Shocking Truth About Funeral Insurance - Are You Being Taken for a Ride?

For many years, Australian pensioners have been signing up for funeral insurance plans to make sure their loved ones won’t be left with any financial burden when they pass away.

But a recent investigation by A Current Affair has revealed just how vulnerable pensioners can be when it comes to funeral insurance policies, with many feeling taken for a ride.

Retired builder and pensioner Alan Day said he contacted Insuranceline in 2008 expecting a funeral plan but ended up with an insurance plan.

'I think I got it off the TV … no papers to fill in, no doctors to go and see. Just a “yes” over the phone really, and your name and address,' Day told A Current Affair.

Danielle, his daughter, claims that she did not know Day's selfless intentions when he began making monthly payments of $30.

pexels-photo-3760067.jpeg

After spending tens of thousands on funeral insurance, some Australian retirees who didn't want to burden their relatives claim they feel cheated. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

She now suspects that her father has been misled.

Danielle shared: ‘That was in 2008, and then it just slyly got up.’

‘I thought it was the same as putting it into a bank, and all the money I was putting into it was the funeral fund, and she would get it when I passed away.’

‘It clearly states “funeral plan”.’

Danielle initially found out about the transfer payments while reviewing her father's pension.

However, she soon realised that the payments were not for a funeral but rather an insurance plan.

Perplexed as to why her father's pension was always running out, Danielle began investigating further.

Danielle said: ‘I'm looking at it and thinking, “What the heck is this”?’

She remembered her father's reply, ‘Oh, that's my funeral insurance.’

Danielle continued: ‘I said, “It’s nearly $200 a fortnight”.’

‘That threw up the alarm bells for me, so I contacted Insuranceline myself and said, “What's going on?”.’

Day has already paid $33,000 towards his ‘funeral plan’.

Danielle pointed out: ‘He's supposed to pay it until 90, the age of 90 and that's another $25,000, so all up they're getting $60,000 for a payout of $26,222.’

‘If I was paying something like that, I would expect a heck of a lot more than what that's prepared to pay out.’

‘$26,000, for $198 a fortnight.’

‘I've paid more than $30,000 and I'm only worth $26,000 when I die.’ said Alan.

Brian Rankin, also a pensioner, had a similar story to tell after his funeral insurance payments added up to more than $30,000 over a period of 15 years.

'Both my wife and I are covered for $10,000 each, and at this stage of the game I’ve paid well over $30,000,' Rankin told A Current Affair.

Even with the premium guarantee, Rankin was told he still had to keep paying until the age of 90, which is a long time when you’re 80 years old.

Rankin, after being appalled by the revelations emerging from the banking royal commission, decided to reach out to Insuranceline.

He continued: ‘I got a phone call about two days later from some woman and she said, “We'll drop your premiums down from $86 a fortnight to $2.21 a fortnight”.’

According to insurance expert Steve Manning, it is crucial to approach funeral insurance with a clear understanding of the risks involved.

‘One should assume that they will live for a considerable amount of time and should be able to finance their insurance for that period,’ he advised.

In 2018, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) directed Insuranceline to reimburse nearly one million dollars to its funeral insurance customers due to the company's failure to discontinue the annual cost of living increases on premiums for customers aged 75 and above.

Manning suggests that opting for premium-guaranteed funeral insurance can be a safeguard for your loved ones after you pass away. However, there are alternative ways to pay for your funeral expenses before you die.

For example, one could consider pre-paying a specific funeral director, investing in a funeral bond, or even opening a high-interest savings account.

While insurance remains an option, it is worth noting that if you living for more than an average of six years after obtaining the policy, you will end up paying more than what the insurance firm will ultimately pay out.

0bcc1a2f-3161-3187-a85d-9c631a65e57e copy.png
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) ordered Insuranceline to repay its clients who purchased funeral insurance for over $1 million in 2018. Credit: Insuranceline/Facebook.

Insuranceline, a provider of funeral insurance products, emphasises that their customers are purchasing insurance products and not funeral savings products.

The company's funeral insurance is said to offer peace of mind that funeral costs will be covered, removing the burden from family and friends. Insuranceline prides itself on paying claims within 24-48 hours and consistently receives top-tier customer satisfaction scores.

Claims for Insuranceline's products can be made at any time after the policy commences, and for the vast majority of customers, the premiums paid are significantly less than the claim amount received.

Last year, the company's customers received a total of $60 million in funeral insurance claim benefits, with the majority of beneficiaries receiving more in claim benefits than the total premiums paid.

As an insurance company, Insuranceline pools individual risks to provide a community benefit. Customers' premiums are paid into the risk pool, which is then used to cover the financial impacts of specific events for all customers within the risk pool.

Some customers will have paid less in premiums than others when they or their beneficiaries make a claim, while others will have paid more.

Key Takeaways
  • Some Australian pensioners feel taken for a ride after purchasing funeral insurance policies costing tens of thousands of dollars.
  • Retired builder and pensioner Alan Day has already paid $33,000 for his funeral insurance policy and is expected to pay another $25,000 by turning 90, for a payout of only $26,222.
  • Brian Rankin, 80, has paid over $30,000 for a funeral policy with Insuranceline since 2003, covering him and his wife for $10,000 each.
  • Insurance expert Steve Manning recommends consumers consider different ways of paying for funeral costs, such as pre-paying to a specific funeral director, funeral bonds, or a high-interest savings account.

We acknowledge the significance of safeguarding loved ones, and as such, strongly advise those exploring funeral insurance to conduct their own research, seek clarification by asking questions, and ensure the product is suitable for their specific needs and family.

Have you ever had an unpleasant (or positive) experience purchasing funeral insurance? Share your story to help protect other members from being taken advantage of.

We also recommend checking out this article where we share how one can cope financially after a loved one dies.

Sponsored
For many years, Australian pensioners have been signing up for funeral insurance plans to make sure their loved ones won’t be left with any financial burden when they pass away.

But a recent investigation by A Current Affair has revealed just how vulnerable pensioners can be when it comes to funeral insurance policies, with many feeling taken for a ride.

Retired builder and pensioner Alan Day said he contacted Insuranceline in 2008 expecting a funeral plan but ended up with an insurance plan.

'I think I got it off the TV … no papers to fill in, no doctors to go and see. Just a “yes” over the phone really, and your name and address,' Day told A Current Affair.

Danielle, his daughter, claims that she did not know Day's selfless intentions when he began making monthly payments of $30.

After spending tens of thousands on funeral insurance, some Australian retirees who didn't want to burden their relatives claim they feel cheated. Credit: Pexels/Andrea Piacquadio.

‘I thought it was the same as putting it into a bank, and all the money I was putting into it was the funeral fund, and she would get it when I passed away.’

Danielle initially found out about the transfer payments while reviewing her father's pension.

However, she soon realised that the payments were not for a funeral but rather an insurance plan.

Perplexed as to why her father's pension was always running out, Danielle began investigating further.

‘That threw up the alarm bells for me, so I contacted Insuranceline myself and said, “What's going on?”.’

Danielle pointed out: ‘He's supposed to pay it until 90, the age of 90 and that's another $25,000, so all up they're getting $60,000 for a payout of $26,222.’

‘If I was paying something like that, I would expect a heck of a lot more than what that's prepared to pay out.’

Brian Rankin, also a pensioner, had a similar story to tell after his funeral insurance payments added up to more than $30,000 over a period of 15 years.

'Both my wife and I are covered for $10,000 each, and at this stage of the game I’ve paid well over $30,000,' Rankin told A Current Affair.

Even with the premium guarantee, Rankin was told he still had to keep paying until the age of 90, which is a long time when you’re 80 years old.

Rankin, after being appalled by the revelations emerging from the banking royal commission, decided to reach out to Insuranceline.

He continued: ‘I got a phone call about two days later from some woman and she said, “We'll drop your premiums down from $86 a fortnight to $2.21 a fortnight”.’

According to insurance expert Steve Manning, it is crucial to approach funeral insurance with a clear understanding of the risks involved.

‘One should assume that they will live for a considerable amount of time and should be able to finance their insurance for that period,’ he advised.

In 2018, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) directed Insuranceline to reimburse nearly one million dollars to its funeral insurance customers due to the company's failure to discontinue the annual cost of living increases on premiums for customers aged 75 and above.

Manning suggests that opting for premium-guaranteed funeral insurance can be a safeguard for your loved ones after you pass away. However, there are alternative ways to pay for your funeral expenses before you die.

For example, one could consider pre-paying a specific funeral director, investing in a funeral bond, or even opening a high-interest savings account.

While insurance remains an option, it is worth noting that if you living for more than an average of six years after obtaining the policy, you will end up paying more than what the insurance firm will ultimately pay out.

View attachment 17583
The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) ordered Insuranceline to repay its clients who purchased funeral insurance for over $1 million in 2018. Credit: Insuranceline/Facebook.

Insuranceline, a provider of funeral insurance products, emphasises that their customers are purchasing insurance products and not funeral savings products.

The company's funeral insurance is said to offer peace of mind that funeral costs will be covered, removing the burden from family and friends. Insuranceline prides itself on paying claims within 24-48 hours and consistently receives top-tier customer satisfaction scores.

Claims for Insuranceline's products can be made at any time after the policy commences, and for the vast majority of customers, the premiums paid are significantly less than the claim amount received.

Last year, the company's customers received a total of $60 million in funeral insurance claim benefits, with the majority of beneficiaries receiving more in claim benefits than the total premiums paid.

As an insurance company, Insuranceline pools individual risks to provide a community benefit. Customers' premiums are paid into the risk pool, which is then used to cover the financial impacts of specific events for all customers within the risk pool.

Some customers will have paid less in premiums than others when they or their beneficiaries make a claim, while others will have paid more.

Key Takeaways

• Some Australian pensioners feel taken for a ride after purchasing funeral insurance policies costing tens of thousands of dollars.
  • Retired builder and pensioner Alan Day has already paid $33,000 for his funeral insurance policy and is expected to pay another $25,000 by turning 90, for a payout of only $26,222.
  • Brian Rankin, 80, has paid over $30,000 for a funeral policy with Insuranceline since 2003, covering him and his wife for $10,000 each.
  • Insurance expert Steve Manning recommends consumers consider different ways of paying for funeral costs, such as pre-paying to a specific funeral director, funeral bonds, or a high-interest savings account.

We acknowledge the significance of safeguarding loved ones, and as such, strongly advise those exploring funeral insurance to conduct their own research, seek clarification by asking questions, and ensure the product is suitable for their specific needs and family.

Have you ever had an unpleasant (or positive) experience purchasing funeral insurance? Share your story to help protect other members from being taken advantage of.

We also recommend checking out this article where we share how one can cope financially after a loved one dies.

I had a career in the Insurance Industry for 52 years, in Australia, London and the Philippines and have known without reservation that so called "Funeral Plans" are a total ripoff scam designed by clever marketers to rob unsuspecting people by false narratives. Any person who has one of the "Plans" has been lied to. The "Plans" are not what they are represented to be.
They are the last thing any person would want to be involved with.
We talk constantly about scams being part of our everyday , but this is right up there with the worst of them, as they have been perpetuated for many years. They are sold as being fantastic investments, but it is all a lie.
Similar to 'Time Share", another scam that is still being marketed.

It just shows how corrupt these insurance companies are how can they suddenly drop a payment from $86 a fortnight to $2.21 a fortnight if that's not corrupt I don't know what is I don't have funeral insurance my kids know there will be money for our funerals when we go

I was tempted to buy a insurance funeral plan after my husband
passed suddenly in 2019, looking further into decided it wasn’t what I thought it would be
,just a warning to I received a email about Pay Pal trying to take money from my bank account
no name on it ,plus I do not use PayPal

I had a career in the Insurance Industry for 52 years, in Australia, London and the Philippines and have known without reservation that so called "Funeral Plans" are a total ripoff scam designed by clever marketers to rob unsuspecting people by false narratives. Any person who has one of the "Plans" has been lied to. The "Plans" are not what they are represented to be.
They are the last thing any person would want to be involved with.
We talk constantly about scams being part of our everyday , but this is right up there with the worst of them, as they have been perpetuated for many years. They are sold as being fantastic investments, but it is all a lie.
Similar to 'Time Share", another scam that is still being marketed.
So what is it, from your asserted expertise that Funeral Insurance Plans provide (or more importantly, do not provide) which is different to what is generally believed they provide. From your stated expertise, a simple answer (not a generalisation) should be possible.

Why does it come as a surprise that funeral plans are insurance funds? The fact that they will pay the insured amount regardless of how much a person may have paid in contributions, indicates that it is an insurance.

I have suggested in conversations that people should use some other vehicle to cover their funeral expenses and have been called heartless to leave the burden of my funeral to my children.

Reactions: Ezzy
Why waste a lot of money on all the trappings of a funeral when you can prepay a BARE funeral? This will pay for a cremation with no frills like attendants or an audience to view your departure. This is what I have chosen after being in another funeral plan for 5 years. Luckily I got more than I had paid back plus some recompense every 2 years. This was a nice pick up 2 years ago but with life going on it didn't last long.

Why waste a lot of money on all the trappings of a funeral when you can prepay a BARE funeral? This will pay for a cremation with no frills like attendants or an audience to view your departure. This is what I have chosen after being in another funeral plan for 5 years. Luckily I got more than I had paid back plus some recompense every 2 years. This was a nice pick up 2 years ago but with life going on it didn't last long.
I wouldn't prepay a funeral. How do you know that the business you give your money to, doesn't go into liquidation? As an unsecured creditor you would be left empty handed.

Do people really need $26,000 for a funeral? We had a beautiful funeral for my Mum a few years ago for $6000. That included the grave, interrment, funeral, casket, flowers, newspaper notices, afternoon tea, everything.

Do people really need $26,000 for a funeral? We had a beautiful funeral for my Mum a few years ago for $6000. That included the grave, interrment, funeral, casket, flowers, newspaper notices, afternoon tea, everything.
I don't want anyone to come to my funeral as I don't believe in life after death. So I am happy for the word to get around after the event. Why waste money on flowers I would like them now when I can appreciate them& why have a grave that no one will want to maintain?

View attachment 17583

Key Takeaways

We had a guest speaker from a funeral business and he advised us not to take out insurance, The majority of his audience were over 65.

I will not take out a funeral plan as I am leaving everything to my children and they can use that to pay for it all!!!!

I was tempted to buy a insurance funeral plan after my husband
passed suddenly in 2019, looking further into decided it wasn’t what I thought it would be
,just a warning to I received a email about Pay Pal trying to take money from my bank account
no name on it ,plus I do not use PayPal
SCAM.

Reactions: Shane/#

View attachment 17583

Key Takeaways

Anything that has insurance on it will be in it for themselves best to go to a reputable funeral company and pay into their funeral plan or as I have insurance through my superannuation account which is payed out on my death

My Husband and I have put money into a Funeral Bond with Australian Unity.
The money can only be taken out when we die, and we get interest on the money.
Of course, Australian Unity take a small amount for administration costs, but we already have more in each account than the $10,000 we put in for each of us.
Our Financial Adviser said this was better than a pre-paid funeral plan, because what if me moved away interstate for example and that Company didn't exist near our new address. Also, Centrelink does not count this as an asset because it can only be redeemed on our death.

Fools and their their name-sake narcissism money for a funeral. It is sort of 'I'm in love with myself and I expect a funeral.'

Do the sensible thing that I have planned and that's for about $3,000-$5,000 to allow transportation of my body straight to the crematorium, then immediate cremation, ashes tossed into the ground with others that are like minded. No Funeral Service whatsoever. No Head Stone.

Really, why do people expect living people to attend funerals, even travel interstate or overseas and incur all those expenses just because they are still alive. Airfares, taxis, car hire, hotel. I don't have that kind of money and I'm the youngest of nine. One brother has already passed away in the same city that I am in. But most now all over the place. Come'On people wake and smell the daisies.

I will not take out a funeral plan as I am leaving everything to my children and they can use that to pay for it all!!!!
Even that is a waste of money. Please reconsider and no funeral service. Just cremated and ashes tossed into the ground with others and no head stone. That's what I'm doing. What I want.

Fools and their their name-sake narcissism money for a funeral. It is sort of 'I'm in love with myself and I expect a funeral.'

Do the sensible thing that I have planned and that's for about $3,000-$5,000 to allow transportation of my body straight to the crematorium, then immediate cremation, ashes tossed into the ground with others that are like minded. No Funeral Service whatsoever. No Head Stone.

Really, why do people expect living people to attend funerals, even travel interstate or overseas and incur all those expenses just because they are still alive. Airfares, taxis, car hire, hotel. I don't have that kind of money and I'm the youngest of nine. One brother has already passed away in the same city that I am in. But most now all over the place. Come'On people wake and smell the daisies.
I am no FOOL or am I NARCISSTIC, and your comment is highly offensive.
People have a choice, I chose paying for my husbands funeral, just in case the un
foreseen happens at the same time.

We pre-paid our funeral years ago with a Funeral Co to take this burden off our 4 children when we pass. They will still need to arrange funeral notices. We have seen first hand what stresses choosing a coffin etc causes & wanted to spare them this part of the process. They were upset when told but understood our reasoning.