Shopper discovers 'bizarre' secret behind a thrift store find

The thrill of the hunt, the joy of a bargain, the satisfaction of a unique find—these are the emotions that drive many vintage and secondhand shoppers.

But what happens when that 'vintage' item you've just picked up has a secret past that's not quite as glamorous as you'd hoped?

One Australian shopper recently discovered just that, and her story serves as a cautionary tale for all thrift store enthusiasts.

The shopper in question found an item labelled as a 'marble pen holder' priced at $22 in a secondhand store.

SDC Images (17).png
An Australian shopper discovered the original purpose of a secondhand item they found at an op shop. Image sources: TikTok (left), Kmart (right).

On closer inspection, however, she discovered that the item was actually a pre-owned Kmart Toilet Brush Set Marble (that one can buy new for $15—brush included!).

The worn-down Anko sticker at the bottom of the marble accessory was the giveaway.

'Beware when shopping “vintage”,' the woman shared on social media.

Her video quickly went viral, amusing Aussies—some of whom claimed to own the same Kmart toilet brush holder themselves.

'As a proud owner of that particular toilet brush holder from Kmart, I can tell you confidently that it was cheaper than $22 when I bought it a month or so ago,' one commented.

'That’s embarrassing for that shop!' another responded, while a third questioned the sanitary implications of the item, adding 'unhygienic if it’s actually been used to store the brush.'

This incident is part of a broader trend that has been frustrating Aussie thrift shoppers: the inflation of prices in secondhand stores.

Stories of overpriced op shop finds have been making the rounds, with many claiming it's now often cheaper to buy new products from stores like Kmart or Target instead of secondhand.

Last year, a Vinnies shop in Sydney's inner west received backlash from charity shop customers after one shopper discovered a designer T-shirt for $350 (though it was later priced at $100 after it was found to be a misprint).

'I don’t shop [in Vinnies] anymore. The prices on even Target-branded stuff is higher than at retail,' one person said, with others agreeing.

'Considering all the items sold at these charity organisations have been donated, no matter their brand, it is ridiculous to pay so much,' member @Catherines shared.

While member @Marian M said: 'They have become like a boutique. It is ridiculous.'

In similar news, a dress priced at a whopping $45 has sparked a heated debate about the escalating cost of living and the affordability of second-hand items in charity shops.

A customer, who was browsing through the clothes at a Sydney Vinnies store, was taken aback by the simple floral dress’ price.

The customer expressed their disappointment on social media, sparking a wave of responses from people who shared similar experiences and concerns about the rising prices in op shops.

The customer argued that Vinnies, a charity shop, should be providing affordable options for people who are struggling financially.

You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A vintage shopper warned others after discovering a 'marble pen holder' for sale at $22 was actually a pre-owned Kmart toilet brush holder, originally sold for $15 with the brush included.
  • The awkward reveal of the mislabelled item was shared on TikTok, sparking amusement and discussion among Aussies.
  • The incident highlights a trend where secondhand stores have been criticised for inflating the prices of used items, sometimes beyond the cost of new items from retailers like Kmart or Target.
  • Stories of overpriced secondhand goods, including a designer T-shirt labelled at $350 in a Vinnies shop, have led to frustration and backlash from charity shop customers and calls for more reasonable pricing.
What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar experiences while thrift shopping? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's a shopper be aware market. If the item in an op-shop is overpriced in your opinion, then bargin for what you think it is worth. If it remains too expensive leave it for someone else to buy. Go buy the said item where you can find it cheaper. Many op-shop income goes to further those in greater need and the need has never been greater, you may even have benefited from it yourselves at one time. Add to this that most op-shop workers are volunteers and we can all make mistakes. Some one who said they never made a mistake is not telling the truth.

As a volunteer at an op shop, I can confirm that clothing from kmart and big w are passed on to other recyclers, we don’t dare try to sell as the customers refuse to pay even $2 for items from these big chains.
and yes most of us are volunteers, not paid, and mistakes can and do happen

The thrill of the hunt, the joy of a bargain, the satisfaction of a unique find—these are the emotions that drive many vintage and secondhand shoppers.

But what happens when that 'vintage' item you've just picked up has a secret past that's not quite as glamorous as you'd hoped?

One Australian shopper recently discovered just that, and her story serves as a cautionary tale for all thrift store enthusiasts.

The shopper in question found an item labelled as a 'marble pen holder' priced at $22 in a secondhand store.

View attachment 40000
An Australian shopper discovered the original purpose of a secondhand item they found at an op shop. Image sources: TikTok (left), Kmart (right).

On closer inspection, however, she discovered that the item was actually a pre-owned Kmart Toilet Brush Set Marble (that one can buy new for $15—brush included!).

The worn-down Anko sticker at the bottom of the marble accessory was the giveaway.

Her video quickly went viral, amusing Aussies—some of whom claimed to own the same Kmart toilet brush holder themselves.

'As a proud owner of that particular toilet brush holder from Kmart, I can tell you confidently that it was cheaper than $22 when I bought it a month or so ago,' one commented.

'That’s embarrassing for that shop!' another responded, while a third questioned the sanitary implications of the item, adding 'unhygienic if it’s actually been used to store the brush.'

This incident is part of a broader trend that has been frustrating Aussie thrift shoppers: the inflation of prices in secondhand stores.

Stories of overpriced op shop finds have been making the rounds, with many claiming it's now often cheaper to buy new products from stores like Kmart or Target instead of secondhand.

Last year, a Vinnies shop in Sydney's inner west received backlash from charity shop customers after one shopper discovered a designer T-shirt for $350 (though it was later priced at $100 after it was found to be a misprint).

'I don’t shop [in Vinnies] anymore. The prices on even Target-branded stuff is higher than at retail,' one person said, with others agreeing.

'Considering all the items sold at these charity organisations have been donated, no matter their brand, it is ridiculous to pay so much,' member @Catherines shared.

While member @Marian M said: 'They have become like a boutique. It is ridiculous.'

In similar news, a dress priced at a whopping $45 has sparked a heated debate about the escalating cost of living and the affordability of second-hand items in charity shops.

A customer, who was browsing through the clothes at a Sydney Vinnies store, was taken aback by the simple floral dress’ price.

The customer expressed their disappointment on social media, sparking a wave of responses from people who shared similar experiences and concerns about the rising prices in op shops.

The customer argued that Vinnies, a charity shop, should be providing affordable options for people who are struggling financially.

Key Takeaways

• A vintage shopper warned others after discovering a 'marble pen holder' for sale at $22 was actually a pre-owned Kmart toilet brush holder, originally sold for $15 with the brush included.
  • The awkward reveal of the mislabelled item was shared on TikTok, sparking amusement and discussion among Aussies.
  • The incident highlights a trend where secondhand stores have been criticised for inflating the prices of used items, sometimes beyond the cost of new items from retailers like Kmart or Target.
  • Stories of overpriced secondhand goods, including a designer T-shirt labelled at $350 in a Vinnies shop, have led to frustration and backlash from charity shop customers and calls for more reasonable pricing.
What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar experiences while thrift shopping? Share your stories in the comments below.
One of our large, local big name opshops has been bought by a profit-making concern. Most of the dedicated, long-serving, volunteers have left, starting up their own small opshop nearby.
Apparently, the charity it used to be owned by receives a small amount from the takings.
As customers, we had noticed the change in the original store; it was being run on department store lines. Prices had also shot up.
We no longer patronise this shop, regardless of their "loyalty" cards.

View attachment 40000

Key Takeaways

We give to the needy and thrift stores mark up far too much. I would rather give to the Smith family. They actually help the needy.

I love browsing through opp shops for something different , while spending my money knowing it's going to help others rather than make the rich people richer.
But sadly I have noticed prices have become ridiculous and I nolonger go which upto recently I visited opp shops at least once a fortnight.

Also aren't these shops supposed to help those in need 😕

Reactions: DLHM
The thrill of the hunt, the joy of a bargain, not satisfaction of a unique find—these are the emotions that drive many vintage and secondhand shoppers.

View attachment 40000

Key Takeaways

I live on the Sunshine Coast in Qld and volunteer for a local Op Shop and yes I have become aware of overpricing in a lot of charity shops too.
However our staff, price the majority of short sleeve / length clothes at $4 & long sleeve / length clothes at $5 per item. Name brand clothes are priced higher but not by an unreasonable amount.
The general public should understand that nearly every Op Shop is staffed by volunteers who are not experts and have never worked in retail and are not familiar with all brands. We do our best, don't always get it right, but I'm proud of the shop and staff where I work. We don't price items to intentionally rip you off. 😊

View attachment 40000

Key Takeaways

I go to op shops all the time and the prices they have on shoes and clothing are stupit also broken stuff they still try to sell it.

I go to op shops all the time and the prices they have on shoes and clothing are stupit also broken stuff they still try to sell it.
I like to browse op shops accassionally, but have noticed that prices have increased alot over the years. I have seen things that are very overpriced in some shops, yet others are cheap like they should be. I like to get my dog a couple of good thick bowls which can go in the microwave for when I heat up her tea. You can find some good kitchen items like good old Tupperware, great for sealing out the humidity in the spices.

As a volunteer at an op shop, I can confirm that clothing from kmart and big w are passed on to other recyclers, we don’t dare try to sell as the customers refuse to pay even $2 for items from these big chains.
and yes most of us are volunteers, not paid, and mistakes can and do happen
I just bought a Kmart item so that doesn’t figure. Luckily I bought it at 50% off but seen many in op shops.

I wont volunteer in the religious type op shops. I support Retirement home type shops. Because everyone will get old and frail and in need of care, and our money helps purchase those lifting equipments, bus for day outs, and much more as well. I used to work at the RSPCA, no more. That is a money making racket now,
how much really helps the animals?

One of our large, local big name opshops has been bought by a profit-making concern. Most of the dedicated, long-serving, volunteers have left, starting up their own small opshop nearby.
Apparently, the charity it used to be owned by receives a small amount from the takings.
As customers, we had noticed the change in the original store; it was being run on department store lines. Prices had also shot up.
We no longer patronise this shop, regardless of their "loyalty" cards.
I wonder if this is about SAVERS shops. The Diabetes Association sends trucks to pick up unwanted goods from people and these goods are then taken to SAVERS shops. The Diabetes Association then gets some money according to how many bags or items are picked up.

It's a shopper be aware market. If the item in an op-shop is overpriced in your opinion, then bargin for what you think it is worth. If it remains too expensive leave it for someone else to buy. Go buy the said item where you can find it cheaper. Many op-shop income goes to further those in greater need and the need has never been greater, you may even have benefited from it yourselves at one time. Add to this that most op-shop workers are volunteers and we can all make mistakes. Some one who said they never made a mistake is not telling the truth.
I am a volunteer worker for vinnies some of the other volunteers have said some of these prices are rather outrageous.

I wont volunteer in the religious type op shops. I support Retirement home type shops. Because everyone will get old and frail and in need of care, and our money helps purchase those lifting equipments, bus for day outs, and much more as well. I used to work at the RSPCA, no more. That is a money making racket now,
how much really helps the animals?
Fair enough too .

I like to browse op shops accassionally, but have noticed that prices have increased alot over the years. I have seen things that are very overpriced in some shops, yet others are cheap like they should be. I like to get my dog a couple of good thick bowls which can go in the microwave for when I heat up her tea. You can find some good kitchen items like good old Tupperware, great for sealing out the humidity in the spices.
I have bought a few Tupperware bowls from where I am volunteering.

I live on the Sunshine Coast in Qld and volunteer for a local Op Shop and yes I have become aware of overpricing in a lot of charity shops too.
However our staff, price the majority of short sleeve / length clothes at $4 & long sleeve / length clothes at $5 per item. Name brand clothes are priced higher but not by an unreasonable amount.
The general public should understand that nearly every Op Shop is staffed by volunteers who are not experts and have never worked in retail and are not familiar with all brands. We do our best, don't always get it right, but I'm proud of the shop and staff where I work. We don't price items to intentionally rip you off. 😊
I am a volunteer at vinnies & going from industrial work to retail especially after 24 years is a very new experience for me.

It is rather disgraceful that the so called op shops, that are to make money for charity ,are ripping customers off with their high prices. These items are donated, not paid for by the opp shops. If their prices are reasonable the items will sell but because being overpriced it remains in their stores instead of turning over.