Shocking study: Why eating snake could be more eco-friendly than eating beef or chicken

As we become more conscious of our environmental footprint, many of us are looking for ways to live more sustainably. One area that's drawing attention is our diet, particularly the impact of meat consumption on the planet.

In a surprising twist, scientists are now suggesting that eating snakes, such as pythons, could be a more eco-friendly option than traditional meats like beef or chicken.

But before you turn up your nose at the thought, experts explained why this could be a game-changer for the environment.

The study in question, conducted by experts from Macquarie University in Sydney, presented a compelling case for considering python meat as a viable alternative.

Pythons, which are already a staple in some Southeast Asian diets, have several ecological advantages over conventional livestock.

compressed-pexels-diego-madrigal-2062316.jpeg
A study revealed that python meat could be an eco-friendly alternative to beef or chicken. Image source: Pexels

For starters, they require less food and energy to grow, as they don't need to eat as often and can survive long periods without food.

This means that python farming could potentially use fewer resources and have a smaller environmental impact than traditional livestock farming.

The research, led by Dr Daniel Natusch, involved measuring the growth rates of two species of large pythons—the reticulated python and the Burmese python—on farms in Thailand and Vietnam.

These non-venomous snakes are already farmed in Asia for their skin and meat, and the study found that they can grow rapidly over a 12-month period with minimal feeding.

This is in stark contrast to chickens and cows, which require constant feeding and large amounts of land, contributing to deforestation and other environmental issues.

‘Cold-blooded reptiles ... are hugely more efficient at turning the food they eat into more flesh and body tissue than any warm-blooded creature ever could,’ Dr Natusch explained.

Moreover, the study found that pythons can survive without food for several months, lose weight at a slow rate, and resume rapid growth once feeding recommences.

This resilience and efficiency make them an intriguing option for sustainable protein production, especially in a future where resource volatility may increase due to climatic and economic changes.

But what does python meat taste like? According to Dr Natusch, who has sampled the meat himself, python is 'tasty and versatile', often compared to chicken but with a chewier texture.

It can be prepared in various ways, from barbecued to satay skewers to curries.

Python meat is also low in fat and calories and rich in protein, nutrients, and essential amino acids, making it a healthy choice for those looking to maintain a balanced diet.

Despite its potential benefits, the idea of eating python is still quite foreign in other countries.

However, there have been instances where python meat has been introduced to the menu, such as in the US, where Burmese pythons are considered an invasive species.

There, python has been served on pizzas alongside other exotic meats like alligator sausage and frog legs.

The study's findings suggested that commercial python farming could be a feasible and sustainable food production option globally, but it also highlighted the need for further research into the most effective and humane ways to produce them.

As with any form of animal farming, welfare standards and ethical considerations must be at the forefront of this potential industry.

While the thought of eating a snake might make some squeamish, it's important to remember that dietary choices are deeply cultural and subjective.

What may seem unusual in one part of the world could be completely normal in another. As we face the challenges of feeding a growing population while protecting our planet, it's worth considering all options—even those that might initially seem out of the ordinary.

Key Takeaways
  • Researchers from Macquarie University in Sydney argued that eating snakes, such as pythons, is more environmentally sustainable than eating traditional meats like beef, chicken, or fish.
  • The study monitored the growth rates of large pythons in farms and found that they grow rapidly despite not requiring frequent feeding, suggesting python farming could be efficient.
  • Python meat is considered low in fat and calories but rich in protein, nutrients, and essential amino acids, making it a potentially sustainable food source.
  • While pythons are already consumed in Southeast Asia, the study proposed that python farming could be a viable food production method globally, subject to further research into humane and effective farming practices.

What do you think of this study, members? Have you tried snake meat? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Another 'replacement' meat should be politicians. These reptiles are bad for the environment and society and putting them on the plate can solve many problems in our country such as keeping their hands off our farmers who protect our food basket.

And what do we grow to feed these carnivors? Mice, Bin Chickens, possums, chooks?
Lets all eat tarantulas, or locusts. I have and if cooked properly, they taste ok.
As for Almond "milk"..( talk about mislabelling) growing almonds is one of THE most water intensive farming

• Haha
Reactions: Lolali and Bridgit
I'd have a go. Tastes like chicken they say. But I think it's unlikely to bother beef production.

Reactions: Bridgit
Around 65 to 70 years ago my late husband (who was always up to pranks) took a snake, red bellyed black, to the small local hospital and told them it was an eel. I n those days locals were often donating food. I am not sure of the result as I had not met him at that stage.

• Haha
Reactions: Lolali and Bridgit
ALF said CATS TASTE LIKE CHICKEN if you remember ALF tv show.Snake CANBERRA is full of them any reduction would be a blessing and leave the farmers do what they do best.ALBO bbq might be worth a try a long as you dont do it WONG and toasted Nigel BOWEN done in an AIRplane fryer could have merits to lower the cost of electricity if only no gas or coal used in making these comments.

Another 'replacement' meat should be politicians. These reptiles are bad for the environment and society and putting them on the plate can solve many problems in our country such as keeping their hands off our farmers who protect our food basket.
Couldn't agree more, sick of authorities, loony gteenies and the WEF pushing they noxious agenda down our throat!

Reactions: IAN3005 and Bridgit
This is so enlightening to read how many people are 'AWAKE'!! It was not that long ago I couldn't have conversations regarding Biden, Gates, Faucci, WEF, WHO, and many, many others. It gives me faith, thank you!

not sure I’d even try snake. I did try crocodile once, wasn’t too bad, but not something I’d eat regularly. Maybe I’ll have to become a vegetarian or vegan.

This is so enlightening to read how many people are 'AWAKE'!! It was not that long ago I couldn't have conversations regarding Biden, Gates, Faucci, WEF, WHO, and many, many others. It gives me faith, thank you!
You forgot Schwab!

Interesting, never thought of it but a snake steak could be quite good.
I pretty much everything as long as it is healthy so it could actually be a viable option one day. Asians are way ahead of us in that aspect.

Reactions: IAN3005
Interesting, never thought of it but a snake steak could be quite good.
I pretty much everything as long as it is healthy so it could actually be a viable option one day. Asians are way ahead of us in that aspect.
The Thai's eat anything that moves or not.