Shopper reveals secret to scoring FREE roast chook at Coles—find out how!

Who doesn't love a good bargain? Especially when it involves getting a delicious, hot roast chicken for free!

One savvy Australian shopper has revealed her secret to scoring free hot roast chickens from Coles for six years straight, thanks to a little-known policy.

The 'Coles Hot Chicken Promise' is a unique initiative available in most Coles stores across Australia.

It offers customers the opportunity to get a free RSPCA Approved Whole Chicken Roast if none are available to purchase within certain hours.

photo (1).jpg
A shopper shared about Coles' lesser-known policy called 'Coles Hot Chicken Promise'. Image source: Instagram/@markdownaddictsaustralia.

The bargain hunter shared her secret on social media, explaining, 'The Coles Hot Chicken Promise is available at select stores during store-specific hours. All you need to do is locate the “Our Promise” sticker on the chicken warmer.'

'If there are no available hot chickens during the specified hours on the sticker, you can ask the deli worker for a chicken voucher.'

This voucher can then be used on your next visit to Coles to pick up a free hot chicken, saving you $12.

However, the shopper warns that not all stores participate in this initiative, so it's best to double-check with the deli staff if you can't locate the 'Our Promise' sticker in the store.

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: Instagram/@markdownaddictsaustralia.

The shopper added, 'I’ve been picking up free roast chooks for about six years now when my local doesn’t have any in the warmer.'

'Does your local Coles participate? This policy is time and store-specific—my Coles is between 9 am and 8 pm.'

A Coles spokesperson confirmed the policy, stating that the vouchers must be used within seven days of being issued.

'Our RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens are one of our most purchased items across the entire supermarket,' the spokesperson said.

'As part of Coles’ RSPCA approved “Hot Roast Chicken Promise”, we strive to ensure they are available when our customers want them most.'

'As such, customers are eligible to collect a voucher for a free RSPCA Hot Roast Chicken to use within seven days if the RSPCA Hot Roast Chicken is unavailable during certain hours as stipulated on signage in the deli area of the store.'

'This “Promise” is available in most stores nationwide. However, as there are different trading hours by state/store, different stores have different time periods on their signage.'
Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie bargain hunter has been utilising Coles' Hot Chicken Promise to get free roast chickens for six years.
  • The Coles Hot Chicken Promise gives customers a voucher for a free hot roast chicken if none are available within specified hours at the store.
  • This policy has saved the shopper the cost of a chicken, around $12, each time they utilise the voucher.
  • The vouchers provided under the promise must be redeemed within seven days, and the policy is time and store-specific across Australia.
Have you ever benefited from the Coles Hot Chicken Promise? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
interesting 'policy'. Most likely as a result of this blurb the policy will be changed or the hour greatly reduced. Would never in my wildest dreams think anywhere would have cooked chooks available at 9am or expect them still to be available after 7pm. Don't think Red Rooster or similar even open before 10amish.

I've been to Woolies at 9am and they had around 15 chooks ready to buy. I've bought a free range chook for $5 at around 1.00pm.
The time that they come out the rotisserie is printed on the sticker, so if it's longer than 3 hrs the store will reduce the price of those unsold one's. Sometimes they're even cheaper, but you have to be lucky to be in store at that time as there's usually not that many available anyway.

Our Coles at Forster used to do this a few years ago and I was lucky to score a few but current management doesn't do this any more. They don't mark down leftovers either. They put leftovers in the cool room and the morning deli staff strip all the meat off them and sell it for around $20 per kilo. I occasionally get a marked down chook from Woolies if I'm in there at the right time.

Reactions: Gsr
Our Coles at Forster used to do this a few years ago and I was lucky to score a few but current management doesn't do this any more. They don't mark down leftovers either. They put leftovers in the cool room and the morning deli staff strip all the meat off them and sell it for around $20 per kilo. I occasionally get a marked down chook from Woolies if I'm in there at the right time.
That doesn't sound right, or in accordance with food safety rules.

That doesn't sound right, or in accordance with food safety rules.
Display and use of cooked foods If potentially hazardous food has not been cooled safely after cooking, the number of bacteria may be able to grow, and it may not be safe for this food to have the 2-hour/4-hour rule applied to it.Cold display You must ensure that cooked foods have been cooled in accordance with Food Standards Code requirements – that is, cooled to below 21°C within 2 hours and below 5°C within a total of 6 hours.Hot display You must display cooked foods at 60°C or above, or according to the 2-hour/4-hour rule with the time commencing immediately when the coolest part of the food drops below 60°C (i.e.,into the temperature danger zone).Bain marie and hot display cabinet temperatures should be checked and recorded periodically to ensure they are able to maintain food at or above 60°C. If they operate at a lower temperature, the 2-hour/4-hour rule is applied. You must keep cooked foods separate from raw foods to avoid them becoming cross contaminated.

I have missed out a few times, but when I have asked about the chooks, I have been told to come back in 45 minis when the next batch comes out the oven

Yes long ago as the store concerned no longer offers the deal and two other stores within a 5 to 10 minute drive do not offer but we also have a fourth store withing the parameter mentioned but I don't know if they offer the deal as they have only recently opened and I have not personally visited the store though my hubby has.

Some people have no shame. I would be too embarrassed to share this sneaky tactic on-line. I wouldn't cotemplate stooping to such depths.

I found the markdown chooks at Woolies and coles are very dry…after they have been sitting in the warmer for hours until they are eventually marked down!!

Well this will really help the rest of us ‘normal’ shoppers! Coles will need to recoup the loss on these chickens somewhere else in the store. Thanks for that Ms. Savvy Australian shopper. 🙁
Just because you're mundane never venturing off the beaten track you expect others to behave same🤦‍♀️ I appreciate the tip and will be looking out for my free chook 😁 Thanx Ms. Savvy shopper 😜

Reactions: midgemills