Shocking findings: Australia's biggest supermarkets profited from the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis

If your household budget is feeling stretched by the increase in grocery prices, then you’re not alone. But amid all the chaos and steady price hikes, reports have shown that big businesses are still booming.

An analysis of Coles and Woolworths’ financial accounts revealed that over a five-year period, the two supermarket giants increased their margins on their food businesses throughout the pandemic, raising allegations of inflationary profiteering.

This highly lucrative period contrasts with the slowing performance and subdued outlook for the supermarket giants shortly before the outbreak of COVID-19.

So why are the supermarkets able to increase their profit margins from the pandemic?

increase1.jpg
It was revealed that Australia's dominant supermarkets were able to improve their profits throughout the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Ready made/Pexels

According to Coles, the increased margins have come from cost savings in other areas. Whereas Woolworths said their higher wholesale prices were enough to cover supply costs.

However, the increase in the sales of the supermarket industry revealed that shoppers were being charged more than enough to cover additional expenses stores pay to suppliers and to account for other costs, such as energy bills.

George Boubouras, the Executive Director and Head of Research at K2 Asset Management, said there was a ‘strong argument’ that supermarkets were approaching an ‘oligopolistic pricing power’, which is when only a few companies can exert control over the market and provide uncompetitive prices.

‘To address high inflation, we need to get prices to start falling again,’ he stated.

increase2.jpg
Data revealed that customers were being charged more than enough to cover additional costs and other rising expenses. Credit: SHVETS production/Pexels

An analysis revealed that gross margins at Coles’ supermarket division increased from 24.7 per cent right before the pandemic to 26.5 per cent. Meanwhile, the profit margins at Woolworths’ Australian food division increased from 29.1 per cent to 30.7 per cent.

According to Mr Boubouras, it’s crucial to monitor prices to ensure they drop accordingly. This is especially important for flood-affected items, such as fruit and vegetables, to ensure that after supplies return, the prices will return to their lower price points.

But what’s behind these rising prices?

In 2019, it was revealed that sales growth was decreasing at Coles, and analysts were also preparing to see lower margins at Woolworths.

But the panic buying in 2020 after the first wave of the pandemic led to a surge in sales for both supermarkets, who were also able to increase their prices in a trend that continued – and even accelerated – as inflation started to soar.

In Australia, Coles and Woolworths are the top earners in the supermarket sector, with a combined control over two-thirds of the market. On the other hand, ALDI (which doesn’t disclose its profit margins because it’s not a listed company, has an 11 per cent share.

However, both supermarkets were quick to defend themselves.

A spokesperson for Coles said the retail giant has a four-year program that’s designed to save costs. This includes fast checkouts, stock ordering options, and some distribution centre changes to improve processes.

‘Gross margin expansion has largely been driven by our smarter selling program, strategic sourcing initiatives and reduced COVID-related costs,’ the spokesperson shared.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Woolworths clarified that many factors other than costs paid for by customers have an effect on their margins. This included the way the supermarket managed its stock loss or the items it couldn’t sell.

‘The higher wholesale prices we’re paying to suppliers is the primary driver of inflation,’ the spokesperson said.

The store also previously hinted that its financial results were because of its price increases, which they have stated was ‘in line’ with the price hikes from its suppliers.

Moreover, representatives from supermarkets who addressed a Senate committee recently said they were shielding customers from some of the fees charged by their suppliers.

The representatives also stated that the war in Ukraine affected canned goods, fertilisers, and other items, as well as supply disruptions borne out of pandemic-related restrictions had a lasting impact on food prices.

Now, there’s a push to investigate irregularities.

But several market competition regulators and experts said that any probes would have to be initiated by the federal government.

The Greens proposed that the ACCC be given additional powers, such as divestment rights, to keep a check on monopolistic behaviour and unreasonable price-gouging.

‘It’s no surprise to have it revealed that the supermarkets have increased their profits in recent times, and like so many other corporations, there is definitely profiteering going on,’ Senator Nick McKim and the Greens’ competition policy spokesperson said.

Are supermarkets taking advantage of inflation_.jpg
Do you agree that supermarkets are taking advantage of the cost-of-living crisis? Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club.

Food is the second-biggest cost of the average household (after housing), making up 17 per cent of the total cost of living, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

But while prices in the United Nations food price index are still lower than a year ago, that relief has yet to be reflected in our local supermarkets. The prices of food in Australia have dropped slightly from the floods last year, but prices are still rising by 8 per cent compared to 12 months ago.

Many economists, including UBS's London-based Paul Donovan, believe that companies taking advantage of the pandemic to inflate margins and keep prices inflated are a major contributor to inflation.

However, the Reserve Bank has dismissed any ideas that profiteering is playing a role in driving up prices, which has attracted criticism.

Australia Institute's Greg Jericho has blamed the country's 'complete lack of competition in the retail sector' for the increased profits of supermarkets, pointing out how wages have not risen almost as fast as inflation.

‘When you see both Woolies and Coles increasing their profit margins, it really speaks to the complete lack of competition in Australia’s retail sector,’ Mr Jericho said.

‘So, one cost that hasn’t increased is the cost of labour, and that’s also helping with their margins,’ he continued.

Key Takeaways

• Australia's big supermarket chains, Coles and Woolworths, increased their profit margins throughout the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis.
  • Critics argue that this pricing decision is evidence of inflationary profiteering and lack of competition within the retail sector.
  • George Boubouras, Executive Director at K2 Asset Management, suggests that an inquiry with the power to improve transparency should be established.
  • Coles and Woolworths attribute the increased margins to smarter selling programs, reduced COVID-related costs, and inflation driven by higher wholesale prices paid to suppliers.
Have you ever felt taken advantage of by supermarket prices? What do you think should be done to protect shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well, for a start, I shop at Aldi. I know they don't make public their profits, but their prices overall are much cheaper. In the past I have picked up things I couldn't get in Aldi at Woolies, but from today I intend to no longer give any of my business to either Coles or Woolies.
I know I'm only one person, but if everybody did the same thing they would soon pull their heads in.
No good whinging about it and doing nothing about it.
It is absolutely disgusting the profits they are making and all the bull***t
they come up with to explain it, they must think we are all stupid.
Perhaps we are, after all we are the ones giving them these astronomical profits.
Only way to beat them at their game is to protest with your feet and shop elsewhere.

Greedy supermarkets, that is Coles & Woolies. I want to know what the goverment can do about this?
I'm very frugile looking after myself. We have families joining the line to the Churches , for help with food. The Churches are overwelmed. I wish I had a vulgar amount of money, I would grow food for the poor, the good people, & homeless. I will be glad when I can start a smallraised vegie garden to share with The Churches that help the poor. I have ampathy & compasion.

If your household budget is feeling stretched by the increase in grocery prices, then you’re not alone. But amid all the chaos and steady price hikes, reports have shown that big businesses are still booming.

An analysis of Coles and Woolworths’ financial accounts revealed that over a five-year period, the two supermarket giants increased their margins on their food businesses throughout the pandemic, raising allegations of inflationary profiteering.

This highly lucrative period contrasts with the slowing performance and subdued outlook for the supermarket giants shortly before the outbreak of COVID-19.

So why are the supermarkets able to increase their profit margins from the pandemic?

View attachment 20342
It was revealed that Australia's dominant supermarkets were able to improve their profits throughout the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis. Credit: Ready made/Pexels

According to Coles, the increased margins have come from cost savings in other areas. Whereas Woolworths said their higher wholesale prices were enough to cover supply costs.

However, the increase in the sales of the supermarket industry revealed that shoppers were being charged more than enough to cover additional expenses stores pay to suppliers and to account for other costs, such as energy bills.

George Boubouras, the Executive Director and Head of Research at K2 Asset Management, said there was a ‘strong argument’ that supermarkets were approaching an ‘oligopolistic pricing power’, which is when only a few companies can exert control over the market and provide uncompetitive prices.

‘To address high inflation, we need to get prices to start falling again,’ he stated.

View attachment 20343
Data revealed that customers were being charged more than enough to cover additional costs and other rising expenses. Credit: SHVETS production/Pexels

An analysis revealed that gross margins at Coles’ supermarket division increased from 24.7 per cent right before the pandemic to 26.5 per cent. Meanwhile, the profit margins at Woolworths’ Australian food division increased from 29.1 per cent to 30.7 per cent.

According to Mr Boubouras, it’s crucial to monitor prices to ensure they drop accordingly. This is especially important for flood-affected items, such as fruit and vegetables, to ensure that after supplies return, the prices will return to their lower price points.

In 2019, it was revealed that sales growth was decreasing at Coles, and analysts were also preparing to see lower margins at Woolworths.

But the panic buying in 2020 after the first wave of the pandemic led to a surge in sales for both supermarkets, who were also able to increase their prices in a trend that continued – and even accelerated – as inflation started to soar.

In Australia, Coles and Woolworths are the top earners in the supermarket sector, with a combined control over two-thirds of the market. On the other hand, ALDI (which doesn’t disclose its profit margins because it’s not a listed company, has an 11 per cent share.

A spokesperson for Coles said the retail giant has a four-year program that’s designed to save costs. This includes fast checkouts, stock ordering options, and some distribution centre changes to improve processes.

‘Gross margin expansion has largely been driven by our smarter selling program, strategic sourcing initiatives and reduced COVID-related costs,’ the spokesperson shared.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Woolworths clarified that many factors other than costs paid for by customers have an effect on their margins. This included the way the supermarket managed its stock loss or the items it couldn’t sell.

‘The higher wholesale prices we’re paying to suppliers is the primary driver of inflation,’ the spokesperson said.

The store also previously hinted that its financial results were because of its price increases, which they have stated was ‘in line’ with the price hikes from its suppliers.

Moreover, representatives from supermarkets who addressed a Senate committee recently said they were shielding customers from some of the fees charged by their suppliers.

The representatives also stated that the war in Ukraine affected canned goods, fertilisers, and other items, as well as supply disruptions borne out of pandemic-related restrictions had a lasting impact on food prices.

But several market competition regulators and experts said that any probes would have to be initiated by the federal government.

The Greens proposed that the ACCC be given additional powers, such as divestment rights, to keep a check on monopolistic behaviour and unreasonable price-gouging.

‘It’s no surprise to have it revealed that the supermarkets have increased their profits in recent times, and like so many other corporations, there is definitely profiteering going on,’ Senator Nick McKim and the Greens’ competition policy spokesperson said.

View attachment 20367
Do you agree that supermarkets are taking advantage of the cost-of-living crisis? Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club.

Food is the second-biggest cost of the average household (after housing), making up 17 per cent of the total cost of living, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

But while prices in the United Nations food price index are still lower than a year ago, that relief has yet to be reflected in our local supermarkets. The prices of food in Australia have dropped slightly from the floods last year, but prices are still rising by 8 per cent compared to 12 months ago.

Many economists, including UBS's London-based Paul Donovan, believe that companies taking advantage of the pandemic to inflate margins and keep prices inflated are a major contributor to inflation.

However, the Reserve Bank has dismissed any ideas that profiteering is playing a role in driving up prices, which has attracted criticism.

Australia Institute's Greg Jericho has blamed the country's 'complete lack of competition in the retail sector' for the increased profits of supermarkets, pointing out how wages have not risen almost as fast as inflation.

‘When you see both Woolies and Coles increasing their profit margins, it really speaks to the complete lack of competition in Australia’s retail sector,’ Mr Jericho said.

‘So, one cost that hasn’t increased is the cost of labour, and that’s also helping with their margins,’ he continued.

Key Takeaways

• Australia's big supermarket chains, Coles and Woolworths, increased their profit margins throughout the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis.
  • Critics argue that this pricing decision is evidence of inflationary profiteering and lack of competition within the retail sector.
  • George Boubouras, Executive Director at K2 Asset Management, suggests that an inquiry with the power to improve transparency should be established.
  • Coles and Woolworths attribute the increased margins to smarter selling programs, reduced COVID-related costs, and inflation driven by higher wholesale prices paid to suppliers.
Have you ever felt taken advantage of by supermarket prices? What do you think should be done to protect shoppers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
The supermarkets have demanded the competitive advantage of trading 7 days a week 7am to 10pm, which wiped out the small businesses where I live within three months. The local butcher folded, the corner shop folded, there is no greengrocer etc. And there was a time when Woolworths wholesale controlled 80% of the wholesale market so how the devil could anyone compete?

Added to that Woolworths and Coles have sacked most of the check-out staff and we have queue up to use an automatic teller to work as unpaid check-out staff for them.

Yes; price-gouging, profiteering; or perhaps theft?

The supermarkets have demanded the competitive advantage of trading 7 days a week 7am to 10pm, which wiped out the small businesses where I live within three months. The local butcher folded, the corner shop folded, there is no greengrocer etc. And there was a time when Woolworths wholesale controlled 80% of the wholesale market so how the devil could anyone compete?

Added to that Woolworths and Coles have sacked most of the check-out staff and we have queue up to use an automatic teller to work as unpaid check-out staff for them.

Yes; price-gouging, profiteering; or perhaps theft?
They disgust me and pretending to give a whatever! about the customer!-! The Powers that can Change this need to Step in and they Need to do it Now - no rentals, homelessness, tents & sleeping bags to live in and what soon no food - that will finish us off! They couldn't care less that they have taken away peoples livelihood of small businesses - taking a persons income and stomping on it, it saddens me for these people - Coles & Woolies have shown more and more there true colours, at the same time thinking that the public are too stupid to be aware of what they are doing with there prices hikes, (put one item down, put another up to cover the one they put down) Get real Coles and Woolies and Stop with your Greediness & wanting to control the entire Food market, in an assembly line shopping experience, also with your pretence in giving a ! ! about the customer. If we can go elsewhere to meet our food needs, if we have other shops close by we should try & use them - this will take a lot of people to do this, but can also be an inconvenience for pple that use public transport or who are not well & can only go to there closest shops, which may be Co & Wo - Coles and Woolies have already factored this in to there profit/loss margins and they feel confident they will get the customers back-i am not sure why they are allowed to constantly put prices up & up,
surely there is a body they have to answer too!

Last edited:
Greedy supermarkets, that is Coles & Woolies. I want to know what the goverment can do about this?
I'm very frugile looking after myself. We have families joining the line to the Churches , for help with food. The Churches are overwelmed. I wish I had a vulgar amount of money, I would grow food for the poor, the good people, & homeless. I will be glad when I can start a smallraised vegie garden to share with The Churches that help the poor. I have ampathy & compasion.
I too have empathy but like you Janelle Maree: I am fragile & can't garden because of this, I used to grow vegetables before I got too old, but supplied the family with the spare food that I had. Although I don't ever go to Church I agree that there is a need for them to help the general public at times like this. Other than that they are useless unless it is to spout rhetoric to be an opiate to the masses in these times of need!

View attachment 20342

View attachment 20343

View attachment 20367

Key Takeaways

Pathetic. Gaining from others distress

View attachment 20342

View attachment 20343

View attachment 20367

Key Takeaways

Try living in Darwin or other regional centres. They claim transport costs but stuff up here just doubles overnight for no apparent reason

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540 and RTS
IIIIIIWell, for a start, I shop at Aldi. I know they don't make public their profits, but their prices overall are much cheaper. In the past I have picked up things I couldn't get in Aldi at Woolies, but from today I intend to no longer give any of my business to either Coles or Woolies.
I know I'm only one person, but if everybody did the same thing they would soon pull their heads in.
No good whinging about it and doing nothing about it.
It is absolutely disgusting the profits they are making and all the bull***t
they come up with to explain it, they must think we are all stupid.
Perhaps we are, after all we are the ones giving them these astronomical profits.
Only way to beat them at their game is to protest with your feet and shop elsewhere.

I have changed my eating habit to fit in to what Aldi sells. I only use Woolies and Coles for items I cant get at Aldi. I now cook more and buy raw products to cook with. Have my own chooks for eggs and they eat the scraps. Now growing green veggies, give excess to needy organisations who pass it on.. Grow seedlings and give to charity shops to sell. Suppliment other needs from good will stores. When this is all over Coles and Woolies will be the loosers , we would have become proficient at saving and will not return to our old ways. jay2

I still buy my dog food at Cole's or Woolies.
I stopped buying from them when their prices were increased up to 30%, only weeks after the change of government, with the fuel increase cited as the reason.
The RBA is the other player in raising prices. This organisation is supposed to be an independent government body, but it appears to be influenced by the money men.
In the late eighties their fiscal policies raised interest rates to 18%, and it was later shown their reasoning to be unsound. Now they're trying the same thing on again.
I'm not an economist, but I can tell when people are being robbed.

Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 20342

View attachment 20343

View attachment 20367

Key Takeaways

Profits 📈 are up why would that be simple Australians are been taken for a ride and it's up the Coles and Woolworths don't care about people it's all greed simple the farm gate prices aren't set by the farmer they are offered a price per ton not happy they find someone else rip off merchants 🤬

Nothing new, they have been gouging the Australian people for years and because they have gobbled up the local shops there is NO competition against them.

View attachment 20342

View attachment 20343

View attachment 20367

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Carmine