Shocking discovery in can leaves shopper in tears—see what’s inside!

In the age of convenience, where canned goods are a staple in every pantry, it's rare and unsettling when something goes awry with our trusted non-perishables.

For one Australian mother, a routine snack time turned into a distressing experience when she opened a can of ALDI's Sweet Valley pineapple slices, only to be greeted by an unsightly mess.

The shopper, a mum of three, had purchased the canned pineapple a month prior, storing it in her pantry with the expectation of enjoying a sweet treat with her daughter.

The anticipation turned to dismay as she peeled back the lid to reveal the pineapple covered in a mysterious creamy substance.

The expiry date was not until 26 October 2025, which made the finding even more shocking.

1719799018057.png
ALDI shopper was shocked to find mouldy pineapple slices in a can well within its expiry date. Credit: Facebook

‘I bought these like a month ago [and] had [them] in the pantry,' she wrote online.

'But opened these tonight, and I could have cried.’

‘My daughter actually really wanted them, and I love them too as a treat after dinner. I found them like this!'

'[The] expiry date [is] not until 26 October 2025. Love ALDI, never really had an issue [before].’

The post quickly garnered attention, amassing over 200 comments from equally alarmed and sympathetic users.

'That’s insane!' one exclaimed, while another was baffled, commenting, 'Oh my god, I didn’t know that was possible.'

The creamy appearance of the mould left many disgusted and puzzled.

‘[The] lid [was] not sealed properly, or it had been dropped, and the seal had popped just enough for air to get in,’ one suggested.

‘I had the same issue with tinned tomatoes from Coles.’

‘I’ve had my balsamic vinegar go mouldy in the cupboard barely open a week,’ another commented.

‘I think it’s everywhere.’

Despite the initial blame placed on ALDI, some users pointed out that such incidents are often due to manufacturing errors and not the retailer's fault.

‘I worked for IGA’s head office and we saw a lot of claims like this come through from shop owners whose customers have bought the cans back to them!’ one wrote.

‘It’s actually very common and a manufacturer issue, not ALDI’s,’

ALDI encouraged direct feedback through their help centre, allowing them to investigate and address any issues.

They assured customers they could return any unsatisfactory product for a full refund or replacement.

Attempts were made to reach the supplier, Sweet Valley, for comments, but there was no response.

In similar news, Woolworths' online delivery refund policy for items like milk and vegetables has sparked frustration among customers.

The policy allows refunds for milk expiring within five days and vegetables with a three-day best-before date, which doesn't always suit their weekly shopping needs. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper was horrified to find mouldy pineapple slices in a can that was well within its expiry date.
  • The customer shared the image on social media, prompting over 200 comments and theories on why the pineapple went mouldy.
  • ALDI encouraged customers to report issues directly to their help centre and offered a full refund or replacement for unsatisfactory products.
  • While this incident was alarming, some commenters noted that such problems are typically related to manufacturing issues rather than the retailer's fault.
Have you ever encountered a similar issue with your groceries? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Sponsored