Shocking reveal: AFL legend mistaken for dead—hear his story now!

Navigating unexpected events can leave us uncertain about how to react. Imagine if an organisation mistakenly declares you deceased

A situation that might seem like an honest mistake but could have implications for those around you.

Such events underscore the importance of clarity and accuracy in procedures and communications.

In a confusing mix-up of events, AFL legend Michael Porter found himself prematurely inducted into the afterlife—at least, according to the Australian Football Hall of Fame's memorial tribute.

The Hawthorn legend was very much alive and kicking and mistakenly included in the prestigious ceremony's 'In Memoriam' segment.

This error has since sparked a flurry of conversations and apologies.

1718937283961.png
The image of Michael Porter was featured in the memorial section. Credit: SKY ShowBiz / Facebook

The blunder occurred during a night meant to celebrate the sport's finest. Collingwood's Dan Swan was inducted into the AFL's Hall of Fame, and Hawthorn's Jason Dunstall was elevated to Legend status.

However, the tribute to those who had passed caught unexpected attention when Porter, also known as 'Portholes,' was featured.

The 79-year-old, who played 78 games for Hawthorn and was part of the 1971 team that won a flag, was understandably taken aback when he started receiving calls from concerned former teammates.

From his home in the Sydney suburb of Greenwich, Porter recounted the surreal experience.

‘I found out when a friend rang me and said “thank god”. It was a bloke called John Fisher, who I played football with at Hawthorn,’ Porter explained.

‘“What do you mean?” I said, and he said, “Apparently, you’re dead. It’s been on the Hall of Fame. Did you see it?” and I said, “No, I didn’t”. And then all of a sudden, I’ve got other phone calls from other ex-teammates, and then I started getting phone calls left, right and centre.’

While Porter took the mistake in stride, labelling it an 'honest' error, the incident left his wife deeply upset.

‘She was more devastated than I was. I haven’t spoken to my kids about it yet,’ he said.

‘In hindsight, now I sort of think “Oh, bit of a bad mistake”.’

The AFL's claim that they had reached out to him post-mistake was adding to Porter's frustration, a claim he firmly refuted.

‘I read today that the AFL said that they had actually spoken to me, and they haven’t,’ he cleared up.

'They made a mistake and then they’re saying “Oh we’ve contacted him. He understands” but they haven’t contacted me.'

On the other hand, the AFL released a statement asserting that they had apologised to Porter for the mistake and thanked him for his understanding.

‘Once this innocent mistake was realised we moved quickly to ring and apologise to everyone affected, including Michael, and we thank him for his understanding,’ the statement said.

Despite the commotion, Porter reassured everyone that he is 'alive and I'm well’.

‘It’s all over, really. I’m alive, and I’m well. Had 43 turns at golf today. Can’t do much better than that,’ he assured.

In related news, an AFL icon revealed his battle with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and is now in remission after undergoing chemotherapy.

He was given a prognosis of one to three months to live without treatment, which deeply affected him. You can read more about his story here.

Key Takeaways
  • Hawthorn AFL legend Michael Porter was mistakenly pronounced dead during the Hall of Fame memorial tributes.
  • Porter learned about the blunder after receiving phone calls from concerned former teammates.
  • The AFL released a statement saying they had apologised to Porter, but he asserted they did not contact him.
  • Despite being upset by the mistake, Porter has assured family and friends that he is alive and well.

Have you or someone you know ever been the subject of a similar mix-up? How did you or they handle the situation? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Before you post things like this maybe do a proof check or at least find out their real name!! It's DANE SWAN NOT DAN!!

Reactions: Aussiecris
A good friend of mine that I grew up with, and am still in touch with,
had a similar experience in his late 20s.
Another guy with the same first name and age, but a similar surname
(which had one letter different in the spelling) passed away.
People were phoning his family and sending cards with wishes of condolence.
He (now a lawyer and also living in Australia) said at the time,
"It was a great experience, I found out who all my true friends are!" ❤️

we had a teenage student declared dead all over the media. Police checked FB profiles and declared the body they found was him. He was in his bed asleep when this went down. Obviously more than one with his name of FB. How inaccurate. Why they didn't they ring family first before even pronouncing him dead and let them know. They could have told them they were wrong. There is no excuse.

we had a teenage student declared dead all over the media. Police checked FB profiles and declared the body they found was him. He was in his bed asleep when this went down. Obviously more than one with his name of FB. How inaccurate. Why they didn't they ring family first before even pronouncing him dead and let them know. They could have told them they were wrong. There is no excuse.
Was his name Facey Booker by any chance?