to applying pressure to her wounds undoubtedly played a crucial role in her survival until paramedics arrived.

Mountford was transported to Royal Perth Hospital, where she underwent emergency surgery to treat multiple stab wounds.

The suspect, 72-year-old Christopher John Sullivan, reportedly barricaded himself in the couple's home following the alleged attack.

The tactical response officers' negotiation skills took him out before he was taken into custody.

Sullivan has since faced court, charged with attempted murder, and indicated an intention to plead guilty to the magistrate, although no official plea was entered.

The proceedings were temporarily halted as the accused received legal guidance. When it recommenced, Sullivan was represented by a duty lawyer.

He chose not to seek bail and was detained in custody. His next court appearance is scheduled for June 26.

Mountford's family is now clinging to hope, wishing for her recovery and a return to the peaceful life she once knew.

‘We are devastated and utterly heartbroken that our dear mother has endured such a horrifying ordeal,’ Mountford’s daughter said.

‘All we want is for our mother to overcome her injuries.’

You can watch 9News Perth's coverage below:

Credit: 9News Perth/Facebook

In a tranquil neighbourhood north of Brisbane, an eerily similar case of elder violence occurred.

After a troubling event at a residence in Burpengary East, a gardener was charged with severe offences, and an elderly couple sustained critical head injuries. You can read about how the police's investigations unfolded here.
Key Takeaways

• A grandmother named Paulette Mountford is in critical condition after being allegedly attacked by her partner with a stabbing weapon in Perth's east.
  • The incident is being treated as a domestic violence case, with the grandmother found injured in the garden before being taken to Royal Perth Hospital for emergency surgery.
  • The alleged attacker, Christopher John Sullivan, was arrested after barricading himself inside their home and is charged with attempted murder.
  • Paulette Mountford is known for her volunteer work, supporting victims of domestic violence, and her family is now hoping for her recovery. Sullivan did not apply for bail and is back in court on 26 June.
If you or someone you know has encountered a similar situation or requires assistance, please don't hesitate to contact local support services or domestic abuse lifeline.

The Seniors Discount Club sends heartfelt wishes for Paulette Mountford's swift recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Over forty years ago I was working in a social club in the UK and one of the cleaners, an elderly lady, was stabbed by her long time husband who was late 60s. She survived and went to visit him in prison. He said “if they let me out, I will do it again”. He never gave her a reason why.

So when a woman stabs or shoots a male partner (or ex partner) to death, it gets swept under the carpet.

This incident, which occurred on Tuesday 28 May 2024, garnered a whopping 15 seconds on Perth free-to-air television news.

A woman has been charged over the alleged domestic violence murder of a man stabbed to death at Matraville in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Residents of Murrabin Avenue were on Tuesday night confronted by the 31-year-old woman running up and down the dead-end street after the alleged attack on the 37-year-old man, who died at the scene despite attempts from paramedics to save him.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...atraville-woman-arrested-20240528-p5jhga.html

Meanwhile, Mark Bombara, a 63 year old male from Perth, shoots dead his ex partner's friend and her daughter on Friday 24 May 2024. The incident has been the centre of attention in the media over the past two weeks, racking up countless hours of coverage.

The media seems to have the mindset that violence perpetrated by males on female victims is to be viewed in the worst possible light, whereas the reverse situation is deemed unimportant and not worthy of news coverage and consequently dismissed.

The community has been brainwashed into thinking that all men are evil and women cannot do any wrong. WHAT A LOAD OF UTTER BULLSHIT!!

So when a woman stabs or shoots a male partner (or ex partner) to death, it gets swept under the carpet.

This incident, which occurred on Tuesday 28 May 2024, garnered a whopping 15 seconds on Perth free-to-air television news.

A woman has been charged over the alleged domestic violence murder of a man stabbed to death at Matraville in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

Residents of Murrabin Avenue were on Tuesday night confronted by the 31-year-old woman running up and down the dead-end street after the alleged attack on the 37-year-old man, who died at the scene despite attempts from paramedics to save him.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...atraville-woman-arrested-20240528-p5jhga.html

Meanwhile, Mark Bombara, a 63 year old male from Perth, shoots dead his ex partner's friend and her daughter on Friday 24 May 2024. The incident has been the centre of attention in the media over the past two weeks, racking up countless hours of coverage.

The media seems to have the mindset that violence perpetrated by males on female victims is to be viewed in the worst possible light, whereas the reverse situation is deemed unimportant and not worthy of news coverage and consequently dismissed.

The community has been brainwashed into thinking that all men are evil and women cannot do any wrong. WHAT A LOAD OF UTTER BULLSHIT!!
So very, very true. You know @Veggiepatch, that we have first hand knowledge how violence against men is often dismissed or thought to be a lesser crime.

All domestic violence against all people is NEVER to be disregarded.

There should not be gender discrimination when it concerns domestic violence! Sadly, there is.

So very, very true. You know @Veggiepatch, that we have first hand knowledge how violence against men is often dismissed or thought to be a lesser crime.

All domestic violence against all people is NEVER to be disregarded.

There should not be gender discrimination when it concerns domestic violence! Sadly, there is.

Well I totally agree there have been some shocking cases of women conniving to get their partners killed or actually poisoning them as we’ve seen with the ‘mushroom murders’ which definitely wasn’t swept under the carpet even though by good luck the ex partner didn’t attend the lunch he would also likely be dead if he had.
However there’s a difference between domestic violence and planned murder - and that is more often than not men against women mainly because in most cases women are not as strong as men or as heavy - that is just a biological fact!
I had heard of the case you mentioned but don’t know the circumstances- but I’ll tell you this for nothing - if a man heavier and stronger than me was coming at me I would also grab a knife and defend myself with it.
I’m sure there are cases where women have attacked men in a DV situation but you have to admit they are rare - where the opposite it horribly common - you’ll probably disagree with me but I don’t care!

Well I totally agree there have been some shocking cases of women conniving to get their partners killed or actually poisoning them as we’ve seen with the ‘mushroom murders’ which definitely wasn’t swept under the carpet even though by good luck the ex partner didn’t attend the lunch he would also likely be dead if he had.
However there’s a difference between domestic violence and planned murder - and that is more often than not men against women mainly because in most cases women are not as strong as men or as heavy - that is just a biological fact!
I had heard of the case you mentioned but don’t know the circumstances- but I’ll tell you this for nothing - if a man heavier and stronger than me was coming at me I would also grab a knife and defend myself with it.
I’m sure there are cases where women have attacked men in a DV situation but you have to admit they are rare - where the opposite it horribly common - you’ll probably disagree with me but I don’t care!
How about spontaneous domestic violence perpetrated by a woman against a man by being literally stabbed in the back with a roasting fork or with knives on other occasions? The man is taken completely unaware. That man is my youngest son. He stays because his son’s life would be in jeopardy. It’s a complicated situation but it appears you only look at things at face value. People like you tend to judge when you don’t know the whole story. Life isn’t just black and white.
And I don’t care about your opinion either.

How about spontaneous domestic violence perpetrated by a woman against a man by being literally stabbed in the back with a roasting fork or with knives on other occasions? The man is taken completely unaware. That man is my youngest son. He stays because his son’s life would be in jeopardy. It’s a complicated situation but it appears you only look at things at face value. People like you tend to judge when you don’t know the whole story. Life isn’t just black and white.
And I don’t care about your opinion either.
That’s a terrible situation for your son to have to live with - I’m very sad to hear it and I hope it can be resolved - but it doesn’t change the facts that most DV is perpetrated by men on women and that is what this original article was about-
“People like me”? You don’t know anything about me and now who’s judging???

Reactions: Knell and Tervueren
That’s a terrible situation for your son to have to live with - I’m very sad to hear it and I hope it can be resolved - but it doesn’t change the facts that most DV is perpetrated by men on women and that is what this original article was about-
Judgement is an opinion. My point is that the domestic violence issue is terribly one-sided. Because there are more instances of DV against women, the media concentrates only on those issues so the public aren’t made aware of the whole story. The media is very good at their art of persuasion.

My perspective about the law, is that the male victim isn’t taken seriously until he’s dead. In many cases, the law is a farce. Life isn’t fiction.

I agree that generally speaking, most men are stronger than most women. But unless trained in self protection, it’s difficult to fend off someone who attacks from the back with no warning.

In no way do I condone domestic violence (physical and/or psychological), on any person regardless of gender and age.

No-one disputes that women can and are responsible for murder/violence and all associated illegal activities. However, it cannot be disputed that women have had to fight for any rights historically. I fail to see how a news item, in this instance, nor indeed any comments amount to discrimination. I fail to understand the attack on people commenting on the article as presented here, apart from the fact that we do not know the facts in this situation as it has not gone before the court. If you want your concerns highlighted, perhaps speaking with the administrators of SDC to request the same might be more productive - we do not control the articles/news. If the police are not acting on the stabbing you refer to, I suggest you continuing your discussions with them would be more effective - it is a matter of law. Just because you feel justice isn’t forthcoming in your son’s case, it does not follow that this matter should be downgraded - it is just illogical to make that point. Surely there are more effective means of assisting in your son’s case - we cannot provide the actions required, but we surely sympathise. Again, you draw an unreasonable bow to suggest people are so ill-informed that they do not realise women commit crimes or suffer mental illness. The above-mentioned stabbing death of a man by an ex-partner was in fact on the news on all channels at the time.

In no way do I condone domestic violence (physical and/or psychological), on any person regardless of gender and age.” ….. the point is, not many do and no-one on here has!!!

Reactions: DrivingGirl
At least we can ag

No-one disputes that women can and are responsible for murder/violence and all associated illegal activities. However, it cannot be disputed that women have had to fight for any rights historically. I fail to see how a news item, in this instance, nor indeed any comments amount to discrimination. I fail to understand the attack on people commenting on the article as presented here, apart from the fact that we do not know the facts in this situation as it has not gone before the court. If you want your concerns highlighted, perhaps speaking with the administrators of SDC to request the same might be more productive - we do not control the articles/news. If the police are not acting on the stabbing you refer to, I suggest you continuing your discussions with them would be more effective - it is a matter of law. Just because you feel justice isn’t forthcoming in your son’s case, it does not follow that this matter should be downgraded - it is just illogical to make that point. Surely there are more effective means of assisting in your son’s case - we cannot provide the actions required, but we surely sympathise. Again, you draw an unreasonable bow to suggest people are so ill-informed that they do not realise women commit crimes or suffer mental illness. The above-mentioned stabbing death of a man by an ex-partner was in fact on the news on all channels at the time.

In no way do I condone domestic violence (physical and/or psychological), on any person regardless of gender and age.” ….. the point is, not many do and no-one on here has!!!
I’ll repeat, “My point is that the domestic violence issue is terribly one-sided.“ I do not expect others to understand how I feel. My comment is simply stating what I know and I believe.

I never suggested that anyone in SDC condones domestic violence. I only speak for myself.

I’ll repeat, “My point is that the domestic violence issue is terribly one-sided.“ I do not expect others to understand how I feel. My comment is simply stating what I know and I believe.

I never suggested that anyone in SDC condones domestic violence. I only speak for myself.
I know and I believe - IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN! (one sided)
Let us not take from Peta to pay Paul...in THIS case, the news is about Paulette Mountford who has suffered injury.

I know and I believe - IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN! (one sided)
Let us not take from Peta to pay Paul...in THIS case, the news is about Paulette Mountford who has suffered injury.
Let’s drop it. You don’t get what I’m saying and it really doesn’t matter.

Has anyone on SDC been subject to physical domestic violence? I have and the outcome was totally unexpected.

In early December 2010, I was struck in the forehead by a now ex partner with a solid wooden doll's house, resulting in a substantial laceration on the hairline. To prevent further injury, I restrained the woman in question by applying a full nelson. After hearing much commotion, a neighbour rang the police.

Upon arrival, I had a short discussion with police who then advised me to take a walk to "settle down" while bleeding profusely while wearing a light coloured t shirt. Such a good look for nearby residents! The idiot woman presented at Bundaberg Base Hospital with a "suspected" broken shoulder only to be discharged without evidence of ANY injury whatsoever!

Next day, I was requested to report to Bundaberg Police for a "five minute interview" which lasted for 55 minutes, subsequently arrested and charged with domestic violence. Then I spent the next six days in custody before a court hearing on the following Monday where I was found guilty, convicted and sentenced to 33 days in Maryborough Correctional Centre. All the while, the REAL perpetrator was not further questioned and got of scott free for causing grievous bodily harm. What a joke!

This was not an isolated incident. The "woman" has also smashed the back window of my car, destroyed two laptops, one by pouring coffee over the keyboard and the other by slamming it into a wooden floor, amongst numerous other less serious acts of destruction of personal property. On most of these occasions, police attended WITHOUT arrest or charges being laid against the other party, even with irrefutable evidence and admission of guilt!

I hope things have improved over the last 13 years! Having the attending female police and the female police prosecution having a distinct hatred for males, you have no chance of a fair hearing being a male in a relationship.

I await the replies of "that's nothing".

Has anyone on SDC been subject to physical domestic violence? I have and the outcome was totally unexpected.

In early December 2010, I was struck in the forehead by a now ex partner with a solid wooden doll's house, resulting in a substantial laceration on the hairline. To prevent further injury, I restrained the woman in question by applying a full nelson. After hearing much commotion, a neighbour rang the police.

Upon arrival, I had a short discussion with police who then advised me to take a walk to "settle down" while bleeding profusely while wearing a light coloured t shirt. Such a good look for nearby residents! The idiot woman presented at Bundaberg Base Hospital with a "suspected" broken shoulder only to be discharged without evidence of ANY injury whatsoever!

Next day, I was requested to report to Bundaberg Police for a "five minute interview" which lasted for 55 minutes, subsequently arrested and charged with domestic violence. Then I spent the next six days in custody before a court hearing on the following Monday where I was found guilty, convicted and sentenced to 33 days in Maryborough Correctional Centre. All the while, the REAL perpetrator was not further questioned and got of scott free for causing grievous bodily harm. What a joke!

This was not an isolated incident. The "woman" has also smashed the back window of my car, destroyed two laptops, one by pouring coffee over the keyboard and the other by slamming it into a wooden floor, amongst numerous other less serious acts of destruction of personal property. On most of these occasions, police attended WITHOUT arrest or charges being laid against the other party, even with irrefutable evidence and admission of guilt!

I hope things have improved over the last 13 years! Having the attending female police and the female police prosecution having a distinct hatred for males, you have no chance of a fair hearing being a male in a relationship.

I await the replies of "that's nothing".
Goes to show yet another instance of bias against males in domestic violence cases. As I’ve said, no gender equality when it comes to DV. Sadly, things have not improved for men over the years. There’s always help for women but where do men go? Especially a man who’s trying to protect his child/children as well?