Shocking discovery: ALDI’s self-checkouts break the mould compared to Coles and Woolworths!

In the ever-evolving landscape of retail, convenience reigns supreme. As consumers increasingly seek efficiency in their shopping experiences, self-checkouts have emerged as a game-changer in the Australian market.

But navigating the self-service checkouts at your local grocery store can be a frustrating task for some. However, a recent comparison suggests that ALDI patrons might be having a smoother ride when it comes to bagging their purchases.

Unlike Coles and Woolworths, where shoppers often encounter pesky error messages and require staff intervention, some ALDI stores seem to offer a more lenient approach.

Reports from five Sydney locations—Bondi, Broadway, Darlinghurst, East Gardens, and Waterloo—suggest that at ALDI, not all self-checkouts enforce the strict weight verification system typically found elsewhere.

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 10.22.13.png
Aldi took a different approach to self-checkouts by not using a strict weight verification system.
Credits: Shutterstock

What does this mean for ALDI customers? Essentially, it appears that at these stores, shoppers can scan their items and bag them elsewhere without triggering any alarms if the weight doesn’t match up—unlike in other stores.

When asked about this observation, ALDI declined to comment, leaving consumers curious about the rationale behind this apparent laxity.

‘The only reason that would happen is, there is a technical fault or the business has intentionally switched off the plate,’ consumer expert Gary Mortimer as he shed some light on this matter.

‘It would seem highly irregular that they would establish new technology without that security mechanism built into it.’

‘We know that with ALDI, they do tend to “sweat their assets”. In other words, they like to not spend a great deal of capital refurbishing stores and putting in new technologies because that's how they keep their prices lower,’ he added.

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 10.23.23.png
Self-service checkout used by customers for a more efficient shopping experience.
Credits: Shutterstock

Since introducing self-checkouts in May 2021, ALDI has steadily used them across its outlets nationwide.
However, amid a surge in supermarket theft, competitors like Coles and Woolworths have ramped up security measures, including AI (Artificial Intelligence) anti-theft technology—a move not adopted to the same extent by ALDI.

While ALDI did employ security cameras within its stores, the absence of advanced theft prevention technology highlights its distinct approach to security in the retail landscape.

There have also been debates on whether the self-service checkouts should be continued.

People say that while it speeds up the shopping experience for customers, it is also taking away some of the worker’s jobs. You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI implemented a more lenient approach to self-checkouts as it did not enforce strict weight limit verification systems in its stores in five locations—Bondi, Broadway, Darlinghurst, East Gardens, and Waterloo.
  • Consumer expert Gary Mortimer suggested that this is either caused by technical issues or ALDI deliberately switched off the weight limit plates.
  • While competitors like Coles and Woolworths introduced new security measures due to the recent rise of supermarket theft, ALDI opted not to mirror them but continued using security cameras in its stores.
What do you think about ALDI’s decision on this matter? Would you use the self-checkouts at ALDI? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Aldi has the best, they are always manned. Yesterday I had to ask for Cole's employee to open one as I did not want self checkout had far too much shopping

I have used self-serve checkouts in all three stores.
I find the best is Coles for speed of getting through the checkout, and always with a willing assistant if required.
Woolworths is ok, but don't shop there regularly.
I find the Aldi self-checkouts rather confusing as the instructions on how to use them, and where to place your bags are a bit contradictory. I do a big shop there every fortnight, and usually end up going through a manned checkout for speed and efficiency.
I do a weekly shop at Coles and would have to say their checkouts are the most efficient I have used.

Reactions: MariaG and Babbie
Aldi's self checkouts 1st, Coles self checkouts 2nd and lastly Woolworths due to their dreadful software.

None of them. I expect to be served and if that is not available, I just leave the trolley full of groceries, walk out and take my business elsewhere. Don't bother attempting to chastise me or try tell me that I am unreasonable and causing price rises. I don't care. I will continue this practice until these absurd self serve contraptions are abandoned.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
Went to Woolworths today and the self serve told us a store person had to check in, as we still had items in our trolley( which we didn’t). We hadn’t used all of our bags that we carry and the cameras picked up that they were in our trolley. so you‘re supposed to hold your empty bags in your hands whilst trying to pay for your groceries or else you’ll get picked up as being a theif.

None of them. I expect to be served and if that is not available, I just leave the trolley full of groceries, walk out and take my business elsewhere. Don't bother attempting to chastise me or try tell me that I am unreasonable and causing price rises. I don't care. I will continue this practice until these absurd self serve contraptions are abandoned.
Well you might not like self serve check outs, but many do. It is called choice, which we all have in a democracy. You sound very angry. Try a happy pill old boy!

• Angry
Reactions: I'm Mal
Well you might not like self serve check outs, but many do. It is called choice, which we all have in a democracy. You sound very angry. Try a happy pill old boy!
Do you need a pair of glasses? I said don't bother. I DON'T CARE! Can you read it this time? Don't patronise me!

Do you need a pair of glasses? I said don't bother. I DON'T CARE! Can you read it this time?
Yes, I have my glasses on. You poor miserable, bitter individual. Perhaps the Easter bunny can cheer you up, he is coming soon! 😆😆

good on you

Speaking from experience, some stores do not allow choice. There have been times I have seen Coles and WW stores with no manned checkout. Most recently a visit to a Coles outlet had no operator anywhere, not even the Express. I am OK to use self serve only if I have a very small shop. I, like Babbie, would love to have a choice. Problem is quite often there is no choice offered.

Reactions: Babbie
Speaking from experience, some stores do not allow choice. There have been times I have seen Coles and WW stores with no manned checkout. Most recently a visit to a Coles outlet had no operator anywhere, not even the Express. I am OK to use self serve only if I have a very small shop. I, like Babbie, would love to have a choice. Problem is quite often there is no choice offered.

That is interesting that all large supermarkets don’t offer self serve . I have been to several states and never had that issue! They all offered self serve.

That is interesting that all large supermarkets don’t offer self serve . I have been to several states and never had that issue! They all offered self serve.
I have been to stores in my area where the MANNED checkouts have been closed, hence, no choice. I don't know what areas do and probably will never have the need to find out.

I have been to stores in my area where the MANNED checkouts have been closed, hence, no choice. I don't know what areas do and probably will never have the need to find out.
Maybe it depends on size of store and staffing issues.

Yes, I have my glasses on. You poor miserable, bitter individual. Perhaps the Easter bunny can cheer you up, he is coming soon! 😆😆
I am quite happy, not that it is any of your business. You rude, arrogant, belligerent creep. Perhaps it is you that needs the Easter Bunny to cheer you up.

I am quite happy, not that it is any of your business. You rude, arrogant, belligerent creep. Perhaps it is you that needs the Easter Bunny to cheer you up.
Dear me? Name calling, that says it all!!!!

It won't happen, keep waiting. Another pain in the ars* aren't you. What a childish thing to do, leave a trolley full of shopping.

• Angry
Reactions: I'm Mal