Shocking display at the movies: Aussie’s ‘bogan’ act sparks public etiquette debate

In an age of heated social debates and cultural shifts, a new question has surfaced in the public domain: is it ever acceptable to bare your feet in public, specifically in a confined setting like a movie theatre?

This issue was sparked by an incident in an Australian cinema that has raised eyebrows and ruffled feathers worldwide.

Queensland locals were in for an unpredictable spectacle during a recent film screening, and it wasn't on the silver screen.

A couple decided to power into the 'comfort-first' approach while enjoying their cinematic experience at the local Event Cinemas in Toowoomba.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 115130.png
A couple was spotted with their feet bare at the cinema. Image source: @timothyentwistle/TikTok

The stars of this sideshow were captured in footage shared by Timothy Entwistle, emphasising the 'foot prints' they'd made on the cinema-going experience.

Entwistle's caption read: '[Point of view]: You have a premium luxury cinema experience in Australia,' casting a spotlight on the brazenly displayed feet.

'Should you at least wait until the lights go down?' he pondered.

The footage soon solicited noteworthy attention online, sparking an intellectual debate about the revelation of bare feet in public places.

Viewers labelled the incident as 'uniquely Australian' and the couple involved as 'bogan', an Aussie slang term essentially used to describe a person with an unsophisticated background or someone who lacks social grace.

Social media users were quick to share their thoughts on the foot-loose spectacle, largely converging on a common consensus that socks should be worn if shoes were to be displaced.

‘Taking your runners off is a no-no but if you’re wearing thongs, I don’t see a problem,’ someone shared.

Some suggested discretion, advocating for the lights to dim before shoes were discarded.

‘Shoes are on going in, then off when the movie starts. I am a classy bogan,’ a person remarked.

Others argued that this behaviour might be a regional phenomenon unique to Queensland.

‘Without checking I knew it was Queensland,’ someone commented.

Meanwhile, one commenter stated: 'No. Shoes stay on except for the beach, pool or home.’

‘You get kicked out for that. Shoes stay on. Disgusting,’ another said.

‘This why I don’t go to the movies. Who wants to have someone’s feet in their side view?’ a third person expressed.

The debate continues as to whether it represents a harmless display of casual comfort or a blatant disregard for social norms.

You can watch Timothy’s video here:

Source: @timothyentwistle/TikTok

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland couple's action of baring their feet in a cinema has sparked online debate about the social acceptability of such behaviour.
  • Cinema-goer Timothy Entwistle shared footage of the couple's feet during a movie session, prompting reactions from viewers.
  • While some defended the idea of removing shoes, others insisted on at least wearing socks or waiting until the lights go down.
  • Comments on social media ranged from those who supported the relaxed approach to others who labelled the behaviour as 'disgusting' and inappropriate.
What’s your take on this, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
What a load of C**P, aren't people at the movies to see the movie instead of watching the people around them and taking photos of them - invasion of privacy!!! O.K. bare feet SO WHAT??? They didn't strip naked for goodness sake. The only BOGAN in this story is Timothy Entwistle taking his phone to the movies and taking sly photos of people.

I notice the people seated in front are wearing thongs, so really where is there a difference? Personally for me, i would be more offended with the thongs, i can't stand the sight of them! But, yes, perhaps wait for the lights to be dimmed.

Reactions: maherdj and what
I grew up in a beach-side suburb in Sydney.

It was very common on hot summer days to head to the cinema after lunch to catch a movie.

It was just up the street and always air-conditioned 😁, unlike most of the shops at the time.

Nearly everyone wore thongs to the beach, and those in runners didn't have socks.

Everone coming from the beach took them off before going in to watch the show.

The ushers would frown on you if you wore them when going inside the theatre.

They would have to vacuum all the ground-in sand out of the carpets between shows, if you did.

There was a line of guys in the gents rinsing off thongs and shoes under taps provided for that purpose.

As for smelly feet, after hours of wading in the ocean all they smelled of was sea water.

• Sad
Reactions: chinkapook and what
the year round footwear of many Qld residence is either bare footed or thongs. If thongs are considered footwear can someone explain the difference of bare footed (assuming the wore something to start) and a pair of equally smelly thongs?

I hate shoes so good on them for ditching them. I probably would have kept mine on but not liked it. But I certainly wouldn’t be offended by anyone losing the shoes

This part of the Theatre is where people pay a little extra to enjoy reclining chairs & a bit of service.

This is somewhat upmarket. DRESSING APPROPRIATELY SHOULD BE THE NORM WHICH SHOULD NOT INCLUDE THONGS & DEFINITELY NOT BARE FEET WHETHER THE LIGHTS ARE ON OR OFF.

EASY TO SAY FEET ARE NOT SWEATY, BUT THOSE RUBBER THONGS OR ANY TYPE OF FOOTWEAR WORN WITHOUT SOCKS WILL MAKE FEET SWEAT & I BET THEY DIDN'T WASH THEIR FEET AFTER REMOVING THEIR SHOES. THOSE SWEATY FEET ARE COVERED IN GERMS & DO SMELL!

Reactions: maherdj
Never liked it, but I see people doing it in movie theatres.
Where have you gone all this time when going to a movie was a big deal, and you had to be dressed properly?
How can someone enjoy a movie when another person's bare feet are resting on the head?
I usually politely ask not to do it, but not all people understand it and make a scene out of it.

Reactions: maherdj and Ezzy