Shocking report: Millions of Aussies forced to get second job due to rising living costs

Hard times can drive us to do the unexpected. With the cost of living skyrocketing in recent years, many Aussies have been forced to tighten their belts and scour for cost-cutting strategies.

And this is true now more than ever, as a recent survey by comparison site Finder has revealed that more Australian workers than ever before are being forced to take on a second job in order to make ends meet.

The survey showed that one in four workers, which would equate to 4.8 million Australians, has taken on extra hours, a second job, or even come out of retirement simply to stay financially afloat.

As food and energy prices continue to soar, many are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with mortgage or rental repayments.

But is there anything that we can do to ward off financial distress during our twilight years? Let's take a closer look at the situation and some possible solutions.

job1.jpg
A study showed that one in four workers have taken on more work to stay financially afloat. Credit: Ruslan Burlaka/Pexels

The Finder survey engaged 1078 respondents, revealing that 14 per cent of workers are putting in extra hours to supplement their income. A worrying 7 per cent of people are taking on additional jobs to offset the skyrocketing costs of living.

And for 3 per cent of the population, retirement has been pushed aside in favour of returning to the job market to strengthen their financial position.

One example of this is a man from North Queensland who came out of retirement to help support his family amid the rising cost-of-living crisis. You can read more about this story here.

Australian households are grappling with an ominous mix of economic factors that are steadily squeezing budgets. Last month, the unemployment rate jumped to 3.7 per cent – a figure that’s anticipated to worsen as the year progresses.

Accompanying this, the Reserve Bank has increased the cash rate 11 times in the past year to combat inflation, further straining family finances.

job2.jpg
Rising cost-of-living pressures make it difficult for the most vulnerable in society to plan their budgets. Credit: Cottonbro studio/Pexels

Just last month’s increase alone resulted in an additional $82 slapped onto the monthly repayments of a $500,000 loan. In comparison to April last year, borrowers now pay an extra $1,133 in mortgage payments – a staggering 54 per cent increase.

Moreover, tenants aren't enjoying any relief either. Rental markets in various capital cities are nearing record highs, with rental stock supply being squeezed beyond capacity.

Sarah Megginson from Finder passionately explained, 'Living frugally is not enough as paying for everyday basics is becoming an impossible task for many of us. Households are having to buckle down and find ways to increase income as inflation increases the cost of everything – from groceries and petrol to energy and insurance.'

With one in five Aussies contemplating finding extra work to keep their heads above water, we here at Seniors Discount Club advocate for the importance of seeking out budgeting tips, applying cost-saving strategies, and researching any benefits and discounts available for older Aussies.

Stay informed, stay proactive, and support one another during these trying times. You can also consult with independent financial advisors or money coaches if you need help developing a new budget and sticking to it.
Key Takeaways
  • A survey by Finder showed that one in four Australians have taken on a second job, are working longer hours, or have come out of retirement to make ends meet.
  • Food and energy prices continue to soar, making it difficult for many to pay mortgages or rent.
  • The survey found that 14 per cent of workers are now working longer hours, while 7 per cent have taken on a second job.
  • Finder's research also found that one in five Australians are considering finding extra work to stay financially afloat.
Do you know someone who has started working a second job to make ends meet? Or have you or someone you know had to come out of retirement in order to be able to better afford the cost of living? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below! Also, if you have money-saving tips of your own, feel free to let us know as well!

Sponsored
I was working three jobs when I had a mortgage at 22%, or don't we remember those times when it was just as hard.

Reactions: Gsr and IAN3005
yes I remember those days,,my husband worked 2 jobs and I worked while our 2 children were young and just starting school ,,with me leaving home around 7:45am and getting home at 5pm ,,it was horrible ,,they hated being left at the baby sitters home and I hated leaving them but if we didn't want to lose our little farm there was no choice,,,yes I remember very well how tough it was on all of us

Reactions: Gsr
It is a sad reflection on the leaders of our country that so many more people are dropping below the poverty level and struggling to afford basic necessities while multi national companies and big business are allowed to get away with avoiding paying tax, price gouging to ensure they rake in huge profits, and paying mega dollar bonuses to the so called “bosses”. If these practices were not allowed there would be more money in the government coffers, life would be more affordable and the poorer end of society wouldn’t continue to be screwed over. Raising the gst on so called luxury items would also boost the coffers without costing the poorer people who can’t afford and don’t need to try to outdo the neighbours with their extravagance.

Reactions: Cheezil
Hard times can drive us to do the unexpected. With the cost of living skyrocketing in recent years, many Aussies have been forced to tighten their belts and scour for cost-cutting strategies.

And this is true now more than ever, as a recent survey by comparison site Finder has revealed that more Australian workers than ever before are being forced to take on a second job in order to make ends meet.

The survey showed that one in four workers, which would equate to 4.8 million Australians, has taken on extra hours, a second job, or even come out of retirement simply to stay financially afloat.

As food and energy prices continue to soar, many are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with mortgage or rental repayments.

But is there anything that we can do to ward off financial distress during our twilight years? Let's take a closer look at the situation and some possible solutions.

View attachment 20582
A study showed that one in four workers have taken on more work to stay financially afloat. Credit: Ruslan Burlaka/Pexels

The Finder survey engaged 1078 respondents, revealing that 14 per cent of workers are putting in extra hours to supplement their income. A worrying 7 per cent of people are taking on additional jobs to offset the skyrocketing costs of living.

And for 3 per cent of the population, retirement has been pushed aside in favour of returning to the job market to strengthen their financial position.

One example of this is a man from North Queensland who came out of retirement to help support his family amid the rising cost-of-living crisis. You can read more about this story here.

Australian households are grappling with an ominous mix of economic factors that are steadily squeezing budgets. Last month, the unemployment rate jumped to 3.7 per cent – a figure that’s anticipated to worsen as the year progresses.

Accompanying this, the Reserve Bank has increased the cash rate 11 times in the past year to combat inflation, further straining family finances.

View attachment 20583
Rising cost-of-living pressures make it difficult for the most vulnerable in society to plan their budgets. Credit: Cottonbro studio/Pexels

Just last month’s increase alone resulted in an additional $82 slapped onto the monthly repayments of a $500,000 loan. In comparison to April last year, borrowers now pay an extra $1,133 in mortgage payments – a staggering 54 per cent increase.

Moreover, tenants aren't enjoying any relief either. Rental markets in various capital cities are nearing record highs, with rental stock supply being squeezed beyond capacity.

Sarah Megginson from Finder passionately explained, 'Living frugally is not enough as paying for everyday basics is becoming an impossible task for many of us. Households are having to buckle down and find ways to increase income as inflation increases the cost of everything – from groceries and petrol to energy and insurance.'

With one in five Aussies contemplating finding extra work to keep their heads above water, we here at Seniors Discount Club advocate for the importance of seeking out budgeting tips, applying cost-saving strategies, and researching any benefits and discounts available for older Aussies.

Stay informed, stay proactive, and support one another during these trying times. You can also consult with independent financial advisors or money coaches if you need help developing a new budget and sticking to it.
Key Takeaways

• A survey by Finder showed that one in four Australians have taken on a second job, are working longer hours, or have come out of retirement to make ends meet.
  • Food and energy prices continue to soar, making it difficult for many to pay mortgages or rent.
  • The survey found that 14 per cent of workers are now working longer hours, while 7 per cent have taken on a second job.
  • Finder's research also found that one in five Australians are considering finding extra work to stay financially afloat.
Do you know someone who has started working a second job to make ends meet? Or have you or someone you know had to come out of retirement in order to be able to better afford the cost of living? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below! Also, if you have money-saving tips of your own, feel free to let us know as well!
Well i had hoped to retire at 60yo (I'm 62 soon), but I'm now needing to work not 2, but 4 part time jobs (45-49hrs per wk atm) to make ends meet (& i have no debt, so can only imagine how bad it is for many others)! So sad for so many, used to be the lucky country, it's beyond a joke now!

Reactions: Gsr
It is a sad reflection on the leaders of our country that so many more people are dropping below the poverty level and struggling to afford basic necessities while multi national companies and big business are allowed to get away with avoiding paying tax, price gouging to ensure they rake in huge profits, and paying mega dollar bonuses to the so called “bosses”. If these practices were not allowed there would be more money in the government coffers, life would be more affordable and the poorer end of society wouldn’t continue to be screwed over. Raising the gst on so called luxury items would also boost the coffers without costing the poorer people who can’t afford and don’t need to try to outdo the neighbours with their extravagance.
Agree 100%

I live by myself & have been working 2 jobs for the last couple of years trying to make ends meet.
I am quickly falling behind but at my age, cannot get hired for any more jobs