Significant price drop for this fruit is expected by consumers, budget pressures to alleviate

As the Australian table grape season approaches, there's a silver lining on the horizon for consumers feeling the pinch at the checkout.

With the local season set to begin in November, prices for these juicy morsels are expected to take a significant tumble, potentially by as much as $10 per kilogram.

This anticipated price drop is a breath of fresh air for grape lovers and budget-conscious shoppers alike, who have recently faced steep prices for predominantly US-grown grapes, ranging from $9 to $22 per kilogram at major supermarkets.

Australia, known for its luscious table grapes, is a net fruit exporter, with over 132,000 tonnes shipped overseas in the 2022-2023 season.

Traditionally, China has been the largest market for Australian grapes, but there's been a significant shift.

Exports to China have plummeted by 29 per cent as the country ramps up its grape production, moving towards becoming a net exporter itself.

1727232757904.png
Australia's table grape exports to China have been reduced by 29 per cent, with declines also seen in Vietnam and Thailand. Credit: Shutterstock

This trend is expected to affect Australia; other major grape-exporting nations, like Chile and Peru, have also seen declines in their exports to China.

The decrease in exports to China and drops to other markets like Vietnam and Thailand has had a ripple effect.

However, there's a silver lining as new doors open to other markets.

Indonesia, South Korea, and Japan have emerged as promising destinations for Australian table grapes, thanks partly to new market access and the removal of export restrictions.

Japan, for instance, now has access to 130 varieties of Australia's table grapes, which is expected to boost demand and exports to the region.

Back on home soil, the domestic demand for table grapes has grown by about 11 per cent in the past year, with dollar sales up by approximately 10 per cent.

‘We've definitely seen a lot of inflationary impacts all over in the fruit and fresh produce sector, and we definitely see a lot of seasonality when it comes to table grape prices,’ Rabobank horticultural analyst Pia Piggott said.

‘Right now, they're out of season, so we're importing table grapes — and they're a lot more expensive.’

This increase in local appetite for grapes is timely, as the out-of-season imports come with a hefty price tag due to the costs associated with international shipping and the premium placed on off-season produce.

The Australian Table Grape Association's chief executive, Jeff Scott, has indicated that consumers should see a reduction in price once the local season starts.

‘When Australian domestic grapes come onto the market, the price drops maybe $10 a kilo,’ he said.

Mr Scott stated that prices should ideally remain stable throughout the year to ensure that growers receive a fair return and help them stay in the industry.

‘There's a lot of pressure about bringing down cost-of-living prices, but unfortunately, from the farmers' point of view, their input costs, like fuel and fertiliser, are going up,’ he added.

This price drop is good news not only for consumers but also for growers who have been under pressure from rising input costs such as fuel and fertiliser.

A consistent year-round price would be ideal, ensuring that growers receive a fair return and can sustain their operations in the industry.

Growers like Tony Lombardo, who farms in Menindee, far west New South Wales, are optimistic about the upcoming season.

‘We have had issues with [Queensland] fruit fly, a spider problem, and with the rain, we had issues with downy mildew,’ he said.

‘This year, the crop is looking like it is going back to normal after it was light last year.’
Key Takeaways
  • Australia's table grape exports to China have dropped by 29 per cent, with declines also to Vietnam and Thailand.
  • Despite export challenges, the industry has seen growth in markets such as Indonesia, South Korea, and Japan, partly due to a new trade deal lifting export restrictions to Japan.
  • Local demand for table grapes has increased, and prices are expected to drop by up to $10 per kilogram when the Australian domestic grape season starts in November.
  • seasonality and the cost of imported grapes outside of the Australian season, which runs from November to May, influence price fluctuations.
Have you noticed the fluctuating prices of table grapes or other produce? How do you plan to take advantage of the upcoming price drop? Share your thoughts and strategies in the comments below.

Sponsored
We did expect to see a price drop in lobsters when China stopped buying them. That didn't happen for Joe Average Aussie shoppers. I reckon Coles and Woolies just gobbled up the profits. You can be darn sure the fishing industry didn't see any benefits.
l love lobsters but l haven't had one for donkeys years l hate that they are boiled alive.
l wouldn't entertain anything grown in China don't they use their own manure Yak.Might be wrong don't shoot the messenger

l love lobsters but l haven't had one for donkeys years l hate that they are boiled alive.
l wouldn't entertain anything grown in China don't they use their own manure Yak.Might be wrong don't shoot the messenger
The lobsters didn't come from China, we were exporting them to China. It was predicted that Aussies would able to buy them cheaper as the industry had taken a hit, losing the sales to China. Also, you don't have to eat them to observe the price trends.

We always put them to sleep in our restaurant in the freezer you’ll find most restaurants do 😊

Point taken but they must have feelings!
They don’t have a nervous system but there are many differing views on this by scientists etc so I can’t answer that question 😊
I haven’t eaten them since my 2nd wedding donkeys years ago and now out of my price range unfortunately😊

They don’t have a nervous system but there are many differing views on this by scientists etc so I can’t answer that question 😊
I haven’t eaten them since my 2nd wedding donkeys years ago and now out of my price range unfortunately😊
l just typed in my question to''ASK ME''and it was interesting finding out the differing facts but no-one seems to really know much about their suffering.l can't remember when l last ate lobster. In Tasmania crayfish seems to be passed off as lobster and l shake my head in disbelieve as they taste so different not to mention lobsters have the giant claws.

Reactions: Littleboy8
l just typed in my question to''ASK ME''and it was interesting finding out the differing facts but no-one seems to really know much about their suffering.l can't remember when l last ate lobster. In Tasmania crayfish seems to be passed off as lobster and l shake my head in disbelieve as they taste so different not to mention lobsters have the giant claws.
Good to see someone else doing research on here I wish more people would makes these posts more interesting I reckon 👍

Reactions: Ebby