Shopper slams $2,000 op shop find: ‘It’s cheaper to go to Kmart’

The thrill of the hunt in op shops has long been a beloved pastime for bargain hunters and vintage lovers alike.

However, a recent discovery at a Vinnies Op Shop in Tamworth has shocked many Australians and sparked a heated debate about charity stores' pricing strategies.

A luxury Balenciaga handbag with a retail value of approximately $4,000 was found with a $2,000 price tag, a sum that has divided the community.

The op shop find quickly became a hot topic on social media, with one local woman expressing her disbelief: 'How in the world would a normal everyday person be able to afford that? At the stage now it’s cheaper to go to Kmart.'

459640589_3868606300093543_1365864288458435722_n (1).jpg
A shopper slammed the price of a Balenciaga bag sold at $2,000 at a Vinnies op shop. Credit: Linda Ashbrook / Facebook

Her sentiment was echoed by others who felt that such pricing was a 'slap in the face,' especially considering that all items were donated.

This isn't the first time high prices at charity stores have caused a stir.

A pair of secondhand RM Williams boots were sold at Salvos in Tamworth for $400, a $45 floral dress at a Sydney Vinnues store, and a secondhand Burberry jacket priced at $850 also raised eyebrows.

‘It’s ridiculous these days, all the op shops are so overpriced. Very much so in the suburb I live in because it’s a wealthy area, they think everyone who walks in is loaded,’ one said.

In defence of the $2,000 handbag, Vinnies North West area manager Julie Crosby reminded critics of the charity's mission: 'We're raising funds. We can spend that money on helping out homeless people, domestic violence issues where we're relocating families.'

Store manager Megan Moffat said, ‘It’s a beautiful little handbag,’ justifying the $2,000 price tag.

The debate has even reached industry experts. Andrew Hughes, a business and economics lecturer, suggested that charity stores might be 'taking advantage of people’, given that ‘they’re getting a lot of their stock for no cost, or very little cost, because people donate to charity bins... or give directly into their stores’.

On the other hand, Omer Soker, CEO of Charitable Recycling Australia, pointed the finger at 'resellers' who buy from charity shops to sell at marked-up prices on commercial platform.

‘These resellers buy from charity shops and then put on huge mark-ups to sell on commercial platforms like Depop, and other commercial markets,’ he argued.

‘In these cases, charity shops are acting like wholesalers, so the charity shop prices are still great value.’
Key Takeaways
  • A luxury Balenciaga handbag was found priced at $2,000 in a Vinnies op shop in Tamworth, sparking backlash over its affordability for everyday shoppers.
  • Shoppers have expressed frustration over perceived high pricing in charity stores, with some items being sold for several hundred dollars.
  • Vinnies North West area manager defended the pricing, highlighting the sale of such items helps fund support services for issues like homelessness and domestic violence.
  • Industry opinions are divided, with some accusing charity stores of taking advantage of donated goods, while others blame resellers for inflating prices, asserting that charity shop prices still offer great value.
Have you come across similar pricing in your local charity stores? Do you think these prices are justified if the proceeds go to a good cause, or should charity shops keep their prices low to serve the community better? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
This is a fair price for this handbag - but what they should have done was sell it and other high-priced items online. Op Shops should only sell (in store) low priced items that people can afford.
What is Op Shop has done is once again slapped the lower income families in the face by saying "Look what we have, but you will never be able to afford it"

I’ve recently donated lots of stuff, including books, fabrics and yarn as well as a lot of new clothes with tags still attached, to various Op Shops as I’m still doing my never ending down sizing clean out. I recently became of someone I know buying up books in good condition as well as a lot of other stuff which she then resells for a tidy profit. I was totally appalled by her behaviour & it’s left me re-thinking my donations. Maybe I’ll just go where the homeless camp & leave clothing, shoes, linen & whatever else is going.

I recently donated some handbags to my local Vinnie's.

On the weekend I found one of those bags for sale at our local market priced at $40.00.

This would be an example of people buying up op-shop items to re-sell at higher prices.
I worked at the Salvos and we had regulars that came in e erysipelas week and loaded up trolleys to later sell on line. What got me was if it didn't sell they expected to return the unsold stuff to get a refund. They were quite aggressive in getting what they want and some would try to bargain down the prices. Unfortunately we couldn't do anything to deterr this way of making money as it's not illegal and Salvos was still making money but morally wrong.

I’ve recently donated lots of stuff, including books, fabrics and yarn as well as a lot of new clothes with tags still attached, to various Op Shops as I’m still doing my never ending down sizing clean out. I recently became of someone I know buying up books in good condition as well as a lot of other stuff which she then resells for a tidy profit. I was totally appalled by her behaviour & it’s left me re-thinking my donations. Maybe I’ll just go where the homeless camp & leave clothing, shoes, linen & whatever else is going.
I hear you. That's what I meant about the handbag I mentioned in my earlier post.

I am also on an eternal downsize.

I realise I can't hover over/control things I give away but I would have been happy though if someone had bought it from Vinnie's for say $10.00 to use and enjoy as the bags were all in good condition.

This way, the stall holder got that item cheap and is profiting and $40.00 could well be too dear for many. Pity.

Reactions: Iggydi and PattiB
I ventured into Vinnie's on the Canning Highway at Applecross, Perth, a few months ago and was horrified. Brand name Billabong and Ripcurl t shirts were priced more than what you would pay at a surf clothing shop!

Gone are the days when one could purchase an item for a few dollars but now greed has overtaken a once respected "not for profit" organisation. Who also don't pay tax under the guise of a religious entity. PISS OFF!!

I worked at the Salvos and we had regulars that came in e erysipelas week and loaded up trolleys to later sell on line. What got me was if it didn't sell they expected to return the unsold stuff to get a refund. They were quite aggressive in getting what they want and some would try to bargain down the prices. Unfortunately we couldn't do anything to deterr this way of making money as it's not illegal and Salvos was still making money but morally wrong.
Understand it's legal. Just feel that genuine buyers (who may want to buy things for themselves) are deprived.

It sends a message that IF u were in possession of such items as these, why would yo want u donate it to an op shop if you can sell it & get good payment for it yourself & then maybe buy a homeless person a few meals or meal voucher at a food shop or such, at least then you would know that 100% of the money is getting to someone in need!

I don't go to the big Op shops now ,as said they are overpricing everything especially the ones in regional areas.I have over the years donated a lot now I think twice or advertise for free on local website. I also found that a lot of overpriced stuff doesn't sell and if they want it gone they have to drop price eventually

I always thought that Opportunity Shops existed in order to help the less fortunate……so that clothing and shoes, knickknacks and pots and pans etc, could be bought at an affordable price. I’ve donated quality items to these shops and feeling good about it because maybe some other person would enjoy something really nice, that would be affordable. I really hate thinking that volunteers might go through the donations and appropriate somethings for themselves for free…..I also think it’s very wrong to have inflated and unaffordable items for sale to the people that that the shops opened for in the first place. I like wandering around the Op Shops when I can….. It’s not nice that people buy items for gainful purposes, but it happens….. if the Op Shops makes a bargain to refund anybody anything they should be reviewed and reminded of their purpose….

Money go to people in need, I am a volunteer at Vinnis and I see people that own a second hand shop buying staff and selling at double price.
It is this what the comunity want?
Vinnis money go to real poor people.
Stop complaining and help to people who really needed.

Why the fuss? The op shop made money for their charity, the buyer took the risk buying and hoping to resell, which is exactly what you could have done yourself, but took the easier way of offloading your excess to the op shop.

Why the fuss? The op shop made money for their charity, the buyer took the risk buying and hoping to resell, which is exactly what you could have done yourself, but took the easier way of offloading your excess to the op shop.
Yes, that's true.

Reactions: Iggydi
I’m not making a fuss, I simply prefer to donate to help people who are less fortunate than me, which is why I didn’t want to sell stuff myself. Selling online would’ve been so much easier than loading my car till full several times & visiting various op shops to leave my donations. I’ll continue doing this but maybe install a free book & other things stand outside my house if it ever stops blowing a gale or raining.

I ventured into Vinnie's on the Canning Highway at Applecross, Perth, a few months ago and was horrified. Brand name Billabong and Ripcurl t shirts were priced more than what you would pay at a surf clothing shop!

Gone are the days when one could purchase an item for a few dollars but now greed has overtaken a once respected "not for profit" organisation. Who also don't pay tax under the guise of a religious entity. PISS OFF!!
there is NO religion when it comes to money charity is ..no wages no rents etc.just charity, and its very big business...the best way to give is direct to someone in need 90% of charities are big business