Shoppers scramble to snatch up this $16 Kmart steal—perfect $99 lookalike!

As the summer season approaches, Australians look forward to sunny days and balmy evenings and the joy of entertaining friends and family.

And what better way to impress your guests than with a beautifully set table featuring stylish dinnerware?

For those who love a touch of nostalgia mixed with contemporary affordability, Kmart has just unveiled a range that's causing quite the stir among bargain hunters and style aficionados alike.

The 2-pack Green Cabbage Side Plates ($8) includes cabbage plates, bowls, and platters, is a delightful nod to the 80s classic Bordallo Pinheiro ceramics from Portugal.

These pieces, which can fetch prices up to $200, are known for their unique and charming cabbage motifs.

Kmart's version, however, offers the same vintage appeal without the hefty price tag, with items ranging from just $8 to $16.

1725935279922.png
Kmart Australia unveiled dinnerware inspired by 80s Bordallo Pinheiro ceramics. Credit: Kmart

Eliza Reid, a Victorian event manager and self-proclaimed bargain hunter, couldn't contain her excitement as she showcased the 'stunning' dining finds on her social media account.

'This might be throwing it back for a few people, but Kmart has now dropped some cabbage bowls, plates, and platters,' she said in the video.

'Obviously, they're a cheaper version of the fine china, but very cute, nonetheless.'

The collection features two mini bowls for $8, two green side plates for $8, a cabbage oval platter for $12, and a large cabbage bowl for $16.

Not only are these pieces 'elegant' and retro, but they are also practical, being both microwave and dishwasher-safe.

Nostalgic fans who remember the original 'cabbage ware' gracing their mothers' and grandmothers' tables are thrilled to find such a 'value for money' version.

'I am totally grabbing a couple of these even though I already have some Bordallo plates,' one shopper commented.

Another added, 'That cabbage bowl filled with a pile of bright fresh coleslaw or pasta salad would look amazing.'

It's worth noting that some shoppers have mentioned that The Reject Shop also stocks dupes similar to the iconic Portuguese plates.

However, the buzz is all about Kmart's release, which has become a hot topic among those who appreciate a good find.

This isn't the first time Kmart has made waves with its releases.

Following the launch of a new appliance that pizza lovers have dubbed the 'best kitchen launch ever,' the retailer continues to impress.

The Pizza Maker, priced at $69, features a 31 cm ceramic stone perfect for cooking both frozen and fresh pizzas.

'The dials on this make it possible to cook on a lower heat for longer, to get that base to wood-fired perfection is kind of expensive these days, so the maths is math-ing,' a satisfied customer remarked.
Key Takeaways
  • Kmart Australia released a new line of dinnerware that resembles the classic 80s Bordallo Pinheiro ceramics from Portugal.
  • The range, including cabbage plates, bowls, and platters, is affordably priced between $8 and $16.
  • The new dining collection has been well received by shoppers eager for a nostalgic and 'value for money' addition to their table settings.
  • Amidst the excitement for the dinnerware, Kmart has also launched a new Pizza Maker appliance that has been dubbed a 'game changer' by pizza lovers.
Have you snagged any of these Kmart bargains? What are your thoughts on incorporating nostalgic designs into your modern table settings? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Sponsored
I have used both the ceramic stone and cast iron round for pizzas, and the cast iron wins hands down all the time, they get hotter in the oven, the pizzas turn our a lot crispy and if you use the cast iron as a serving plate the pizza stays hot for a lot longer, the cats iron round is not really expensive either and doesnt break easy. I have had cermic stones just crack whilst in the oven.

I remember both grandmothers having bits and pieces of this dinnerware but nostalgia alone will not tempt me I dislike anything green unless it is alive as in plants etc so its a no from me.

Reactions: PattiB
I disliked these in the 80’s and dislike them even more now. My late mum in law had a fancy, pink ceramic vase which I thought was ghastly so decided to off load it. My young neighbour saw it & absolutely loved it. It now has a prominent spot in her lounge. How people’s taste varies.

I can't get my head around these "nostalgic" pieces of rubbish.

Toasters, radios, kettles, etc. All with "the 50s" look. Only people well into there 70s and beyond would remember what the originals looked like.

Those who are 40 and under wouldn't have a clue about the originals and would comprise the majority of the target market . I honestly do not know how at all works.

I can't get my head around these "nostalgic" pieces of rubbish.

Toasters, radios, kettles, etc. All with "the 50s" look. Only people well into there 70s and beyond would remember what the originals looked like.

Those who are 40 and under wouldn't have a clue about the originals and would comprise the majority of the target market . I honestly do not know how at all works.
AS WHEN I WAS IN MY 40'S. IT IS CALLED LIFE AND LIFE STYLES CHANGE. I ACTALLY LOVE MOST THINGS. SENTIMENTS TAKE OVER.

Yeah should be free and kmart should have a pop up break-room to smash them in!

I remember both grandmothers having bits and pieces of this dinnerware but nostalgia alone will not tempt me I dislike anything green unless it is alive as in plants etc so its a no from me.

I’m with you on the colour green….

Reactions: Gaena