Shoppers are making a switch to home-brand products due to cost-of-living crisis impact

It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia has been steadily rising. It has impacted everything, from rent to transportation costs. It’s also affected the cost of our weekly shop.

That’s why Aussies are finding ways to stretch their budget further by switching to home-brand products.

Research conducted by NielsenIQ for the 2024 Product of the Year Awards recently found that over 45 per cent of Aussie grocery shoppers have been switching to home-brand options in the supermarket.

This percentage was higher among those on lower incomes of $40,000-$59,000 yearly and women aged 45-54.

FB resize 166.jpg
Shoppers resorted to buying supermarkets’ home-brand products due to the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Shutterstock

These findings were also reflected in the annual awards, with Coles and Woolworths being awarded for their home-brand, deli, and bakery products.

Coles won 19 out of 44 awards—which included its Coles and Coles Finest products—while Woolworths took home 10 awards. Despite these two bagging the most awards, ALDI took the top spot for being the ‘most affordable’.

Product of the Year director Sarah Connelly said that the steady increase in the cost of living changed how Aussies shopped by considering affordability as one of their purchasing decisions.

Based on the survey of over 5,000 Aussies, three in five shoppers were cutting back on snacks, such as chocolates, desserts, and premium nuts, to save money.

‘Whilst snacks and treats were commonplace in the shopping trolley before living expenses started to increase exponentially, these are now classed as luxury items rather than a need, with many shoppers viewing snacks as a low priority when it comes to feeding the family,’ Connelly said.

Aside from buying home-brand products, the survey also revealed that around 86 per cent of shoppers used cost-cutting techniques, including switching to cheaper cuts of meat, (42 per cent), cutting back on food delivery (40 per cent), and eating home-cooked meals and leftovers (38 per cent).

Finder’s Consumer Sentiment Tracker reported in November 2022 that 78 per cent of Aussies felt stressed about their current financial situations, and 26 per cent said they were ‘extremely stressed’.

Personal finance expert Amy Bradney-George has recognised any opportunity to cut back costs.

'For some people, that could mean switching to home-brand products at the supermarket or cutting back on snacks and treats like chocolate,’ she said.

‘It could also mean buying fruit and vegetables when they’re in season or stocking up on non-perishable in bulk when there’s a good sale.'

‘Shopping around for better deals not just at the supermarket but also on utilities, insurance, account fees and services,’ she added.

Key Takeaways
  • Nearly half, or 45 per cent, of shoppers are switching to home brand options to save on grocery costs, according to research conducted by NielsenIQ.
  • Cost-cutting measures are driven by the rising cost of living and have changed the way Australians shop, with affordability leading purchasing decisions.
  • Other cost-saving tactics include switching to cheaper meats, reducing food delivery, consuming more homemade meals and eating leftovers.
  • Coles and Woolworths have both received recognition in recent awards for their home-brand products.

What do you think of this story? Have you also made the switch to home-brand products? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Liz
Sponsored
I am switching to Coles mostly from Woolworths because of the delivery saver now being $75. I just wish Aldi would have more lactose free products and I would buy more there. Who buys sweets and treats these days, I certainly don't.:(

Reactions: Leenie and IAN3005
I am switching to Coles mostly from Woolworths because of the delivery saver now being $75. I just wish Aldi would have more lactose free products and I would buy more there. Who buys sweets and treats these days, I certainly don't.:(
I couldn’t get by without my Freddo frogs & caramello koalas. My husband laughs every time my little stash arrives.

Out of the frying pan into the fire!!!!

Reactions: Leenie
I always buy Black n Gold products. Now, I just don't shop at Coles or Woolworths anymore. Bunch of greedy corporate so n so's.

Reactions: IAN3005
People have lost the knack, or possibly never had it, of how to be thrifty'.
Trolleys are stacked high with carton of soft drink, chips, chocolate, sweets,
premade desserts etc.
Once these things were an occasional treat that you really enjoyed. You made your own desserts, cooked your own meals, etc.
I can remember my mother taking my brother and me to the local market on Saturday morning, on the tram, no car.
We would get a treat of a hot jam donut, we looked forward to that all week. Nowadays kids expect two or three donuts, a soft drink and an ice cream and aren't even grateful half the time.
I think we could all do with a reality check.

premade desserts etc.
Once these things were an occasional treat that you really enjoyed. You made your own desserts, cooked your own meals, etc.
I can remember my mother taking my brother and me to the local market on Saturday morning, on the tram, no car.
We would get a treat of a hot jam donut, we looked forward to that all week. Nowadays kids expect two or three donuts, a soft drink and an ice cream and aren't even grateful half the time.
A reality check would probably kill them..... no wonder there is a health problem.... the amount of chemicals in the packaged food is astounding.

The prices in supermarkets constantly going up, makes me wonder this.
If we are all forced to buy home brand products, what happens to the other suppliers?
Other suppliers will be put out of business. Would love to know if they are getting richer, or is it just the shops?
Does this then give Woolies, Coles etc. total control over our shop, giving them total profits?
Look at the milk fridge for instance, it is mostly their own milk brands being sold.

premade desserts etc.
And it's often the biggest person (to be polite/ politically correct for duckin'sake) who have the most crap in the trolley
Read another where they were bitching about the cost living and they often referred to ''cheap'' take away crap.

"People have lost the knack, or possibly never had it, of how to be thrifty'."
That is so true and I look back the $$$ I wasted before became older and wiser . Those brought up by those who lived through the big/real depression were certainly given those lessons but many have/were forgotten
Perhaps Australians have had it a little too good for too long

Reactions: Leenie and PattiB
If we are all forced to buy home brand products, what happens to the other suppliers?
Other suppliers will be put out of business. Would love to know if they are getting richer, or is it just the shops?
Does this then give Woolies, Coles etc. total control over our shop, giving them total profits?
Look at the milk fridge for instance, it is mostly their own milk brands being sold.
Most "other suppliers" are making the coles/ww products

It's no secret that the cost of living in Australia has been steadily rising. It has impacted everything, from rent to transportation costs. It’s also affected the cost of our weekly shop.

That’s why Aussies are finding ways to stretch their budget further by switching to home-brand products.

Research conducted by NielsenIQ for the 2024 Product of the Year Awards recently found that over 45 per cent of Aussie grocery shoppers have been switching to home-brand options in the supermarket.

This percentage was higher among those on lower incomes of $40,000-$59,000 yearly and women aged 45-54.

View attachment 34971
Shoppers resorted to buying supermarkets’ home-brand products due to the cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Shutterstock

These findings were also reflected in the annual awards, with Coles and Woolworths being awarded for their home-brand, deli, and bakery products.

Coles won 19 out of 44 awards—which included its Coles and Coles Finest products—while Woolworths took home 10 awards. Despite these two bagging the most awards, ALDI took the top spot for being the ‘most affordable’.

Product of the Year director Sarah Connelly said that the steady increase in the cost of living changed how Aussies shopped by considering affordability as one of their purchasing decisions.

Based on the survey of over 5,000 Aussies, three in five shoppers were cutting back on snacks, such as chocolates, desserts, and premium nuts, to save money.

‘Whilst snacks and treats were commonplace in the shopping trolley before living expenses started to increase exponentially, these are now classed as luxury items rather than a need, with many shoppers viewing snacks as a low priority when it comes to feeding the family,’ Connelly said.

Aside from buying home-brand products, the survey also revealed that around 86 per cent of shoppers used cost-cutting techniques, including switching to cheaper cuts of meat, (42 per cent), cutting back on food delivery (40 per cent), and eating home-cooked meals and leftovers (38 per cent).

Finder’s Consumer Sentiment Tracker reported in November 2022 that 78 per cent of Aussies felt stressed about their current financial situations, and 26 per cent said they were ‘extremely stressed’.

Personal finance expert Amy Bradney-George has recognised any opportunity to cut back costs.

'For some people, that could mean switching to home-brand products at the supermarket or cutting back on snacks and treats like chocolate,’ she said.

‘It could also mean buying fruit and vegetables when they’re in season or stocking up on non-perishable in bulk when there’s a good sale.'

‘Shopping around for better deals not just at the supermarket but also on utilities, insurance, account fees and services,’ she added.

Key Takeaways

• Nearly half, or 45 per cent, of shoppers are switching to home brand options to save on grocery costs, according to research conducted by NielsenIQ.
  • Cost-cutting measures are driven by the rising cost of living and have changed the way Australians shop, with affordability leading purchasing decisions.
  • Other cost-saving tactics include switching to cheaper meats, reducing food delivery, consuming more homemade meals and eating leftovers.
  • Coles and Woolworths have both received recognition in recent awards for their home-brand products.

What do you think of this story? Have you also made the switch to home-brand products? Let us know in the comments below!
If Aldi, and to lessor extent costco/others were not in Australia, we would be paying a lot more at the main supermarkets . They are the main reason coles/ww have their own high quality lines , and why there is so much at "1/2 price" for week.

Reactions: PattiB

View attachment 34971

Key Takeaways

My biggest laugh at "doing it tough" are those lining up to buy bloody every morning . Plus likely a couple more during the day . That's a $1000+ per year !
As I just shared elsewhere here ---- a $6 ( bulk buy when at 1/2 price) 200gm of Robert Timms Espresso coffee lasts me a month ! At least 4 cups a day! You can work out the cost of 'my' cuppa. Nescafe do similar with one large tin of Espresso coffee [700 grams (??)] Aldi as low as $15] . Fill a jar >rest into a plastic bag >into the freezer >lasts for years ;)

I have always bought what was necessary no chocolates drinks etc etc unless it was for a special occasion. I grew up in the war years and remember the restrictions compared to today what is available today. At the time as a child I knew no different but now as I see what people seem to have that they cannot do without I realise how lucky I grew up knowing to only buy the necessary things. Looking through the food catalogues I bypass all the drinks chips biscuits and ice creams but it seems that these items are what everyone buys nowadays.
As for buying the cheaper or shop brands if we all bought mostly these brands, it would not be long before the stores would not have the other brands on their shelves. Maybe that is where they are heading us then there will be competition

• Love
Reactions: Leenie
Look at the yum milk fridge for instance, it is mostly their own milk brands being sold
If people only knew what food 🥘additives were in the products they buy they would be shocked. I came across a book maybe 30 yrs ago called “ The chemical maze” Your guide to food additives and cosmetic ingredients, and its an eye opener. It goes everywhere with me. Everyone should have one for their own safety.Bill Statham is the author. It gives the numbers of the chemicals ,what they are called and what it does to your health.

Reactions: PattiB
premade desserts etc.
Absolutely - there is too much whingeing about affordability but still buying so much unnecessary stuff.

They probably have a 'volume' deal and they water down the milk and make greater margins. Don't trust them as far as I could spit them.

If people only knew what food 🥘additives were in the products they buy they would be shocked. I came across a book maybe 30 yrs ago called “ The chemical maze” Your guide to food additives and cosmetic ingredients, and its an eye opener. It goes everywhere with me. Everyone should have one for their own safety.Bill Statham is the author. It gives the numbers of the chemicals ,what they are called and what it does to your health.
Yes. You are so correct. However, since the book was published you will find that there are more chemicals, and they are hiding them under names and not just numbers.
Ever heard of diatomaceous earth? Look that up. It is in a lot of so called health foods and protein drinks etc.

Do you think so. I suppose that may be correct, but at what cost to them ?
Are they making watered down versions? I don't get it.
Our woollies manager told me years ago a lot of their
products came from the same producers namely Australian reason for cheaper price, sadly he has now left .

Reactions: IAN3005