Shocking 'sexist' complaint leads to drastic changes at popular kids' play centre - see what's been removed!

In a world where we're constantly striving for equality and teaching our children about respect and appropriate behavior, it's surprising to find remnants of outdated and sexist attitudes lurking in places as innocent as a children's play centre. But that's exactly what happened at Tiddlywinks Dance and Play centre in Brisbane, where a bathroom sign with questionable humor recently sparked controversy and led to its removal.

The sign, which had been a fixture in the boys' bathroom for 15 years, listed a series of tasks to 'please a woman,' including actions like 'love her,' 'die for her,' and 'miss the game for her.' The punchline, aimed at contrasting the complexity of pleasing women with the simplicity of pleasing men, read, 'How to please a man: Show up naked, bring beer.' While intended as a joke, the message didn't sit well with a concerned uncle attending his niece's birthday party at the facility.

photo (14).jpg
An Aussie kids' play centre removed a controversial bathroom sign after a customer deemed it inappropriate and sexist. Credits: Reddit / u/Shootz

Upon noticing the sign, the man took a photo and promptly alerted the staff, sharing his concerns that the sign's messaging was 'very inappropriate' and 'sexist,' especially in a space frequented by young boys aged 5-12. He didn't stop there; he also shared the image with other parents and sent a follow-up email to ensure the matter was addressed.

The customer's actions prompted a swift response from the centre's owner, who acknowledged the complaint and agreed to remove the sign. The owner explained that the sign was meant to be a bit of fun for the adult evenings hosted at the venue and had never been flagged as an issue before. However, they recognized the potential impact on young minds and did not intend to offend anyone.

The incident and the subsequent removal of the sign sparked a heated debate online. While some found humor in the situation, many others expressed their disgust, calling the sign 'gross,' 'creepy,' and a piece of 'bulls**t messaging for young men.' Critics argued that such jokes contribute to harmful stereotypes and have no place in a family-friendly environment—or any environment, for that matter.

Interestingly, amidst the serious discussion about the sign's content, some social media users couldn't help but comment on the aesthetic choice of using multiple fonts, humorously suggesting that the design choice was as offensive as the message itself.

This incident serves as a reminder that humor can be subjective, and what may have been considered harmless fun years ago might not align with today's values and standards. It's essential for businesses, especially those catering to children, to be mindful of the messages they're promoting, intentionally or not.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we understand the importance of fostering environments that reflect the values we want to pass on to our grandchildren. It's heartening to see that when concerns are raised, they can lead to positive change. We encourage our members to continue advocating for spaces that are welcoming and respectful to all.
Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie kids play centre removed a controversial bathroom sign after a customer complained it was inappropriate and sexist.
  • The sign offered stereotyped advice on how to please women and men, deemed by many to be unfit for a children's facility.
  • The centre's owner acknowledged the complaint, stating that the sign was meant as a joke for adult events and agreed to take it down.
  • The issue sparked a mixed reaction online, with some criticising the sexist message and others joking about the sign's use of different fonts.
What are your thoughts on the sign and its removal? Have you encountered similar situations where outdated humor was displayed in inappropriate settings? Share your stories and opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Not appropriate for today. We are trying to change attitudes, it's not funny at all. It's so deroctive. I have a good sense of humour. But this is so out dated.
Kind regards to all Vicki

• Love
Reactions: marni
Not appropriate for today. We are trying to change attitudes, it's not funny at all. It's so deroctive. I have a good sense of humour. But this is so out dated.
Kind regards to all Vicki
lighten up vicky. jokes are jokes not to be taken seriously. i will start this lal laugh a little.

lighten up vicky. jokes are jokes not to be taken seriously. i will start this lal laugh a little.
Yes l love a joke, but woman have been repressed for so long.
Maybe l just would like to think my grandaughters and grandsons will have better attitudes to life.
Maybe you are right l might need to lighten up🤣😔
Have a lovely night.
Kind regards Vicki 😁

• Love
Reactions: marni
I know this is a senior site, but really is such a shame that they wish to continue stereotypes that should have been ceased a long time ago. Supposed Humour can hide a lot of issues and can definitely influence.

Reactions: BellaB18
It is my goal, everyday, to make at least ONE person, that is not brain dead, to smile(great!), chuckle(even better!!) or laugh(f@#$%^* fantastic!!!).
Most of you that have read my posts will have noticed that I have a "zany" sense of humour, for those that don't find any of them funny enough to even raise a smile I feel deeply and gravely sorry.
So having got as far as this subject, it is time for me to move on and find another site where HUMOUR however risque or not is the word.

It is my goal, everyday, to make at least ONE person, that is not brain dead, to smile(great!), chuckle(even better!!) or laugh(f@#$%^* fantastic!!!).
Most of you that have read my posts will have noticed that I have a "zany" sense of humour, for those that don't find any of them funny enough to even raise a smile I feel deeply and gravely sorry.
So having got as far as this subject, it is time for me to move on and find another site where HUMOUR however risque or not is the word.
Did you really have to announce your departure? Time to move on