Silence of the lambs… These sheep have been walking in circles for 12 days - why?

A recent video of a flock of sheep walking in circles has been doing the rounds on social media, and people can't seem to figure out why the animals are behaving this way.

The footage, which was captured on a farm in China's Inner Mongolia region, shows dozens of the animals marching around and around in what appears to be a never-ending loop.

Although the sheep had been moving in a nearly perfect circle since Nov. 4, it's unclear whether they stopped to eat or drink or whether they were still circling two weeks later.

The owner of the farm where the sheep are kept, Ms Miao, claimed that the strange behaviour began with just a few animals before the rest of the flock joined in. Although there are 34 sheep pens at her farm, only those in the particular pen were affected.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 7.33.53 AM.png
For two weeks, a flock of sheep seemed to be doing nothing but running in circles. Credit: Pexels/Trinity Kubassek.

Some have speculated that bacteria could be responsible for causing what has been dubbed 'circling disease'.

The illness - called Listeriosis - can be transmitted through contaminated food or soil and causes symptoms including depression, loss of appetite and partial paralysis, all of which could explain why the animals appear to be dazed as they follow one another around endlessly.

However, Listeriosis usually kills infected animals within 48 hours, so this doesn't explain how these sheep have managed to keep going for 12 days straight!

So, if bacteria isn't to blame, what is causing the strange circling behaviour?

Some experts believe that the sheep may be experiencing 'frustration' due to being confined in a small space for too long.

'It looks like the sheep are in the pen for long periods, and this might lead to stereotypic behaviour, with the repeated circling due to frustration about being in the pen and limited,' said Matt Bell, a professor at Hartpury University in England.

Another possibility is that the animals are simply following the lead of the rest of the flock, as is common behaviour for sheep.

Sheep, according to the Merck Veterinary Manual, are herd animals, and their social behaviour is governed by a phenomenon called 'flock mentality,' which allows the animals to avoid danger as a group and keeps individuals safe from predators.

But we can't help but wonder: what kind of 'predator' were they trying to avoid in this particular situation? Hmm…
Key Takeaways

• Hundreds of sheep in China have been captured walking around in a continuous circle for over 12 days.
  • The bizarre behaviour has reportedly been going on for almost two weeks straight.
  • The strange sight has left experts scratching their heads, with one possible reason for the animals' movements potentially being due to Listeriosis or Circling Disease. Others said they were trying to 'avoid' a predator.
We may never know for sure what made these poor sheep start circling in the first place, but we hope they're now free to roam and graze to their heart's content!

Members, what do you think was the reason for the sheep's behaviour? If you're up for some more 'interesting' animal behaviours, check out this video below:

Credit: Mind Boggler.

Sponsored
Recently a lady came to the farm to deliver stuff. She parked at the machinery shed to offload the stuff. I went over to help, but the sheep were making a circle around the shed and kept going. We just watched and laughed. One sheep following the others and so on. It took some time to be able to disrupt their circuit and help the lady offload the rest. Once disturbed, the sheep went on a circuit of the paddock then eventually went back to normal behaviour.

Reactions: Ricci
Is there actual proof that it went on for 12 days ?
If it's true then it is very strange , I feel it's impossible for any animal to continue walking in a circle for 2 weeks without sleeping or eating.
Once one or two stop to maybe eat then the rest would stop and it would not be continual.

Now this one does interest me. I was born on a large Sheep Station in Charleville Qld. I grew up on the land and educated in Animal Husbandry, read many books on sheep breeding and caring for them. i have studied Hungerfords Veteranary care and solutions. It was taken as normal activity for them to circle.
Seeing sheep constantly travelling in a circle. There is always a reason IN MY MIND. so what is it?

I have witnessed a sheep dog looking through the rails of sheepyards that seems to start the circular movement when penned. Now comes the comment ""Following others like sheep" Most of us have heard that comment. The sheep dog looking through rails would sometimes start the movement and the rest would follow on. Now watch them and you should notice that they shoulder on to each other more or less trying to get closer to the centre of the group. THIS IS NATURAL PROTECTION ACTIVITY. Even though the dog is gone the shep continue to the follow the next sheep's action but they don't know why. It is safer from danger this way. Also, may stem from earlier ancestors circling from a wolf or a group of wolves.
NOW next we let them out and they will do repetitive actions like jumping a mysterious pool or a snake that is never there and THEY RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE WHEN IN THE OPEN AREAS.
Therefore, nothing is wrong, bewildering ? YES but is seems to be the standard ways of the breed.
Watch Birds flying in the most strangest formations and then look UP you may see a hawk high up attempting to make a feast of one of them . To me, this the way of many animals protecting themselves ... Watch Flamingoes circling in lakes in africa when threatened by aggresive predators. ALL THE SAME THING ...Protection in Number ... Go swimming in the ocean away from land and what do you do IF a shark was to appear near the group of swimmers? You try to get in the middle of the group and the next will try the same and BINGO the action is started ... a circular motion for protection. BTW the shark was just a wayward porpoise .. Dont want anyone having nightmares.. lol

Is there actual proof that it went on for 12 days ?
If it's true then it is very strange , I feel it's impossible for any animal to continue walking in a circle for 2 weeks without sleeping or eating.
Once one or two stop to maybe eat then the rest would stop and it would not be continual.
@SUZANNE
My sentiments exactly, they have to drink water at a maximum of 3 days so 2 weeks? Seems a total exaggeration. Also constant panic circularing would cause exhaustion within hours.

Recently a lady came to the farm to deliver stuff. She parked at the machinery shed to offload the stuff. I went over to help, but the sheep were making a circle around the shed and kept going. We just watched and laughed. One sheep following the others and so on. It took some time to be able to disrupt their circuit and help the lady offload the rest. Once disturbed, the sheep went on a circuit of the paddock then eventually went back to normal behaviour.
The adrenline wore off ... and I bet most of them headed for water earlier than normal.

Now this one does interest me. I was born on a large Sheep Station in Charleville Qld. I grew up on the land and educated in Animal Husbandry, read many books on sheep breeding and caring for them. i have studied Hungerfords Veteranary care and solutions. It was taken as normal activity for them to circle.
Seeing sheep constantly travelling in a circle. There is always a reason IN MY MIND. so what is it?

I have witnessed a sheep dog looking through the rails of sheepyards that seems to start the circular movement when penned. Now comes the comment ""Following others like sheep" Most of us have heard that comment. The sheep dog looking through rails would sometimes start the movement and the rest would follow on. Now watch them and you should notice that they shoulder on to each other more or less trying to get closer to the centre of the group. THIS IS NATURAL PROTECTION ACTIVITY. Even though the dog is gone the shep continue to the follow the next sheep's action but they don't know why. It is safer from danger this way. Also, may stem from earlier ancestors circling from a wolf or a group of wolves.
NOW next we let them out and they will do repetitive actions like jumping a mysterious pool or a snake that is never there and THEY RUN IN A STRAIGHT LINE WHEN IN THE OPEN AREAS.
Therefore, nothing is wrong, bewildering ? YES but is seems to be the standard ways of the breed.
Watch Birds flying in the most strangest formations and then look UP you may see a hawk high up attempting to make a feast of one of them . To me, this the way of many animals protecting themselves ... Watch Flamingoes circling in lakes in africa when threatened by aggresive predators. ALL THE SAME THING ...Protection in Number ... Go swimming in the ocean away from land and what do you do IF a shark was to appear near the group of swimmers? You try to get in the middle of the group and the next will try the same and BINGO the action is started ... a circular motion for protection. BTW the shark was just a wayward porpoise .. Dont want anI

I believe this theory but do you believe that they could continue this for 12 days straight !

yone having nightmares.. lol

I believe this theory but do you believe that they could continue this for 12 days straight !
NO .. I don't believe that they circled for 12 days without water or food .. they would collapsed one by one in just wours from exhaustion and they would plonk down and submit to anything that caused the panic circle in the first place... Sensationalism attracts readers like this story has. Did the cow jump over the moon? NO but how many people have read it, said it and some may believe it. Humans are weirder than sheep at times