Shoppers react to increasing grocery expenses: "This is not normal, it's not fair"

Australians' grocery prices have been soaring - in some cases as much as doubling - as inflation hits a two-decade high, and true inflation may be far higher.

The Westpac-Melbourne Institute monthly consumer mood survey for May shows financial worry returning to levels last seen in August 2020 when Melbourne fell back into lockdown, causing a new round of panic shopping at supermarkets.

Mortgage-stressed Aussies may go bankrupt as they juggle rising grocery and power costs, with electricity prices predicted to double in the next year.

According to a Daily Mail Australia study of supermarket buyers, cost of living pressures have increased due to floods and the Russian-Ukrainian war pushing petrol prices back towards $2.

The following are comments made by various customers:

DOlibobx8sriqb-hemjHVP1P-BoYey2Frq3-ot_MY6VQU7t5iWqAdPPNMFhT3dVF8DBzy-7v65uy_r4cm0VKY0L7bxgUN6XfkddXwk9c4y1V4AlPwih-RcdDGMv-XTxr65K4hGF-9QmFubYn0Q

Inflation is rising at the quickest rate in twenty years, causing Aussies to pay $400 for groceries. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

Monique's shopping bill at Woolworths was $100.55 for a simple purchase that would have cost $40 not so long ago.

"Honestly, I'm dying. There was nothing, just some snack food – chips, chocolate, strawberries," she said. "I didn't even get the other essential goods."

"This is not normal. It's not fair."

If Monique had gone all out and done a complete shop, it would have cost her somewhere in the range of $300 to $400.

On the other hand, a married couple named Nour and Michael stated that the growing consumer costs and stagnant pay growth prevented them from purchasing a property.

"There's not even a chance for us to think about it," said Nour.

Michael added: "I always wanted to buy, but whatever money you have doesn't take you that far anymore."

Now, he views "purchasing a property" as a life sentence in the sense that if the interest rate increases by 0.25 percentage points, you are already at risk of losing your house. This is one of the reasons why he no longer recommends it.

fA2Os8gFteQ7GzfqnhICAbgywt-1xg70ly9ywc7yA439ihHJ-zDFKDZUOP6f40VAQ8Aqm3sRwYyeHeWHj3jaS6LdrIH_F6V2gWkxo1VOPaNMTC30DaI_2yc4YjZEBM5p8d8VZzFSbaOdz4Ki7g

Many consumers have confessed that they stretch their budget when shopping for food. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

Tina said that buying the ingredients for an Italian rice dish for a family of five pushed her grocery bill into the triple digits.

The mum had only purchased a few ingredients for her son's risotto and it already cost her $138.

She also buys fruits and vegetables in bulk and on special to save money on grocery bills. This, however, makes her previously weekly shopping more frequent. She now goes to the supermarket three or four times a week just to keep her grocery bill as low as possible.

"Before I used to go to one place to do my shopping, but now things have changed," she said. "Now, I make three or four trips a week. It's time-wasting."

Margaret, an aged pensioner, has also been compelled to do some price comparison shopping in order to secure the greatest deals. She stated that "when you're on a pension, you've got to do what you've got to do."

Margaret stated that she spent $22 at Coles to buy herself four meals, with a significant portion of the bill being paid for by sheer good luck when she won $20 at bingo.

"I’ve got baked beans and spaghetti in there, little tins. That was only $5 worth. So that’s less than $2.50 for a meal on toast," she said.

K9GbqPl14DLrp7KTf6qWjVOPqF16Lj4uBoLsWkoTGTGnwRRG1hvK5dClTfs_Nm6o4x9fea1CwSWj-fOPs-526-nKU_unCr0SmOKUamOMj6Snq0iF6Pp8QDR-MjzAp0lojtybj6zze979dOB66g

Bronwyn said she has seen 'poverty' as rising costs compel older adults to choose between bills and food. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

As part of her job at an elderly care facility, Bronwyn goes grocery shopping for the clients. She stated that many of her customers were having trouble affording the basic necessities.

"It’s really sad. I’m seeing real poverty," she said.

"People can’t even afford to buy food. They’re on the pension, they’re paying rent, and they’re not even buying food. They are living off tin stuff. And I think they are getting that from support services – they aren’t even buying that."

Bronwyn mentioned that she had recently returned from a trip to the grocery store with a customer who has a better financial situation than the majority of the people she works with; nonetheless, the customer was still unable to purchase fresh meat on her budget.

What do you think, members? Are you also experiencing the effects of the growing cost of groceries?

Check out one of our articles here if you're looking for some thrifty advice on how to cut costs and save some cash.

Sponsored
Shoppers react to increasing grocery expenses: "This is not normal, it's not fair"

Australians' grocery prices have been soaring - in some cases as much as doubling - as inflation hits a two-decade high, and true inflation may be far higher.

The Westpac-Melbourne Institute monthly consumer mood survey for May shows financial worry returning to levels last seen in August 2020 when Melbourne fell back into lockdown, causing a new round of panic shopping at supermarkets.

Mortgage-stressed Aussies may go bankrupt as they juggle rising grocery and power costs, with electricity prices predicted to double in the next year.

According to a Daily Mail Australia study of supermarket buyers, cost of living pressures have increased due to floods and the Russian-Ukrainian war pushing petrol prices back towards $2.

DOlibobx8sriqb-hemjHVP1P-BoYey2Frq3-ot_MY6VQU7t5iWqAdPPNMFhT3dVF8DBzy-7v65uy_r4cm0VKY0L7bxgUN6XfkddXwk9c4y1V4AlPwih-RcdDGMv-XTxr65K4hGF-9QmFubYn0Q

Inflation is rising at the quickest rate in twenty years, causing Aussies to pay $400 for groceries. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

Monique's shopping bill at Woolworths was $100.55 for a simple purchase that would have cost $40 not so long ago.

"Honestly, I'm dying. There was nothing, just some snack food – chips, chocolate, strawberries," she said. "I didn't even get the other essential goods."

If Monique had gone all out and done a complete shop, it would have cost her somewhere in the range of $300 to $400.

On the other hand, a married couple named Nour and Michael stated that the growing consumer costs and stagnant pay growth prevented them from purchasing a property.

Michael added: "I always wanted to buy, but whatever money you have doesn't take you that far anymore."

Now, he views "purchasing a property" as a life sentence in the sense that if the interest rate increases by 0.25 percentage points, you are already at risk of losing your house. This is one of the reasons why he no longer recommends it.

fA2Os8gFteQ7GzfqnhICAbgywt-1xg70ly9ywc7yA439ihHJ-zDFKDZUOP6f40VAQ8Aqm3sRwYyeHeWHj3jaS6LdrIH_F6V2gWkxo1VOPaNMTC30DaI_2yc4YjZEBM5p8d8VZzFSbaOdz4Ki7g

Many consumers have confessed that they stretch their budget when shopping for food. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

Tina said that buying the ingredients for an Italian rice dish for a family of five pushed her grocery bill into the triple digits.

The mum had only purchased a few ingredients for her son's risotto and it already cost her $138.

She also buys fruits and vegetables in bulk and on special to save money on grocery bills. This, however, makes her previously weekly shopping more frequent. She now goes to the supermarket three or four times a week just to keep her grocery bill as low as possible.

"Before I used to go to one place to do my shopping, but now things have changed," she said. "Now, I make three or four trips a week. It's time-wasting."

Margaret, an aged pensioner, has also been compelled to do some price comparison shopping in order to secure the greatest deals. She stated that "when you're on a pension, you've got to do what you've got to do."

Margaret stated that she spent $22 at Coles to buy herself four meals, with a significant portion of the bill being paid for by sheer good luck when she won $20 at bingo.

"I’ve got baked beans and spaghetti in there, little tins. That was only $5 worth. So that’s less than $2.50 for a meal on toast," she said.

K9GbqPl14DLrp7KTf6qWjVOPqF16Lj4uBoLsWkoTGTGnwRRG1hvK5dClTfs_Nm6o4x9fea1CwSWj-fOPs-526-nKU_unCr0SmOKUamOMj6Snq0iF6Pp8QDR-MjzAp0lojtybj6zze979dOB66g

Bronwyn said she has seen 'poverty' as rising costs compel older adults to choose between bills and food. Credit: Daily Mail Australia.

As part of her job at an elderly care facility, Bronwyn goes grocery shopping for the clients. She stated that many of her customers were having trouble affording the basic necessities.

"People can’t even afford to buy food. They’re on the pension, they’re paying rent, and they’re not even buying food. They are living off tin stuff. And I think they are getting that from support services – they aren’t even buying that."

Bronwyn mentioned that she had recently returned from a trip to the grocery store with a customer who has a better financial situation than the majority of the people she works with; nonetheless, the customer was still unable to purchase fresh meat on her budget.

What do you think, members? Are you also experiencing the effects of the growing cost of groceries?

Check out one of our articles here if you're looking for some thrifty advice on how to cut costs and save some cash.
I realise that items are much more expensive but as my Mum used to say, ‘ you cut your coat according to your cloth’ My husband and I are only on the aged pension although we don’t pay rent. Addressing some remarks, buy essentials first, nibbles, chocolate and strawberries are not necessities, tinned food is more expensive than fresh and buy when foods are on special.

On an aged pension alone and paying rent food has become alarming. I am making my own soups for winter and the price of fresh veges is soaring. Yes we have weather conditions and the rise in the interest rate to contend with. I just wonder where it is all going to end.:confused:

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

Supermarket price gouging, I read an article about this the other day from a farmer and even though he is not getting any extra money at the gate for his produce he said you can only blame a little of this on freight. The supermarkets are price gouging as are a lot of the service stations, a service station in Mudgee NSW has more expensive fuel than Ceduna in the desert in SA, it's a rort.

Oh the price of food has definitely sky-rocketed!! And not only that... but the government dropped the tax on petrol and it went down, now it also has shot higher than before!!! I thought the government said it was going to keep an eye on fuel prices to make sure this saving was passed on.... how come it's higher than before!???!!

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci

That's going to be one very expensive risotto......

You gotta be crazy to buy your food this way, you gotta be crazy, crazy

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: debjane and Ricci
As a pensioner i have a regular weekly shop which has risen in recent months from around $60 to $85. much more than the inflation figure given by the government. Any increase in the food budget means money has to be taken from somewhere to cover it, which means cutting back on heating, doctors visits etc.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and Liz
I own my own home but living in an over 55's village I still have monthly fees to pay so it's a bit like rent. When I moved in I had the roof covered in solar panels which was expensive at the time but now I am in credit with the power company so I don't have to worry about heating/cooling, I haven't paid for electricity in over 4 years. I try to keep my weekly groceries to under $100 and most weeks I manage it but the weeks that need cleaning gear, toiletries push it over. I live rural so fuel is a big expense but thanks to covid I have limited my journeys, so it's currently not too horrendous. However, I'm getting heartily sick of living like a hermit, getting my groceries delivered so I don't have to venture out and not seeing anyone from one weeks end to the next. I always thought retirement was a time to let your hair down and do the stuff you couldn't afford to do when the kids were growing up, to have the occasional meal out and maybe see a show or two. Will someone please tell me when these times will return as so far I'm totally fed up with my retirement.:(:(:rolleyes:

Oh the price of food has definitely sky-rocketed!! And not only that... but the government dropped the tax on petrol and it went down, now it also has shot higher than before!!! I thought the government said it was going to keep an eye on fuel prices to make sure this saving was passed on.... how come it's higher than before!???!!
This increase is because of the price of oil constantly on the increase. This is beyond the governments control

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
Funny how all the photos in this article about rising prices, show Woolworths plastic bags (which don't look like they've been used more than once). One money-saving hint could be "Bring your own shopping bags"!

I know the price of groceries is horrendous. Over the past 50 years I have watched unions strike for higher wages. When they get $5 increase everything else goes up $20. I do not know the answer but I can definitely foresee much higher prices, war or no war.