Shocking revelation: Canberrans outed as Woolworths' top shoplifters

We all know supermarkets are big businesses, and unfortunately, shoplifting can be a sad reality that leaves businesses and customers bearing the brunt of the losses. But you might be surprised to find out where in Australia this crime is most prevalent.

Canberrans, you may want to look away now.

Residents of our nation's capital have gained an unwanted reputation, given a recent report revealing that people living in Canberra are the worst Woolworths shoplifters in the country.

shutterstock_1690627621.jpg
Canberra Woolworths stores get stolen from the most. Image source: Shutterstock.

According to data obtained by The Canberra Times, Australia's capital had the highest national average theft rate within Woolworths supermarket stores. The data showed that each of the Australian Capital Territory's 15 Woolworths stores has experienced over $1.1 million in losses due to thieving in the past year alone.

But what specific items are these cunning crooks after? You might be surprised to learn that one high-priced product on the hit list is – wait for it – baby formula. However, other unexpected items that are commonly stolen from supermarkets include luxury meats, cosmetics, and even alcohol.

The numbers show that baby formula is being stolen off the shelves of Canberra Woolworths stores at higher rates than in other parts of Australia. The city's stores lost more than $18,000 worth of the product in the last year, which is twice the average store loss in Victoria, for instance.

Analysts and social researchers suggest a contributing factor to this increase in shoplifting rates could be the rising cost-of-living pressures faced by many Australians. So while we might be quick to point fingers, it's essential to remember that behind the statistics, there are often people struggling to make ends meet.

Additionally, psychological factors and the stress of the COVID-19 pandemic might have played a part in driving individuals to shoplifting.

The two Woolworths stores hit hardest in Canberra were those located in Dickson and at the territory's airport. In total, over 5.27 million items worth a staggering $16.27 million were stolen in the city.

Interestingly, although states like New South Wales and Victoria experienced higher total losses – $217 million across 287 stores in NSW, for example – it's the concentration of thefts within fewer stores in the ACT that has led to Canberra being crowned the worst shoplifting capital of Australia.

Now you might be wondering, what does this mean for the honest, rule-abiding customers out there? Well, losses incurred by big-chain supermarkets like Woolworths from theft could trickle down to the consumers, leading to higher prices for everyday items to compensate for the losses. However, Woolworths declined to comment on this matter.

Some notable anti-theft efforts made by Woolworths and other supermarket chains in Australia include utilising technology solutions like surveillance cameras and product tracking systems. They have also implemented purchasing restrictions like only allowing customers to buy two tins of baby formula at a time.

As of now, it remains uncertain if or how these new revelations might affect their anti-theft strategies or future plans.

Key Takeaways
  • Canberrans have been named the worst Woolworths shoplifters, with the highest national average theft rate.
  • High-priced baby formula is one of the most stolen items among the ACT's 15 stores.
  • Analysts and social researchers suggest that the surging cost-of-living could be contributing to the increase in shoplifting rates.
  • Woolworths declined to comment, but it is understood that the supermarket giant has a number of programs in place to combat retail theft.

We advise you to stay vigilant while shopping and ensure that you are not caught up in any potential theft incidents. If you see anything suspicious, don't hesitate to report it to the store staff. To further protect yourself from potential thefts and scams, consider these tips:

1. Do not leave your purse or bags unattended, even for a second.
2. Keep your wallet and personal belongings close to your body.
3. When shopping online, ensure you're on a secure and reputable website.
4. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

What do you think of this story, members? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Interestingly Woolworths, Coles, and many other store chains have a built-in cost given to them by suppliers called ullage. It is a small percentage of the cost price, usually 0.15% discount of the cost price which goes toward breakages and theft in the stores so it is a kind of insurance for the stores. I don't condone theft in stores in fact I think the prevailing penalties are too lenient especially when it comes to baby formula which ends up in the mail to China for a substantial payment to the perpetrator. It is very much sought after by the Chinese.

We all know supermarkets are big businesses, and unfortunately, shoplifting can be a sad reality that leaves businesses and customers bearing the brunt of the losses. But you might be surprised to find out where in Australia this crime is most prevalent.

Residents of our nation's capital have gained an unwanted reputation, given a recent report revealing that people living in Canberra are the worst Woolworths shoplifters in the country.

View attachment 22797
Canberra Woolworths stores get stolen from the most. Image source: Shutterstock.

According to data obtained by The Canberra Times, Australia's capital had the highest national average theft rate within Woolworths supermarket stores. The data showed that each of the Australian Capital Territory's 15 Woolworths stores has experienced over $1.1 million in losses due to thieving in the past year alone.

But what specific items are these cunning crooks after? You might be surprised to learn that one high-priced product on the hit list is – wait for it – baby formula. However, other unexpected items that are commonly stolen from supermarkets include luxury meats, cosmetics, and even alcohol.

The numbers show that baby formula is being stolen off the shelves of Canberra Woolworths stores at higher rates than in other parts of Australia. The city's stores lost more than $18,000 worth of the product in the last year, which is twice the average store loss in Victoria, for instance.

Analysts and social researchers suggest a contributing factor to this increase in shoplifting rates could be the rising cost-of-living pressures faced by many Australians. So while we might be quick to point fingers, it's essential to remember that behind the statistics, there are often people struggling to make ends meet.

Additionally, psychological factors and the stress of the COVID-19 pandemic might have played a part in driving individuals to shoplifting.

The two Woolworths stores hit hardest in Canberra were those located in Dickson and at the territory's airport. In total, over 5.27 million items worth a staggering $16.27 million were stolen in the city.

Interestingly, although states like New South Wales and Victoria experienced higher total losses – $217 million across 287 stores in NSW, for example – it's the concentration of thefts within fewer stores in the ACT that has led to Canberra being crowned the worst shoplifting capital of Australia.

Now you might be wondering, what does this mean for the honest, rule-abiding customers out there? Well, losses incurred by big-chain supermarkets like Woolworths from theft could trickle down to the consumers, leading to higher prices for everyday items to compensate for the losses. However, Woolworths declined to comment on this matter.

Some notable anti-theft efforts made by Woolworths and other supermarket chains in Australia include utilising technology solutions like surveillance cameras and product tracking systems. They have also implemented purchasing restrictions like only allowing customers to buy two tins of baby formula at a time.

As of now, it remains uncertain if or how these new revelations might affect their anti-theft strategies or future plans.

Key Takeaways

• Canberrans have been named the worst Woolworths shoplifters, with the highest national average theft rate.
  • High-priced baby formula is one of the most stolen items among the ACT's 15 stores.
  • Analysts and social researchers suggest that the surging cost-of-living could be contributing to the increase in shoplifting rates.
  • Woolworths declined to comment, but it is understood that the supermarket giant has a number of programs in place to combat retail theft.

We advise you to stay vigilant while shopping and ensure that you are not caught up in any potential theft incidents. If you see anything suspicious, don't hesitate to report it to the store staff. To further protect yourself from potential thefts and scams, consider these tips:

What do you think of this story, members? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.
DON'T POLITICIANS GET PAYED ENOUGH, GREEDY BATSARDS.

View attachment 22797

Key Takeaways

it must be all those members of parliament stocking up for home visits.

Hello everyone, I live in Canberra, I would never shoplift. Canberra has a lot of poor people living here, bearly making ends meet. With inflation, rental increases, people will be forced to shoplift. We have a lot of homeless people here. I'm sorry for Woolworths. Security needs to be scrutinise in Woolworths. Energy prices going up, will add to the budget blues. I wrote this piece, to show Canberra in a different light. I hate listening to any media that says Canberra is the polital Capital. Who gets the blame when politics has failed, of course Canbera gets the blame. They over state the wealth of Canberrans, there are needy people trying to live here, poor, homeless & so on. People have oversized mortgages, they might be forced to shoplift. To all The Woolworths shoplifters, why haven't you asked Woolworths, What can I do to earn free food? People are afraid & forget to ask for help. Shame. Bye everyone be kind to yourself.

Every crime no matter how small requires 3 things motive, means and opportunity. I think the article covers some of the motives that drive some people to this, as for the means and opportunity it is my belief that Woolworths have kindly delivered this to the shopping public with the wholesale introduction of SELF SERVE CHECKOUTS. In our local store in SA theft rose dramatically upon their introduction prompting the local store to employ more checkout staff, result, less theft. After all a mother with not enough money will do anything to feed her kids.

Get rid of the self-checkouts and that will reduce the theft. Some people will always try to get a couple of "Free" items even through the manned checkouts. The main reason for theft these days is 'LACK OF MONEY"
thanks to the Reserve Bank.

I found even if I report a theft the assistants say there is nothing they can do about it . I have seen people walking out with goods and refusing to stop when asked & shouting abuse at security who apparently can do nothing. .

Reactions: relljube
Shoplifting can become a habit as well. A few want to be caught to get attention. Far too many crimes shown on television, newspapers and other media. People could become numb (ennures) and have no compunction. They see the politicians and others treat another with absolutely no respect. The headlines are misleading and often not based on facts.

Whatever happened to the honour system.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Lolali
I was astounded to see the number of items being stolen, 5.27 million articles annually, is that over 100,00 items or more per week? Obviously the security measures are not stringent enough.

I can understand baby formula & meat being stolen to feed families but which category does alcohol come under? Self indulgence perhaps?

Think about it!!
A nice roast pork with a nice bottle of wine not to expensive, for a loving couple $50 easy for a.
Romantic Sunday evening date at home, once a week total $2600 p/a not including Birthdays, Anniversary and
I just love you days. Add on power, gas, mortgage,
{for those unfortunate people} "I feel your pain".
Or rent, groceries, petrol, NOW READ THIS Cattle prices slashed but in the shops customers WON'T see red cent of savings. The price of cows has plummeted almost 40 per cent in the past 12 months.
Meat retailers {butchers} say despite the cheaper beef price it wasn't possible to pass the savings on to customers due to the increased costs of POWER, RENT, PACKAGING and TRANSPORT.
I believe that the large marts Coles, Woolworth, Aldi, Foodland, Drakes, and others interstate could lower prices for one day weekly for PENSIONERS DOING IT HARD...
NOW COME ON YOU GUYS I KNOW YOU READ THIS FORUM HOW ABOUT A FAIR GO, PLEASE REMEMBER WE BUILT THIS GREAT COUNTRY THRU SHEER BLOODY HARD WORK AND TIMES!!!

What do you expect? the place is stuffed full of politicians.
SAY NO MORE...
I live in Canberra, and I am not a politician. All your greedy, grasping, political representatives - and do remember they ARE YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES, and not Canberrans' - are an anethema to Canberrans. They fly in for a week or two here and there; screw up; and before you can say 'Jack Robinson', the media are telling the country 'today Canberra decided...' and we - the everyday people who live and work in Canberra - are slandered from one end of the country to the other.

Most people here are doing it tough, and the 'today Canberra decided' rot proves how mean-minded, and small-minded, and truly 'un-Australian' Australians really are.

As for the shoplifters - I have seen people stealing in the supermarkets, but I no longer report it to the store managers because if the perp makes a run for it, the staff are no longer able to give chase.

It should also be noted that a lot of NSW folk shop in Canberra too. And the airport Woollies mentioned in the article is just 2 or 3 minutes from the ACT/NSW border, and 5 minutes from Queanbeyan.

Reactions: Mr Chips and Ezzy
I live in Canberra, and I am not a politician. All your greedy, grasping, political representatives - and do remember they ARE YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES, and not Canberrans' - are an anethema to Canberrans. They fly in for a week or two here and there; screw up; and before you can say 'Jack Robinson', the media are telling the country 'today Canberra decided...' and we - the everyday people who live and work in Canberra - are slandered from one end of the country to the other.

Most people here are doing it tough, and the 'today Canberra decided' rot proves how mean-minded, and small-minded, and truly 'un-Australian' Australians really are.

As for the shoplifters - I have seen people stealing in the supermarkets, but I no longer report it to the store managers because if the perp makes a run for it, the staff are no longer able to give chase.

It should also be noted that a lot of NSW folk shop in Canberra too. And the airport Woollies mentioned in the article is just 2 or 3 minutes from the ACT/NSW border, and 5 minutes from Queanbeyan.
Glad I live in South Aussie
We only have to put up with local {crims} sorry, "politicians"

Reactions: JKM_Storyteller