Shocking DIY cleaning trick: This mum saved hundreds of dollars - but was it worth the risk?

The increasing costs of living are leaving many people feeling the financial strain. Whether it's rent or groceries, we seem to be paying more for everything these days.

However, one area that is often overlooked is the amount we spend on cleaning products.

Many households spend a significant amount on cleaning supplies, which adds up to the bill instead of going towards other essential needs like food.

With laundry detergents seeming to get more expensive, it’s no wonder that more and more shoppers are looking for effective cost-cutting measures.

A mum has recently made the rounds on social media after she shared a DIY cleaning ‘hack’ to save hundreds of dollars.

In a post on Facebook, the homemaker caused a stir online after revealing her unusual method for making her own DIY laundry detergent.

68925235-0-image-a-31_1679370197866.jpg copy.png
One mum revealed how she managed to save hundreds of dollars on cleaning detergent by making her own DIY powder. Credit: Facebook.

The woman, named Meagan, stated that the ingredients only cost $20 from Woolworths and that the mix lasts ‘a minimum of nine months.'

The mum also shared her recipe for the DIY washing powder which combines ‘2kg of bicarb, 1kg of Borax, 1kg of washing soda, two bars of Velvet soap grated and half a bar of Sard Wonder Soap grated (optional, to boost the smell and for kids' stains)’.

Meagan wrote: 'I know this isn't edible, but it's a recipe and will save money.’

The recipe is also simple — all she needed to do to combine the ingredients fully was boil everything together in a 10-litre bucket.

Once the mixture was ready, she simply followed instructions for her specific washer to complete the process.

For a top loader, Meagan recommended using two-level teaspoons for a normal load or three-level teaspoons for a large 10kg load that is particularly dirty.

If you have a front loader, use only two level teaspoons of your DIY laundry detergent.

While some people online were impressed by her cost-cutting trick, the post faced backlash and warnings as many are concerned about the potentially harmful effects of using Borax.

One person pointed out: 'I don't know about washing your clothes in Borax. Borax has a warning. Warning: May impair fertility. May cause harm to an unborn child. Do not swallow. Not to be taken.’

'Please do not do this. You're going to gum up your washing machine with scrub,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘Please don't take it the wrong way, but Borax is for cleaning drains. To wash your clothes in it can cause irritation to the skin I would have thought.’

68925241-11883969-image-a-33_1679370202013.jpg

The DIY cleaning powder faced backlash after many users pointed out how one of its ingredients, Borax, is harmful to people. Credit: Facebook.

In response to concerns about the use of Borax in homemade laundry detergent, Meagan stated: ‘The Borax breaks down the soap. My 12-year-old machine and pipes in the laundry have not been clogged by this recipe.’

‘It has worked well for me for a long time, and many others have reported success with it as well.’

Key Takeaways
  • A mum shared a DIY cleaning 'hack' on social media, revealing her homemade laundry detergent recipe that claims to save hundreds of dollars.
  • The post faced backlash and warnings from people concerned about the potentially harmful effects of using Borax for washing.
  • In response to these concerns, the mum stated that the recipe had worked well for her and others for a long time without issues.
  • According to the cleaning website For The Love of Clean, homemade detergents can leave behind soap scum and are not recommended.

According to the cleaning website For The Love of Clean, it's best to avoid using homemade washing detergents.

These typically consist of a mixture of water softeners (such as borax, washing soda, or bicarb soda), boosters (like oxi), and soap (either grated or melted from various brands and types).

The reason for this, as explained by the website, is that homemade detergents tend to leave behind soap scum that traps soil particles in the fibres of clothing.

This is because bar soap is not designed for laundry and does not rinse clean from fabric fibres.

The website notes that bar soaps marketed for laundry are meant to be used as pre-treaters or boosters, not as detergents.

Furthermore, most versions of homemade soap are primarily composed of water softeners and boosters, which do not effectively clean clothing but rather improve the cleaning agent's ability to do so.

the_risks_of_borax.jpg
An infographic on the risks of Borax and how you can keep yourself safe from its effects. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

So, while Meagan’s post has provided an interesting insight into the world of cost-cutting, we advise that you take the advice of experts and avoid attempting this DIY laundry detergent for the meantime.

We also recommend checking out this article where we share 12 chemical-free cleaning tips that will not only save you a few dollars but will also help you stay away from harmful chemicals that may affect your health.

There you have it, folks! Do you know other cost-cutting tips for scoring affordable cleaning materials? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I bought a new front-loading washing machine in 2005. Due to frustration with companies changing formulations which caused allergy issues, I used a variation of this recipe (as a powder, not liquid) for 11 years, averaging one load per day in that time, and using white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment. The only issue I had with the machine during this time was a purely mechanical fault with the door mechanism. When going long-term travelling in 2016 and putting only non-replaceable belongings into storage, I passed the machine on to a family member, who has used a commercial product in it.

Yes, the pipes did eventually clog up, but not until last year!

As for the 'health risks' of using borax in detergent, check the risks of the chemicals used in commercially-available products.

Whenever someone says something "may" cause something or another, it means that there is no evidence that it does, but the manufacturer uses the warning to ward off any potential lengthy court battles for compensation.

I ignore such warnings.

Having said that, I do not make my own laundry detergent, I buy large buckets of Costco's brand.

regarding the grating of bar soap. My mother at first did not have a washing machine. She used a copper for boiling the whites. She used bar soap which was sold for laundry purposes when scrubbing by hand all other dirty items. It was called Velvet soap.
I loved to experiment when I was first married and with no washing machine or even electricity I did what she did but as we lived on a farm we had meat and I would save the fat from the carcass in its solid form and make my own soap for laundry purposes. The recipe I found was in a Cookery book by the CWA and it used the fat plus washing soda. I do now use a product for washing but do still love to experiment.

I always used Borax to soak my babies nappies in. Came up beautifully white. Never had a problem. Mum used it to soak my nappies. I’m almost 80 now and doing well. My kids are both in their late 50s and are very healthy. Both had a couple of kids of their own.

I bought a new front-loading washing machine in 2005. Due to frustration with companies changing formulations which caused allergy issues, I used a variation of this recipe (as a powder, not liquid) for 11 years, averaging one load per day in that time, and using white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment. The only issue I had with the machine during this time was a purely mechanical fault with the door mechanism. When going long-term travelling in 2016 and putting only non-replaceable belongings into storage, I passed the machine on to a family member, who has used a commercial product in it.

Yes, the pipes did eventually clog up, but not until last year!

As for the 'health risks' of using borax in detergent, check the risks of the chemicals used in commercially-available products.
not a lot of people know that the soap they wash their bodies and their children and babies bodies with, every day, also contains BORAX or CAUSTIC SODA at the very least! I've not used any type of soap for the past 45 years for that very reason! LOL

Reactions: Trudi and debjane
not a lot of people know that the soap they wash their bodies and their children and babies bodies with, every day, also contains BORAX or CAUSTIC SODA at the very least! I've not used any type of soap for the past 45 years for that very reason! LOL
??????

I use Aldi's DiSan, which Choice continually state are the best product
Price is very cheap compared to say such products like Omo, Surf, etc.
Don't see any need really to make my own.

Reactions: Bindii