Shoppers share harrowing close calls with gardening item sold at ALDI

Gardening is a pastime that many cherish.

It's a way to stay active, enjoy the outdoors, and take pride in a well-maintained yard.

However, modern gardening tools come with a need for caution, as some products may pose unexpected risks in homes and gardens.

An anonymous shopper initially asked for reviews about ALDI's $40 electric weed gun, which later on sparked a heated debate among gardening enthusiasts.

'Has anyone ever used an electric weed gun to burn weeds? I've read they don't come back as it kills the roots, unlike boiling water,' they inquired.

'I don't want to waste my money if it's a gimmick.'

The electric weed gun should make weeding an easier task by using heat to kill weeds down to the root.

aldi.PNG
The ALDI Electric Weed Killer ($39.99) also works as BBQ pit starter. Image Credit: ALDI

It promised a chemical-free way to maintain gardens and reduce the physical strain of weeding.

The responses were a mixed bag, as some shoppers sang its praises while others shared cautionary tales.

'Our neighbour has one, and it's awesome!' one commenter exclaimed.

'They sprayed the weeds about a month ago, and so far, they haven't had any back.'

Another shopper was unimpressed by the device.

'I just don't like the smell of the weeds burning. Great on little weeds, but pointless on big ones,' he stated.

'It's easier to pull first. The smell is why I don't use it very often.'

However, it was the warnings that caught other shoppers' attention.

'My dad and hubby had one. Both had disasters,' a third warned.

'Hubby did a weed at the base of a fence line with wood support and didn't realise an ember had got in. The next morning, we were left with a smouldering fence stump which burnt all night.'

'Be aware of the danger. A friend of mine used it, and the roots started smouldering underneath the stone pathway,' another shared.

The inconvenience of smoke also became a common complaint among its users.

'I found it did not burn anything more than the tips, and it covered me in smoke,' another comment read.

'I needed to shower and wash my hair afterwards.'

These shoppers' comments suggested that while the electric weed gun could be effective, it should also require proper handling and awareness of potential hazards.

For green-thumbed members, always read the safety instructions of any new gardening tool and consider the experiences of others.

If you are considering an electric weed gun for your home, weigh the convenience against the possible risks.
Key Takeaways

• Shoppers shared their mixed opinions on the effectiveness and safety of ALDI's electric weed gun.
  • While some endorsed the weed gun for its ability to prevent weeds from returning, others warned about potential hazards like unintended fires.
  • A user shared a near disaster after embers from using the weed gun led to a smouldering stump.
  • Customers also highlighted the importance of using the device with caution and being aware of its potential for accidentally spreading fire.
Have any of you had experiences with electric weed guns or other modern gardening tools? Were they helpful, or do you prefer gardening in tried and tested ways? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored