Shopper reveals some op shops are 'overcharging' customers for secondhand clothes from Kmart

For the thrift enthusiasts among us, there's hardly anything more satisfying than nabbing a bargain at an op shop. The allure of affordable finds, the thrill of a treasure hunt, and not to mention the positive impact on the environment—it's a win on several counts.

However, a recent revelation from an eagle-eyed op shopper has raised a bit of a storm amidst the second-hand shopping community.

Katie Owen, an op shop manager herself with years of experience in hunting down hidden gems in op shops, came across a shocking pricing anomaly. Items originally from Kmart, typically famed for its cheap and cheerful range, were being sold second-hand at prices significantly higher than their original cost!

The secret behind any successful op shop visit is knowing the true value of items. But it seems that a few op shops are exploiting this, making hefty profits off cheap Kmart items.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 12.11.56 PM.png
A woman was shocked to find Kmart clothing in op shops at inflated prices. Credit: TikTok/katiee_owennn.

Spotting a maxi dress and a denim jacket from Kmart's brand Anko, tagged with hefty price tags of $25 and $22, respectively, left Katie utterly surprised.

Rather than looking the other way, she decided to tackle this discrepancy head-on. She brought the overpricing to the attention of the shop workers and said: 'That brand there, Anko was just from Kmart, so it probably would have been about $20 to buy new, just so you know.'

'I know some people get grumpy about it in op shops, so I wanted to bring it to your attention just in case,' she went on to say.

Katie happily shared that both workers were 'kind enough' to reprice the Anko items before putting them back. 'I definitely got lucky on this day because they aren't always as open to learning as these ladies were,' she explained in the comments section of her video.

A lesson learned—and the shop attendants graciously accepted it. After all, a fair deal keeps the thrift shop charm alive!

Katie's candid revelations have sparked a conversation beyond just pricing strategies. It also highlighted how crucial it is to spread awareness among volunteers who may be unacquainted with fast fashion brands and their typical pricing.

'It's such a shame op shop pricing is so odd these days like it's not that hard to Google a brand to see what it'd be worth,' Katie added.

Katie's video sparked a lively and engaging discussion among viewers. Many of them quickly noticed other inexpensive brands being sold at surprisingly high prices, while others applauded Katie for her friendly approach.

One woman wrote, 'I absolutely love how you approached them with kindness. It's always great to let them know that most of the time, they genuinely don't realise it.'

Another viewer added, 'I do the same thing! I mean, seriously, $10 for something from Shein? It's just ridiculous. But I always make sure to be gentle about it and acknowledge that the volunteers are doing their best.'

One person pointed out that many of the volunteers at thrift shops are older individuals who volunteer either to receive their pension or to fill their time. They suggested that the pricing is often a personal estimate or guesswork.

Key Takeaways

• Secondhand shopper Katie Owen has been noticing Kmart clothing being sold at op shops for more than its original price.
  • Katie, an op shop manager herself, spotted a maxi dress and denim jacket from Kmart brand Anko priced at $25 and $22, respectively, even though they were cheaper when purchased new.
  • Katie is bringing this pricing issue to the attention of shop staff, many of whom she believes genuinely have no idea they're overpricing these items.
  • Her observations have sparked a lively discussion amongst viewers, with many acknowledging they've noticed similar pricing issues whilst others commend her for bringing the matter up in a 'friendly' manner.

As you set off on your next op shop adventure, make sure to equip yourself with Katie's invaluable wisdom and eagle-eyed pricing skills. And if you stumble upon any instances of unfair pricing, fear not!

Engage in a friendly conversation and remember that we all make mistakes. Let's work together to preserve the spirit of fair trade in our beloved thrift stores.

So keep on thrifting, keep on saving, and most importantly, keep on revelling in the delightful surprises that await you! We'd love to hear your thoughts on this story, dear members.

How many of you are regular op shop visitors? Have you encountered any instances of 'unfair' pricing in your local stores too? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Sadly these Charity Shops have suffered badly since Covid and I think they are desperate to make a profit. However nobody is forcing a shopper to purchase an over-priced item. Yes, bring it to the attention of the staff but do it nicely as they are nearly always volunteers and not the person responsible for the pricing.

I love op shopping , it's a hobby I love and sadly I have seen ridiculous prices on way over priced item including being either the same price as buying a new one or more.

Reactions: Rosalie30
For the thrift enthusiasts among us, there's hardly anything more satisfying than nabbing a bargain at an op shop. The allure of affordable finds, the thrill of a treasure hunt, and not to mention the positive impact on the environment—it's a win on several counts.

However, a recent revelation from an eagle-eyed op shopper has raised a bit of a storm amidst the second-hand shopping community.

Katie Owen, an op shop manager herself with years of experience in hunting down hidden gems in op shops, came across a shocking pricing anomaly. Items originally from Kmart, typically famed for its cheap and cheerful range, were being sold second-hand at prices significantly higher than their original cost!

The secret behind any successful op shop visit is knowing the true value of items. But it seems that a few op shops are exploiting this, making hefty profits off cheap Kmart items.

View attachment 24046
A woman was shocked to find Kmart clothing in op shops at inflated prices. Credit: TikTok/katiee_owennn.

Spotting a maxi dress and a denim jacket from Kmart's brand Anko, tagged with hefty price tags of $25 and $22, respectively, left Katie utterly surprised.

Rather than looking the other way, she decided to tackle this discrepancy head-on. She brought the overpricing to the attention of the shop workers and said: 'That brand there, Anko was just from Kmart, so it probably would have been about $20 to buy new, just so you know.'

'I know some people get grumpy about it in op shops, so I wanted to bring it to your attention just in case,' she went on to say.

Katie happily shared that both workers were 'kind enough' to reprice the Anko items before putting them back. 'I definitely got lucky on this day because they aren't always as open to learning as these ladies were,' she explained in the comments section of her video.

A lesson learned—and the shop attendants graciously accepted it. After all, a fair deal keeps the thrift shop charm alive!

Katie's candid revelations have sparked a conversation beyond just pricing strategies. It also highlighted how crucial it is to spread awareness among volunteers who may be unacquainted with fast fashion brands and their typical pricing.

'It's such a shame op shop pricing is so odd these days like it's not that hard to Google a brand to see what it'd be worth,' Katie added.

Katie's video sparked a lively and engaging discussion among viewers. Many of them quickly noticed other inexpensive brands being sold at surprisingly high prices, while others applauded Katie for her friendly approach.

One woman wrote, 'I absolutely love how you approached them with kindness. It's always great to let them know that most of the time, they genuinely don't realise it.'

Another viewer added, 'I do the same thing! I mean, seriously, $10 for something from Shein? It's just ridiculous. But I always make sure to be gentle about it and acknowledge that the volunteers are doing their best.'

One person pointed out that many of the volunteers at thrift shops are older individuals who volunteer either to receive their pension or to fill their time. They suggested that the pricing is often a personal estimate or guesswork.

Key Takeaways

• Secondhand shopper Katie Owen has been noticing Kmart clothing being sold at op shops for more than its original price.
  • Katie, an op shop manager herself, spotted a maxi dress and denim jacket from Kmart brand Anko priced at $25 and $22, respectively, even though they were cheaper when purchased new.
  • Katie is bringing this pricing issue to the attention of shop staff, many of whom she believes genuinely have no idea they're overpricing these items.
  • Her observations have sparked a lively discussion amongst viewers, with many acknowledging they've noticed similar pricing issues whilst others commend her for bringing the matter up in a 'friendly' manner.

As you set off on your next op shop adventure, make sure to equip yourself with Katie's invaluable wisdom and eagle-eyed pricing skills. And if you stumble upon any instances of unfair pricing, fear not!

Engage in a friendly conversation and remember that we all make mistakes. Let's work together to preserve the spirit of fair trade in our beloved thrift stores.

So keep on thrifting, keep on saving, and most importantly, keep on revelling in the delightful surprises that await you! We'd love to hear your thoughts on this story, dear members.

How many of you are regular op shop visitors? Have you encountered any instances of 'unfair' pricing in your local stores too? Share your experiences with us in the comments below!

The majority of Op Shops have become far too expensive. We were in Salvos at Pakenham Vic recently, their prices are way too high. It is a mystery why people buy there. They used to be a shop you could buy bargains from, not anymore they are all mostly too dear.

sadly there are some op shops that have got very greedy after all it is donated to them in the first place I love op shopping and have found some good bargains there

Reactions: Rosalie30

View attachment 24046

Key Takeaways

Yes, I saw Anko T shirts last week in an opshop priced at $5 each and I remember paying $2.75 for a brand new black one last year in KMart!!! Even if they have gone up this year I doubt if they would be MORE than $5 each! But unlike this good lady I just sighed and turned away!!!!!

View attachment 24046

Key Takeaways

I have previously worked in and op shop here in WA and yes this place sold K Mart clothing close to or if not more than it was really worth. I use to do the pricing when the other (clueless people) were not able to and I would mark anything K Mart etc less than what a person would pay for in the store, as well as if the item happened to be stained I would price it the amount that I would pay for it. And op shops are getting expensive and some items are just ridiculously overpriced. I know of one op shop here that googles items such as bric a brac, some books, and jewellery etc etc. Not to say I don't go op shopping anymore I love it and have found some good "cheap" items.

Sadly these Charity Shops have suffered badly since Covid and I think they are desperate to make a profit. However nobody is forcing a shopper to purchase an over-priced item. Yes, bring it to the attention of the staff but do it nicely as they are nearly always volunteers and not the person responsible for the pricing.
Unfortunately a lot of so-called charity shops are actually private for profit businesses that pay charities to use their names.

Did anyone notice the names of those op shops, religious organisations. Majority of these are over priced and needing monies to pay for Directors new cars, new homes, new everything. Helping the destitute comes far from those tills. I avoid religious op shops, I favour the nursing home, local community and animal organisations.

Reactions: Nana Zorak
I used to love op shopping but sadly don't shop there much anymore because of inflated prices most of these clothes have been well worn and many are out of shape but if all shirts are $5 then that's the price of all whether or not they are fit to wear, how about some common sense people, most of us will give something which looks reasonable a go but some of the items should be in the rag bag.

So true, I used to help out in an op store & all the best clothes were sent overseas to missions I ask you what would an African want with bling all over a ball gown? That is the sort of thing that would bring in good money if sold in the shop. But the boss thought the people at the mission would like the better type of clothes I, agree that they shouldn't get the dreggs but stuff that would bring in money should have been sold.

Unfortunately a lot of so-called charity shops are actually private for profit businesses that pay charities to use their names.
That is actually a fact. Just look at the Salvos. Have you ever noticed that there are actually 2 different stores. One is a family store and one is a thrift shop. One is run by the salvos and the other by a well known supermarket chain. Do your homework. I personally think it is disgusting especially when people donate to these op shops thinking they are helping out a charity. Would you donate to a big supermarket chain????

• Angry
Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I volunteer in an op shop and it is up to most of the volunteers to do the pricing so items are priced at whatever the person thinks it is worth as there is no set pricing guidelines.
When it comes to clothes we have been told to throw out any K-mart brand clothing as it is a cheap brand and they only want to sell brand names so they can price the clothing higher to make a larger profit.
They also have an online store so they can sell the more expensive brands of clothing items for much much higher prices than anyone on a budget could ever afford to pay in the store.
The store is run like a retail business and is so not there to help those who are struggling or living below the poverty line.
Charity stores are not all they are cracked up to be anymore.

• Angry
Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Not all op shops work the same. I know of an op shop whose sole ethos is to employ people with disabilities. The money made goes back into the business to pay overheads and training. No donations are sent out of the country

I volunteer in an op shop and it is up to most of the volunteers to do the pricing so items are priced at whatever the person thinks it is worth as there is no set pricing guidelines.
When it comes to clothes we have been told to throw out any K-mart brand clothing as it is a cheap brand and they only want to sell brand names so they can price the clothing higher to make a larger profit.
They also have an online store so they can sell the more expensive brands of clothing items for much much higher prices than anyone on a budget could ever afford to pay in the store.
The store is run like a retail business and is so not there to help those who are struggling or living below the poverty line.
Charity stores are not all they are cracked up to be anymore.
I have to agree with you on that. When we use to get donations that were KMart etc brands we still had to sell them. We use to sort out the incoming donations into export and local. Some of the stuff that got put in local was insane and the export was the better stuff and the really good stuff that went to the boss. I only go to op shops now if I can get the concession card discount on Thursdays at Salvos and I usually try not to buy too many clothes now that I have too many lol. Even the bric a brac etc are getting up in price too. And I bet there are people who have worked in these places can tell alot more stories than anyone can imagine...