Shocking discovery: Coles shopper reveals 'terrifying' surprise inside Tim Tam packet

A recent incident at a Coles supermarket in Burwood, Sydney's west, has left customers shocked and concerned about the cleanliness of their favourite grocery store.

The incident came to light when a customer noticed a packet of Tim Tams with distinct nibble marks on it.

The packet, which was on clearance sale for $1.80, had been torn through, with at least two of the coconut cream biscuits inside partially eaten.

The culprit? Likely a mouse or rat with a sweet tooth.

The customer took to social media to share their discovery: ‘Welcome to Burwood Coles' latest attraction.’

The post quickly gained traction, attracting almost 2,000 interactions and hundreds of comments.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 112009.png
A packet of Tim Tam with bite marks was spotted by a Coles shopper on the supermarket shelves. Image source: Reddit

One user humorously noted, 'I like how the rat took a few bites and wasn’t satisfied enough to keep going,' while another quipped, 'Even vermin have discerning taste.'

However, not all reactions were light-hearted. Some customers expressed genuine concern over the incident.

'This is terrifying. I hand my babies yoghurt pouches all the time. Seems like they'd be boxed before placed on the shelves, but I'm definitely going to be wiping them with a disinfectant wipe from now on,' one worried parent commented.

Another stated: ‘Burwood Coles is comically badly managed.’

‘(I) saw a huge rat at my local Coles just running along the top of the shelves,’ a third person shared.

In response to the incident, a Coles spokesperson assured customers that the supermarket takes the cleanliness of its stores very seriously.

'Coles takes food safety seriously, and we work hard to keep a clean environment in our stores and distribution centres,' they said.

'We have an integrated pest management system, which primarily focuses on keeping pests out and then controlling pests should they find their way in,' the spokesperson added.

This incident comes on the heels of allegations made by a Coles worker last year, who claimed that a 'complete' infestation at one of the supermarket's major distribution centres could potentially lead to rat excrement seeping into products.

The employee, who had worked at the facility for six years, had smuggled his mobile phone into the centre to capture photos and video evidence of the pest problem.

'I just think the public has a right to know how these sorts of companies pursue profit at all costs and screw them,' said the disgruntled employee, who asked not to be named.

Coles, however, maintains that it prioritises food safety and cleanliness in all its operations.

This is a reminder for consumers to be vigilant and check their purchases for any signs of tampering or damage.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper discovered a packet of Tim Tams with clear nibble marks from rodents at a Coles store in Burwood, Sydney.
  • The incident prompted significant online interaction and concern regarding food safety.
  • A Coles spokesperson reiterated the supermarket's commitment to food safety and cleanliness, noting their integrated pest management system.
  • There have been claims of a pest infestation at one of the supermarket's major distribution centres, but Coles insists on taking food safety seriously.

Have you ever encountered a similar situation with your local supermarket, members? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
🤣🤣🤣 hahaha NIBBLE marks omg please...they look like the two legged rat kind of NIBBLE marks...
Did the shopper inform staff or management? Lol or did they just jump on social media ..yet again to provide entertainment??🤣🤣🤣

I was just going to say the same thing, I didn't think rats chewed through plastic.🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀.
Of course they do. But pretty sure they'd make a much bigger mess than that. They look like people bite marks to me.
And it would surely not be a surprise if the occasional vermin snuck in. The place is full of good. What about the birds that I often see flying around inside shops popping everywhere?

I was just going to say the same thing, I didn't think rats chewed through plastic.🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀.
Rats chew through anything except metal. I have had rats trying to get the dog food in a heavy duty rubbish bin lid. I live in a rural area so always a problem. In the cities the rats live in the drains so they are always
a concern for business. Rats and cockroaches are the first things alive after radiation explosions