Shopper discovers shocking surprise inside ALDI ground beef: ‘There are more inside the meat’

Unearthing unexpected surprises in your groceries is the stuff of nightmares, but for one unsuspecting ALDI shopper, it became a bone-chilling reality.

This unsettling revelation not only raised questions about product safety but also left concerns about potential dangers that may be lurking within their everyday purchases.

A woman, who purchased a large piece of corned beef silverside from an ALDI store in Gungahlin, ACT, claims to have found what she believes to be shotgun pellets embedded in the meat.

She has since undergone an abdominal scan to ensure her safety.

The incident occurred earlier this week when the woman was preparing a meal for her two-year-old daughter. She decided to taste a piece of the meat to check if it was cooked properly.

compressed-shutterstock_2238519859.jpeg
ALDI is among the most popular go-to supermarkets of Australians for meat and other produce. Credits: Shutterstock

To her surprise, she bit into something hard and metallic. Upon closer inspection, the shopper claims to have discovered a small metal ball, which she later identified as a shotgun pellet.

'I was in a hurry, so I only added one garlic and salt. While I was tasting a piece that had just been taken out of the pot, I felt something hard and noticed that it was a metal ball,' she shared on social media.

After finding a second pellet in another piece of meat, the woman became concerned that she may have ingested some before noticing them.

ALDI Australia has responded to the incident, confirming that they are in direct contact with the customer and are investigating the matter.

'We have not received any further complaints of a similar nature. However, customers can return any product they are not satisfied with for a full refund or replacement,' a spokesperson for the company said.

The incident has sparked a debate among ALDI shoppers, with some suggesting that the objects could be whole peppercorns.

‘Take it to your local health inspector and have the object tested because if they are shotgun pellets, this is a very serious issue. The processing plants have metal detectors so this realistically shouldn’t be possible,’ one commenter said.

Others, however, including a former abattoir worker, believe that the objects do indeed resemble shotgun pellets.

‘This is not peppercorn! It’s completely round, the other [one] half is being covered by the meat. Definitely looks like something that shouldn’t be in there,’ they said.

The incident raised questions about the safety and quality control measures in place at meat processing plants.

These facilities typically use metal detectors to identify and remove foreign objects from meat. If the objects found in the ALDI beef are indeed shotgun pellets, it suggests a serious breach of these safety protocols.

It's also worth noting that livestock are not typically slaughtered with shotguns.

According to Dr Bidda Jones, a former Chief Science and Strategy Officer at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), cattle are usually killed by 'captive bolt stunning’, which is ‘basically a percussive blow to the head that renders the animal unconscious'.

While it's rare to find foreign objects in supermarket meat, it's always a good idea to check your food thoroughly before eating.

Despite these stringent measures, incidents like the one involving the ALDI shopper can occur.

When they do, it's important for consumers to report them to the supermarket and the relevant food safety authorities, allowing the issue to be investigated and any necessary action to be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future.

This is not the first time that ALDI’s products have been questioned over their quality.

Recently, a debate sparked among shoppers after a customer found unplucked feathers on her chicken wings. Commenters argued whether it was just a minor issue, while others deemed it gross and even called for better quality control. You can read more about the whole story here.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper claimed to have found what she believes are shotgun pellets within a piece of corned beef silverside purchased from the supermarket.
  • The customer reported the incident on social media, explaining that she found the objects while tasting the meat, which led her to arrange an abdominal scan to check for any pellets that may have been ingested.
  • ALDI Australia acknowledged being in direct contact with the customer, confirming they are investigating the issue to ensure their products meet safety and quality standards.
  • Reactions from ALDI shoppers were mixed, with some suggesting the objects could be peppercorns, while others agreed with the claim of shotgun pellets. ALDI’s policy allows customers to return dissatisfactory products for a full refund or replacement.
Have you ever found something unexpected in your supermarket haul? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Sometimes I wonder if the person who brings these "shocking surprises" to everyone's attention might actually work for the opposition? Things can be "planted" to try to ruin Aldi's reputation. I think that Coles & Woolworths might be getting worried about Aldi's popularity!

9 times out of 10, there are feather sheaths in a chicken wing or drumstick. Just pull them out with a pair of tweezers. This applies to all chicken vendors.

Reactions: Littleboy8
You, obviously, have never eaten Corned Beef. Correctly cooked, Corn Beef is a great meal.
I love corned beef, and my grandchildren love me to cook it for them. In the summer we have it with salad or on rolls and in winter I serve it with potatoes, cabbage, peas, carrots and a white onion sauce. YUMMMMM

Reactions: Annna and SandyM