Singapore Airlines apologises to injured Australian couple after flight turbulence

Travelling by air is often seen as a safe and efficient way to traverse the globe, especially for our seasoned travellers who have seen much of the world.

However, the skies can sometimes be unpredictable, and the recent ordeal faced by an Australian couple is a stark reminder of the potential perils of air travel.

The incident, which occurred on Tuesday, 21 May, in Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 from London to Singapore, left 20 people in intensive care, according to hospital officials.

The plane experienced a sudden drop 10 hours into the journey, causing injuries to passengers and crew members alike.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 9.22.32 AM.png
Singapore Airlines apologised to an Australian couple after flight turbulence. Credit: ABC News Australia / YouTube

Among the injured, 22 patients suffered spinal cord injuries and six sustained brain and skull injuries. One passenger died of a suspected heart attack.

The oldest patient was 83 years old, and the youngest was a two-year-old child who suffered a concussion.

Adelaide man Keith Davis, who was among the 40 passengers and crew still receiving treatment in Bangkok, expressed his frustration at the lack of direct communication from the airline.

Davis mentioned that it could take several weeks before his wife Kerry, who sustained a spinal injury after being thrown into luggage compartments and landing in the aisle, is able to travel back home.

‘She fell flat straight into the aisle and from that moment, she didn't move,’ he said.

‘That's where she remained for the rest of the flight. It was really horrifying.’

Hospital staff at Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital intervened when Davis tried to speak with journalists about the lack of direct communication from airline representatives with him.

He said he ‘had no information, we’ve been left in limbo’ his attempts to speak to the media were quickly shut down by hospital staff.

The Director of Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital, Adinun Kittiratanapaibool, later apologised as they were only seeking to protect the privacy of patients.

‘The number of patients in ICU remain the same,’ Adinun Kittiratanapaibool said, referring to the hospital’s intensive care unit. ‘The meaning of those in ICU are those that need close attention.’

In response to the situation, Singapore Airlines CEO Goh Choon Phong personally visited the injured in Bangkok.

‘I have given [patients] my personal assurance that we will take care of them during this difficult time,’ he said.

The airline issued an apology to the Australian couple and arranged for family members to join them in Bangkok, where they were receiving medical care.

‘Singapore Airlines apologises to Mr Keith Davis and his wife, and is providing them with the necessary support and assistance they need during this difficult time,’ the airline said.

You can watch Keith Davis’ interview with ABC below:

Credit: ABC News Australia / YouTube

Key Takeaways
  • Singapore Airlines has issued an apology to an Australian couple injured during severe turbulence and is assisting with support and arrangements for family travel.
  • The airline's CEO, Goh Choon Phong, visited the injured passengers in Bangkok personally, assuring them of the airline's care during this difficult period.
  • Twenty people who were aboard the flight remain in intensive care, with Adelaide man Keith Davis and several others still receiving treatment in Bangkok hospitals.
  • Despite initial communication issues, the airline has responded with apologies and support as families and the injured navigate the aftermath of the turbulence incident, which caused multiple injuries and one fatality.
We extend our thoughts to the Davis couple and all those affected by this incident.

Sponsored
IT's a natural occurring phenomenon, I don't think anyone can blame the airline, nobody wants to be strapped in on a long flight, it happens, if you are worried just keep your seatbelt on and buckled down tight.
You are so correct with your comment. Why does everyone these days want to blame others. It was not Singapore Airlines fault.It was an out of their control. They did not purposely fly into a hole. Climate zealots will be having nightmares about flying now.

Totally agree, I always leave my seatbelt on, better safe than sorry.
These sort of things are beyond the control of the airline and just serves as a warning to passengers to take precautions to protect themselves.
I don't understand what the problem is with leaving your seatbelt on, it's only a lap band, not like a car seat belt.

Totally agree, I always leave my seatbelt on, better safe than sorry.
These sort of things are beyond the control of the airline and just serves as a warning to passengers to take precautions to protect themselves.
I don't understand what the problem is with leaving your seatbelt on, it's only a lap band, not like a car seat belt.
Good reply.

While I feel for those injured I hardly think the turbulence was the airline’s fault they do everything they can to avoid it and do tell passengers to keep their seatbelts firmly fastened when seated. I’m sure they will step up and assist staff and those stranded and hospitalised but to sue them or blame them is ridiculous. These are just my thoughts

While I feel for those injured I hardly think the turbulence was the airline’s fault they do everything they can to avoid it and do tell passengers to keep their seatbelts firmly fastened when seated. I’m sure they will step up and assist staff and those stranded and hospitalised but to sue them or blame them is ridiculous. These are just my thoughts
There will be some who will want to sue, I'm sure.
Nobody wants to take the blame for anything these days, everything is somebody else's fault
Nobody was at fault here, maybe they should try to sue
Mother Nature.

Why now is there a blame game for everything that happens.
If it hadn’t been for the expertise of the two Pilots, there could have been a completely different outcome.
The CEO of Singapore airlines offered apology, they are doing everything to help all those that were injured, what else can they do.
This is probably difficult for many to understand, but it was Turbulence that caused the plane to drop, one could say, act of god, NOT human intervention.
The saying, Ambulance Chasers, are in full force here already…… compensation to the amount of 1/2 a million.

We all take our lives in our hands when we travel in any transport, this is the times of the world we live in.
It was what they call an Act Of God.

A movie, The man who sued God, Billy Connelly , came out many years back and I’m sure many of our generation would have heard of it.
An actual comedy that was Amusing and Fictional, however me thinks, yep this is what could happen in the future as this world gets more stupid and more people see $$$$$$$$$$

The best suggestion from this Singapore ?????????? accident, keep your seatbelt on, loosen it to be comfortable, undo to go to the loo, click back on when returning to your seat.

Why now is there a blame game for everything that happens.
If it hadn’t been for the expertise of the two Pilots, there could have been a completely different outcome.
The CEO of Singapore airlines offered apology, they are doing everything to help all those that were injured, what else can they do.
This is probably difficult for many to understand, but it was Turbulence that caused the plane to drop, one could say, act of god, NOT human intervention.
The saying, Ambulance Chasers, are in full force here already…… compensation to the amount of 1/2 a million.

We all take our lives in our hands when we travel in any transport, this is the times of the world we live in.
It was what they call an Act Of God.

A movie, The man who sued God, Billy Connelly , came out many years back and I’m sure many of our generation would have heard of it.
An actual comedy that was Amusing and Fictional, however me thinks, yep this is what could happen in the future as this world gets more stupid and more people see $$$$$$$$$$

The best suggestion from this Singapore ?????????? accident, keep your seatbelt on, loosen it to be comfortable, undo to go to the loo, click back on when returning to your seat.
Agree.

It is always very bumpy flying over the Andaman Sea, and as Clear air turbulence does not show on radar unfortunately these things happen. For those who did not believe it was necessary to keep your seatbelt you, you now know why!!! also it is not necessary to demand a medevac flight, just contact your travel insurer and it will be done. The hospital will assist your with phoning your insurer.

It's interesting that all these comments are in support of the airline and for keeping the seat belt on at all times when seated. That simple piece of advice may have saved many injuries and I hope it will be taken into account for anybody that chooses to take action against the airline.
My sympathies lay with the cabin crew for whom such events are an occupational hazard. I'm sure they will be well looked after by SIA.

Last edited:
You can’t blame the airline for unexpected turbulence. When flying the airline always recommends you keep your seatbelt fastened when seated, even when the seatbelt sign is off.
Turbulence doesn't happen "out of the blue". It is the result of jet streams and other phenomena. It easily detected in most cases and easily avoided.

I feel that the pilots of Singapore Airlines flight SQ321are to blame here for not taking heed of any warning the aircraft's instrumentation may have afforded.

I am not a pilot so correct me if I'm wrong. But my knowledge of meteorology is a different thing.

• Sad
Reactions: 52-KID
Turbulence doesn't happen "out of the blue". It is the result of jet streams and other phenomena. It easily detected in most cases and easily avoided.

I feel that the pilots of Singapore Airlines flight SQ321are to blame here for not taking heed of any warning the aircraft's instrumentation may have afforded.

I am not a pilot so correct me if I'm wrong. But my knowledge of meteorology is a different thing.
I am certain that the Pilots would have avoided if they knew about it. I don't think any pilot would fly into trouble if they were aware of it. Do you ?

I agree completely with the first comment. All flights I've been on say to keep your belt on whilst seated in case of turbulence. This is an issue that relies on passengers to do the best thing. If anything, maybe the airline could do free flights home for the injured? It's really not the airlines fault.

The operative words here are "in most cases". In most cases, pilots do warn people to make sure their seat belt is on, but sometimes the forces of nature are quite unpredictable.
In any case, all seated people should have had their seat belt on.

The operative words here are "in most cases". In most cases, pilots do warn people to make sure their seat belt is on, but sometimes the forces of nature are quite unpredictable.
In any case, all seated people should have had their seat belt on.
Exactly, and it has already been explained that this was not an event that could be foreseen
The pilots were also injured, I'm sure they would have avoided it if they could have.