Shoppers outraged over the shocking price of cheese - Discover the unexpected reason behind the price surge

Grocery shopping can leave us feeling frustrated and overwhelmed – between increased prices and inflation, it can be hard to come up with a budget-friendly grocery list.

Recently, it’s come to light that the price of cheese has sharply increased after one bargain hunter took to social media to share her 'disappointing' find.

Posting in the popular Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia, the shopper said that she had seen price hikes on blocks of cheese in multiple retail stores.

She wrote: 'When did the large block of cheese (even generic brands) go up? Was $6.50 last year but it increased from $8 to 9.50.'

'Not just that, it's always been in short supply and not always on the shelves (mostly not available at ALDI).'

'Finally today in Coles I ran some down and it was over $12 for the Coles brand. It’s doubled in price in a year.'

pexels-photo-4187779.jpeg

A frustrated shopper took to social media to share how the prices of blocks of cheese being sold at supermarkets have doubled in price. Credit: Pexels/Polina Tankilevitch.

The woman's post attracted the attention of other Aussie shoppers, who said that the prices of other food products also increased dramatically and they can't always 'afford to buy fresh fruit' anymore.

'The price for food now is shocking. I can’t always afford to buy fresh fruit anymore,' one shopper wrote.

'Just like snack chips were $5.50 a box it's ridiculous,' another added

A third agreed, saying: 'Good way to cut unhealthy food out of our diet, I guess.'

Meanwhile, some shoppers offered advice on how to save money during grocery shopping.

One commenter advised: 'My shopping list is now based on specials only. If it’s not on special, it’s not purchased that week.'

'I've shopped that way for years, probably 80% are special offers, 20% aren't,' another advised.

pexels-photo-3962285.jpeg

Other shoppers shared how the price hikes on different food items have prompted them to change their shopping habits. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

One user, who claimed to be working in the dairy industry, provided a reason for the recent price rise, explaining that the economy is causing dairy companies to increase the cost of their products.

'The grain cost have increased, the driver delivering the grain has increased delivery fees, the tanker who collects the milk has increased their cost, the medication to treat mastitis has increased, fuel to run the tractor has increased, the power bill to run a Dairy farm has increased, the water bill has increased, vet call out fees have increased …'

'And it goes on and on. It’s crazy and instead of the big billion-dollar businesses (such as Coles or Woolies) absorbing any cost they pass it on to the consumer!'

'I just don’t think this is the end of it!'

'Wouldn’t surprise me if it gets to $20 a kilo by the end of the year!'

The user also mentioned that the recent floods had an impact on the dairy industry, with some family farms being completely destroyed.

'I know a family with two dairy farms on the same “street”. Both were fully wiped out in the floods, and they had to slowly rebuild to start again,' they said.

'It's never-ending for the poor farmers.'

Another user chimed in, claiming that the costs also increase as the products are delivered to the retailers.

One comment read: 'The farm is the first stage! The company producing the dairy products probably have increased cost! I’m sure Bulla, Bega and other dairy producers have had their energy costs increased, packaging costs, delivery costs, and more but I don’t know that side of it.'

'Then, the store where we buy the products from have increased bills also.'

Key Takeaways

• Different retailers have been increasing the price of cheese.
  • Shoppers are turning to specials only when grocery shopping as prices are increasing.
  • Costs have been increasing for dairy farmers and food producers. Factors such as increased grain prices, medication, fuel costs, power bills and water bills contribute to the raise in prices.
  • Retailers are passing the costs on to the consumer, meaning cheese prices are likely to continue increasing.

As everyone knows, grocery prices are constantly on the rise.

It's frustrating, but there's nothing we can do about it but urge the government to act and provide remedies to ease the cost of living. We’ll continue sharing the top deals every week and keep you up to date with any tips and tricks for saving money.

How have you managed to deal with increasing grocery costs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Grocery shopping can leave us feeling frustrated and overwhelmed – between increased prices and inflation, it can be hard to come up with a budget-friendly grocery list.

Recently, it’s come to light that the price of cheese has sharply increased after one bargain hunter took to social media to share her 'disappointing' find.

Posting in the popular Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia, the shopper said that she had seen price hikes on blocks of cheese in multiple retail stores.

She wrote: 'When did the large block of cheese (even generic brands) go up? Was $6.50 last year but it increased from $8 to 9.50.'

'Not just that, it's always been in short supply and not always on the shelves (mostly not available at ALDI).'

'Finally today in Coles I ran some down and it was over $12 for the Coles brand. It’s doubled in price in a year.'

A frustrated shopper took to social media to share how the prices of blocks of cheese being sold at supermarkets have doubled in price. Credit: Pexels/Polina Tankilevitch.

The woman's post attracted the attention of other Aussie shoppers, who said that the prices of other food products also increased dramatically and they can't always 'afford to buy fresh fruit' anymore.

'The price for food now is shocking. I can’t always afford to buy fresh fruit anymore,' one shopper wrote.

A third agreed, saying: 'Good way to cut unhealthy food out of our diet, I guess.'

Meanwhile, some shoppers offered advice on how to save money during grocery shopping.

One commenter advised: 'My shopping list is now based on specials only. If it’s not on special, it’s not purchased that week.'

'I've shopped that way for years, probably 80% are special offers, 20% aren't,' another advised.

Other shoppers shared how the price hikes on different food items have prompted them to change their shopping habits. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

One user, who claimed to be working in the dairy industry, provided a reason for the recent price rise, explaining that the economy is causing dairy companies to increase the cost of their products.

'The grain cost have increased, the driver delivering the grain has increased delivery fees, the tanker who collects the milk has increased their cost, the medication to treat mastitis has increased, fuel to run the tractor has increased, the power bill to run a Dairy farm has increased, the water bill has increased, vet call out fees have increased …'

'And it goes on and on. It’s crazy and instead of the big billion-dollar businesses (such as Coles or Woolies) absorbing any cost they pass it on to the consumer!'

The user also mentioned that the recent floods had an impact on the dairy industry, with some family farms being completely destroyed.

'I know a family with two dairy farms on the same “street”. Both were fully wiped out in the floods, and they had to slowly rebuild to start again,' they said.

Another user chimed in, claiming that the costs also increase as the products are delivered to the retailers.

One comment read: 'The farm is the first stage! The company producing the dairy products probably have increased cost! I’m sure Bulla, Bega and other dairy producers have had their energy costs increased, packaging costs, delivery costs, and more but I don’t know that side of it.'

Key Takeaways

• Shoppers are turning to specials only when grocery shopping as prices are increasing.
  • Costs have been increasing for dairy farmers and food producers. Factors such as increased grain prices, medication, fuel costs, power bills and water bills contribute to the raise in prices.
  • Retailers are passing the costs on to the consumer, meaning cheese prices are likely to continue increasing.

It's frustrating, but there's nothing we can do about it but urge the government to act and provide remedies to ease the cost of living. We’ll continue sharing the top deals every week and keep you up to date with any tips and tricks for saving money.

How have you managed to deal with increasing grocery costs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Government loves inflation as it makes their debt worth less.

on top of that it punishes senior of fixed incomes and pensions. The government can’t fiddle with superfunds because of voter backlash. The elderly are seen as having large cash reserves. They want that introduced into the economy to stimulate same. They don’t want you leaving to anyone , going on overseas holidays or other uncontrolled discretionary spend.

The government won’t fiddle with GST as the states will go ballistic.

So price increases yield more profits that results in greater tax revenue. You are basically paying more tax.

What can you do about it? Nothing, as the banks and big business are steam rolling us all.

• Sad
Reactions: SandyM and Ricci
I find if you buy fruit and veg in season the prices are as low as year ago . A lettuce for $2, Tomatoes $3.20 Kg, peaches $3.50 kg, bananas $3.50 kg bought all this last week at these prices

Reactions: Petra and Ricci
It will only get worse the more the unions want pay rises inevitably everything goes up. Remember the seventies. The young think interest rates are high now, they better then go to the 70"s high

Reactions: Ricci
All' the food items that I purchase have increased by significantly and far more than 10%. This are basic food items from milk, cream, bread, Turkish bread rolls, rice, chicken, mince meat, sausages, frozen seafood, margarine, butter, condiments, sugar, flour, toilet paper, tissues, tin soups, ... you name it, they have gone up by 25-60%, some even more than that. All have increased within 8 months as well. They have increased, then increased, then increased yet again. Nothing goes to waste now. I can't afford it and neither can anyone. I dare say that many that shouted themselves a 'take-away' will now rethink and either stop it altogether or only get maybe 1-4 a year. People have to re-think and businesses will feel the affects of less customers simply because people can not afford even a pizza.

Reactions: Rob44 and Ricci
Does Woolworths have a wholesale arm that buys stuff and then sells it to Woolworth's retail arm? And does Woolworth's wholesale arm organise it so that independent grocers have to buy from Woolworth's wholesale arm? I heard about this sort of arrangement operated in Tasmania some years ago,

It will only get worse the more the unions want pay rises inevitably everything goes up. Remember the seventies. The young think interest rates are high now, they better then go to the 70"s high
Ah, those wicked wicked Unions!

Key Takeaways

there will be a back lash eventually as the high prices will force more and more people to NOT BUY the products and so who will be left holding the bag then..... supermarkets will have to put them on special as they get closer to there use by date just to try and curtail their losses....