Shopper claps back to Woolworths' latest basket tweak: ‘Those are the worst’

Change can be tricky, especially when it comes to our tried-and-true shopping routines.

Recently, some Woolworths patrons have found themselves grappling with a change that's left them with aching arms and a touch of frustration.

The culprit? Woolworths' new single-handled shopping baskets.

Last year, Woolworths and Coles introduced new baskets made from recycled materials in a commendable nod to environmental concerns.

The standout feature of these baskets is their single handle, a stark contrast to the double-handled ones shoppers were accustomed to.

While these baskets have been around for a few months, shoppers seem only now to be accepting that they're here to stay, and not everyone is thrilled.

1_20240723_083528_0000.png
A shopper was disappointed with Woolworths’ basket change. Credit: @elohzed / TikTok

One shopper, in particular, has voiced her displeasure quite vocally. During a shopping trip at the Parramatta Woolworths in Sydney's west, Loz struggled to balance her groceries in the new basket design.

‘It's extremely difficult to hold particularly as a shorter person. The weight distribution is completely off once the basket becomes more than half full,’ Loz said.

‘Not to mention the baskets are way bigger, and the shape is super bulky, so it bangs into people and things more easily.’

‘I like to hold my basket like a handbag in my elbow as I’m short, and this also keeps it closer to my core, which is better for my back…these new baskets make that impossible as the handle is the wrong way,’ she added.

While Loz acknowledged that her complaint might seem 'petty' and a 'first world problem', she couldn't help but speculate that the design change might be a strategic move by Woolworths and Coles.

She suspected that the supermarkets hope customers will opt for trolleys instead of baskets, potentially leading them to 'subconsciously buy more.'

Her witty retort to the situation didn't stop there. Loz quipped that while Woolworths might be 'the fresh food people’, they're certainly not 'the basket people'.

She pleaded for the return of the original double-handled baskets, which she found 'much better’.

The online community has rallied around Loz's sentiments, and many shoppers have shared their criticisms of the single-handled baskets.

Some have even joked about creating makeshift shopping solutions, like ‘buy a laundry basket and glue some wheels and handle on it’.

‘Those baskets are the worst. Hurt my arm,’ one said, and others said they ‘hated’ it and thought they were ‘terrible’.

However, not everyone is on board with the basket backlash.

‘No need to brag about overloading your basket, lady,’ one man said.

‘Stop complaining about the basket and start complaining about their prices,’ another expressed.

You can watch Loz’s video below:

Credit: @elohzed / TikTok

It's worth noting that the new Woolworths baskets are made from 18 recycled milk bottles, aligning with the supermarket's Sustainability Plan.

This initiative is part of a broader effort to reduce environmental impact, which is certainly a step in the right direction.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths shoppers are expressing frustration with the supermarket's new single-handled baskets, claiming they are hard to hold and poorly balanced.
  • A customer named Loz criticised the design of the new baskets, sharing that they are not user-friendly for shorter people and were awkwardly shaped.
  • Some shoppers speculate that Woolies and Coles may have introduced the new basket design to encourage customers to use trolleys and potentially buy more items.
  • Despite the backlash, the environmentally-friendly baskets, made from recycled milk bottles, are a part of Woolworths' Sustainability Plan, contributing to their environmental commitments.
Have you found the single-handle baskets cumbersome, or have you adapted to the change? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored