Shocking data reveals the true cost of Facebook Marketplace scams - learn how to avoid becoming the next victim!

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we strive to keep our members informed about the latest news and practical advice, especially when it comes to navigating the ever-changing world of technology.

Today, we want to share an important and alarming story concerning a rising number of online marketplace scams.

A new trend called ‘quick fire’ scams are taking hold of online marketplaces, with fraudsters using crafty tactics to take advantage of unsuspecting buyers and sellers on online platforms.

The true cost of these scams has recently been revealed by startling data, and learning how to avoid becoming the next victim is crucial.

online1.jpg
A new ‘quick fire’ scam is taking over online marketplaces. Credit: PhotoMIX Company/Pexels

One such instance involved a Sydney mum named Paige Hinson. Paige had innocently listed her garden furniture on Facebook Marketplace after her young family moved to a new home. Within a few minutes, a seemingly interested buyer, using the name ‘Rosi’, contacted her.

Little did Paige know that she was being pushed straight into a trap.

Paige explained: ‘They were quite pushy and wanted to come and pick up the furniture the next day, which I was quite excited about because it was a $700 sale, and my husband said that was way too expensive.’

Rosi, claiming to be a middle-aged woman, first instructed Paige to transfer $500 into a PayPal business account for the purpose of verifying legitimacy. Paige, though a little unsure, gave her email address, thinking, ‘You can't possibly get scammed with just an email address.’

online2.jpg
Paige said she received a legitimate-looking email from the payment platform. Credit: Facebook/News.com.au

She then received a seemingly official email from PayPal. It was only at the last minute, after providing proof of her PayPal account and almost transferring the money, that Paige had a ‘gut feeling’ something was wrong.

She called her bank, which confirmed her suspicions.

‘I was essentially about to hit transfer, so I was quite lucky. I think the trick was it was so intense and quick, you don’t have time to think,’ Paige explained.

This worrying example highlights how quickly fraudsters can act and how convincingly they can deceive. Paige's experience shows that even well-intentioned, decent individuals can get caught up in these complex schemes.

And many of the victims, including Paige, never report to authorities.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), Australians lost more than $3 billion to scammers in 2022.

However, new data commissioned by start-up Sell Securely has shown that the true hidden cost of scams is much higher – around $9.3 billion.

The national survey discovered that over 52 per cent of Australians have been scammed, some multiple times. Alarmingly, 66 per cent of those victims have never reported it, which means around 6.7 million Australians are going without compensation or support after being scammed.

Rob Neely, Sell Securely Founder and Director, noted that an increasing number of these scams occur on social media, particularly on Facebook and its Marketplace feature.

Almost 45 per cent of Australians were scammed on social messaging and marketplaces.

Neely explained the ‘quick fire’ scam: ‘And because you can only directly contact the seller, not comment, they can shoot rapid-fire messages to multiple people 20, 30 times a day.’

Most scams are under $100, so victims often don't report them, but this leaves scammers to continue fooling innocent people, Neely added.

So, how can you protect yourself from falling prey to these scams? Neely advises:
  • Use secure platforms that hold transactions in escrow until both parties are satisfied.
  • If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious, and don't feel pressured to send deposits quickly.
  • Verify the person’s identity by asking for identification and making sure their account is legitimate.
  • Lastly, if you do find yourself caught in a scam, Neely implores you to report it – especially to the ACCC, no matter how small the loss might be.

Raising awareness and increasing vigilance are key to preventing these scams from affecting more innocent individuals.
Key Takeaways
  • A new 'quick fire' scam is targeting users on Facebook Marketplace, with fraudsters posing as buyers to trap unsuspecting sellers.
  • The true cost of scams in Australia is estimated at around $9.3 billion, according to a national survey by start-up Sell Securely.
  • Around 45 per cent of Australians have been scammed on social messaging and marketplaces, with many not reporting their experiences to authorities.
  • To prevent scams, users are advised to verify the identity of potential buyers, avoid sending deposits, and report any scams to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
Stay safe in your online buying and selling endeavours, and keep sharing important information like this with your family and friends!

Sponsored
I would never use marketplace, know too many people who have been scammed. I will buy from One Day Closer to Rain on Facebook. They are country people trying to make a living with handmade goods. Never had a problem with them.

Use Marketplace regularly and have never had an issue.
Always trade “can only”.
what I don’t understand is if Paige was SELLING the goods why would she transfer money into someone else’s account.
If using marketplace to purchase an item NEVER pay before collection.
If using marketplace to sell NEVER hand over items until you have the money.
The only reason these scams succeed is because of people’s stupidity.
Old saying: Stupid is as Stupid does!

So many scams, two in my inbox today.

Surely a business could be et up to catch them?

It could be lucrative, if Legislation was created by those that can, and implemented by those that should, they could then MASSIVELY fine and block these lowlifes, from ALL internet use and return funds or part of, if names can be found?

I know it's the old Should'a, could'a, would'a, lament..

Oh, I thought it was just me and my incredible good looks and effervescent sparkly personality that attracts these emails and phone enquiries from SOILED DOVES.

AS OF TODAY, the number is 83 since January.

Yes, I have been living the life of a ROCK STAR with no doubt scantily clad attractive females clamoring for my attention daily and me just dismissing them without a seconds thought.

Very SHEIK of me, or I thought I was and now I hear due to the fluid gender thing, that they are targeting females too...

Saucy!

What A world.

Oh, I thought it was just me and my incredible good looks and effervescent sparkly personality that attracts these emails and phone enquiries from SOILED DOVES.

AS OF TODAY, the number is 83 since January.

Yes, I have been living the life of a ROCK STAR with no doubt scantily clad attractive females clamoring for my attention daily and me just dismissing them without a seconds thought.

Very SHEIK of me, or I thought I was and now I hear due to the fluid gender thing, that they are targeting females too...

Saucy!

What A world.
Like my screen-name, my email is also "mothergoose" but apparently that isn't obvious enough for them to realise my gender.

I know just exactly what you mean. As a woman, getting penis enlargement advice is such a waste of time. Luckily I delete them straight away I am not interested in passing on advice to males of my acquaintance thank you.

A useful website is www.scamwatch.gov.au. Scamwatch is a website run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), and provides information to consumers about types of scams, getting help, and reporting scams, etc. You can sign up and get regular emails about the latest scams. Also, in WA, there is the state government's Scamnet (under Consumer Protection WA) which does much the same.

A useful website is www.scamwatch.gov.au. Scamwatch is a website run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), and provides information to consumers about types of scams, getting help, and reporting scams, etc. You can sign up and get regular emails about the latest scams. Also, in WA, there is the state government's Scamnet (under Consumer Protection WA) which does much the same.
Thank you for sharing! www.scamwatch.gov.au is a valuable resource run by the ACCC, offering information on scams, assistance, and reporting options. For residents of Western Australia, Scamnet under Consumer Protection WA provides similar services. Stay informed and protected from scams by signing up for regular email updates. :cool:

Last edited:
It has been three weeks now, since I took matters into my own hands after scam watch and repeated blocking and pleas to get the soiled doves and the Ukranian dating sites to please stop contacting me proved to not work. It was an ongoing issue as despite living the life of a rockstar I have been bombarded since early January, by these people and I needed to end their ongoing emails to me.

As a senior aged Australian larrikin, well-versed in bawdy building site humour, I constructed letters to both sites that could not ever be posted here, very clearly identifying that my response shall incrementally escalate until such time as they finally realize that as a 70-year-old male, I am just not interested in their business model.

I used far more colorful language to convey that and opted to employ various forms of highly descriptive lalochezia to express my ongoing distain. As of about three weeks back, all communication from them, finally stopped. The thing is I personally am a feline natured person who rarely swears or raises his voice, and yet my experience did identify to me that at times there are those that do require a very direct emotional response and there's nothing like good old-fashioned heart to heart rapport, with some people, when needing to resolve an ongoing issue!

I use Marketplace and had a similar scumbag "buyer" wanting my Paypal address, I just shut them down. I have had no real issues, get more scam artists in Gumtree than I do Marketplace.

same here !
Exactly. I had a lady wanting to send me money for an item via UPS then once I had the money she would arrange pick up.
She wanted name, address & email details.
iI told her where to Stick the deal.