Shocking: Qantas allegedly overcharges traveller $6,000! Are you also paying too much?

We all know that life has become a lot more expensive nowadays, between the cost of everyday items like food and electricity and those pesky petrol prices going up again. Now more than ever, we need to be smart about how we spend our hard-earned money, and this goes particularly when it comes to travelling.

Gold Coast businesswoman Samantha Cardone, founder of travel pillow brand Plane Pal, was charged a whopping $6,000 after she alleges she was overcharged by Qantas while trying to book flights to a popular holiday destination using travel credits.

SDC Images Rectangle (2).png
Samantha Cardone was charged a whopping $6,000 while trying to book a flight using her travel credits. Image source: Qantas (left) / stocking on Freepik (right)

She had accumulated some travel credits through the Qantas Pass, a type of loyalty wallet that stores credits. Unbeknownst to her, these credits weren't being used to pay for her ticket, and she was being charged the full amount on her credit card.

According to her, a customer service team spent weeks looking into the issue and was told she had to re-book her flights out-of-pocket to redeem the travel credits and at an even higher fare given the prices had soared over the period.

Unfortunately, even these ended up for nothing.

'I then followed up with them again and was told the only way to resolve it was to cancel everything, again. Then I was told that the price had gone up–again! So, as you can imagine, I was pretty furious,' Cardone said.

At the end of it all, she was able to rebook, but forced to pay an extra $1000 for the same tickets she bought in the first place.

'Glitches happen. But a month later to still be fighting about it, and to charge me the price difference from then to now, that's the bit that really just got me over the line. It's a bit rich,' she said.

In July, the national flag carrier and its budget arm Jetstar called on patrons to make use of the remaining $400 million unused travel credits, which are set to expire at the end of 2023.

A draft report from the Airline Customer Advocate (ACA) showed that the carrier had a staggering 6,918 reports made against them in 2022–and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Complaints against Qantas in 2022 had surpassed levels before the pandemic despite having a lower number of passengers.

So how can you ensure you stay on top of your finances when booking flights to your dream destination? Below are some tips!

First, consider booking directly through the airline's official website. While third-party booking sites may seem convenient, they are not always transparent about the final fare. Hidden fees can soon add up, making your flight not so affordable after all. Stick with official sources, and you're less likely to incur surprise charges.

Second, always double-check the price breakdown before entering your credit card details. Look carefully for additional fees such as (but not limited to!): baggage charges, taxes, and even 'convenience fees'.

Third, be on the lookout for dynamic pricing. It's a sneaky trick many companies use today, not just airlines. The premise is that prices will fluctuate based on demand, time of day, and even the device you're using! If the price suddenly jumps up, try clearing your browser cookies or switching to a different device before you give up entirely.

Finally, create a paper trail. Whether by taking a screenshot of the final price or emailing yourself confirmation of the charges, always ensure you have proof of what you agreed to pay. In the unfortunate event of an overcharge, this evidence will be your best friend when negotiating with customer service.

If you experience any issues when booking, always contact the customer service department as soon as possible to try and resolve the situation.

In summary, be meticulous, take time, and challenge anything you feel is amiss. Take these tips to heart, and don't let the airlines play you. Stay sharp and fly smart, folks!

Sharing is caring–if you have any tips on booking the cheapest flight tickets, share them with us in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
Sponsored
We all know that life has become a lot more expensive nowadays, between the cost of everyday items like food and electricity and those pesky petrol prices going up again. Now more than ever, we need to be smart about how we spend our hard-earned money, and this goes particularly when it comes to travelling.

Gold Coast businesswoman Samantha Cardone, founder of travel pillow brand Plane Pal, was charged a whopping $6,000 after she alleges she was overcharged by Qantas while trying to book flights to a popular holiday destination using travel credits.

View attachment 27255
Samantha Cardone was charged a whopping $6,000 while trying to book a flight using her travel credits. Image source: Qantas (left) / stocking on Freepik (right)

She had accumulated some travel credits through the Qantas Pass, a type of loyalty wallet that stores credits. Unbeknownst to her, these credits weren't being used to pay for her ticket, and she was being charged the full amount on her credit card.

According to her, a customer service team spent weeks looking into the issue and was told she had to re-book her flights out-of-pocket to redeem the travel credits and at an even higher fare given the prices had soared over the period.

'I then followed up with them again and was told the only way to resolve it was to cancel everything, again. Then I was told that the price had gone up–again! So, as you can imagine, I was pretty furious,' Cardone said.

At the end of it all, she was able to rebook, but forced to pay an extra $1000 for the same tickets she bought in the first place.

'Glitches happen. But a month later to still be fighting about it, and to charge me the price difference from then to now, that's the bit that really just got me over the line. It's a bit rich,' she said.

In July, the national flag carrier and its budget arm Jetstar called on patrons to make use of the remaining $400 million unused travel credits, which are set to expire at the end of 2023.

A draft report from the Airline Customer Advocate (ACA) showed that the carrier had a staggering 6,918 reports made against them in 2022–and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Complaints against Qantas in 2022 had surpassed levels before the pandemic despite having a lower number of passengers.

So how can you ensure you stay on top of your finances when booking flights to your dream destination? Below are some tips!

First, consider booking directly through the airline's official website. While third-party booking sites may seem convenient, they are not always transparent about the final fare. Hidden fees can soon add up, making your flight not so affordable after all. Stick with official sources, and you're less likely to incur surprise charges.

Second, always double-check the price breakdown before entering your credit card details. Look carefully for additional fees such as (but not limited to!): baggage charges, taxes, and even 'convenience fees'.

Third, be on the lookout for dynamic pricing. It's a sneaky trick many companies use today, not just airlines. The premise is that prices will fluctuate based on demand, time of day, and even the device you're using! If the price suddenly jumps up, try clearing your browser cookies or switching to a different device before you give up entirely.

Finally, create a paper trail. Whether by taking a screenshot of the final price or emailing yourself confirmation of the charges, always ensure you have proof of what you agreed to pay. In the unfortunate event of an overcharge, this evidence will be your best friend when negotiating with customer service.

If you experience any issues when booking, always contact the customer service department as soon as possible to try and resolve the situation.

In summary, be meticulous, take time, and challenge anything you feel is amiss. Take these tips to heart, and don't let the airlines play you. Stay sharp and fly smart, folks!

Sharing is caring–if you have any tips on booking the cheapest flight tickets, share them with us in the comments section below!
I don’t know why people use Qantas. They overcharge and under perform on a regular basis. Refuse to use them at all.

View attachment 27255

It took more than 3 month and couple of phone calls to receive a new Qantas Frequent Flier card that was expired in 2019 but Qantas never bothered to sent me a replacement card or even notify that it had been expired.

I tried to find suitable flights Brisbane to Adelaide recently by doing my own booking on-line. Except for early morning the only other suitable one landed at 9:45 pm. Gave up after many days of checking and only suitable one was this late night one. I was to use my credits with Jetstar. Finally went back to my travel agent (FC) and they easily got me on a flight arriving at 1:45. Airlines try these tactics with on-line customers but travel agents have access to more flights & more (sometimes better) costs. We have even managed to get a checked bag on each way & came out on top using all but $8 short of our credited amount. Didn’t think quickly enough - could have used that $8 and ordered a coffee on board!!

Reason for credit was that both my husband and I contracted CoVid 10 days before the original flight so had to cancel. To Jetstar’s credit, we did not have a single hassle from them refusing to credit us & were also given 18 months to use the full credit. So I hope, in our case at least, that Jetstar doesn’t blacken it’s name.

Reactions: KayPlay
Qantas, The Glitch Airline! I gave up on Qantas many years ago.

Qantas, commonwealth bank, the taxpayers of Australia should own both of them and stop the 10 billion dollar profits being gained by ripping us off, our government is gutless or do the politicians own shares?

Reactions: GillyH and Rob44
I only fly with Qantas when needed for work or when it was part of a travel deal. I used to fly with them occasionally, that was up to the collapse of Ansett Airlines. I was working in a 5 star hotel in Brisbane and the many people being left in the lurch by the Ansett collapse and trying to get home by flying Qantas made me so sad. One elderly couple had to get back to Sydney and when they rang Qantas to see if they could get a flight back, Qantas were going to charge them $600 per person. This couple were in their 80's and they told me they couldn't afford that so they were going to hire a car and drive home. Now if Qantas accommodated some of the people that were left in the lurch by the Ansett collapse they would have looked like HERO'S but for me they just went to ZERO. No compassion and just money hungry

I don’t know why people use Qantas. They overcharge and under perform on a regular basis. Refuse to use them at all.
Unfortunately they are all the same. Virgin changed my direct flight to Darwin from Perth 3.5 hours flying time, to Perth Melbourne Darwin 12.5 hours they wondered why I cancelled? JetStar I tried once. I was a nervous wreck with all the flight changes before I even departed!

Reactions: Rob44